Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:28 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times

Advertisements

Does an iPad do many things that a regular pc type tablet (don't know the correct name) does?

I'm trying to decide which to get. I do a lot of email, writing, opening documents and PDFs etc.

Regualr tablets are around $160 cheaper but I'm wodering if going for the iPad is better...also I was thinking the mini.

Does anyone who has a mini wish they'd gotten the regualr size one?

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by adventuregurl; 08-16-2013 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 06:53 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Could you show us what a "regular tablet" is?

An iPad is a regular tablet. So are Android tablets, and Windows RT tablets, and...

Old 08-16-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Could you show us what a "regular tablet" is?

An iPad is a regular tablet. So are Android tablets, and Windows RT tablets, and...
I meant a non-apple tablet, I don't know the difference between the others but assume theyr're more like a PC an an iPad is more like a MAC but I could be completely worng...I guess I just need help on what to get and if an iPad is best for me for what I mentioned above - of course I will learn to use all the other benefits too.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I do a lot of email, writing, opening documents and PDFs etc..
Don't get a tablet.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:29 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Don't get a tablet.
I'd have to agree to a point. Tablets are wonderful devices. I've recently changed over from packing a laptop to a tab as my standard travel tech, but they are by in large a consumption tool. Perfectly fine for keeping up with emails, reviewing documents, viewing media. However if I need to accomplish some 'serious' work (I'll let you try and decide what that means) there are just too many things that keep a tablet from allowing you to work efficiently.

Biggest problem I find are the lack of a keyboard (yeah, I know you can pack along a keyboard), printer connectivity (again, there are ways around it), first rate business software (again, I'm sure are great word processors available, but it takes some consideration). Not insurmountable problems, but by the time you get them resolved you might as well have just gotten a little laptop.

I guess what I would suggest is, if you have a smartphone, try and imagine if you could do everything you need to do using the phone, but with a larger, easier surface to work with. If so, you'll be fine with a tablet, if not you might consider a different tool.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:16 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I meant a non-apple tablet, I don't know the difference between the others but assume theyr're more like a PC an an iPad is more like a MAC but I could be completely worng...I guess I just need help on what to get and if an iPad is best for me for what I mentioned above - of course I will learn to use all the other benefits too.
You have a few options.

1) iPad. You can run Pages and get a bluetooth keyboard.
2) Windows RT. Windows, but without any of the classic desktop programs. You get Office. The app selection is rather limited.
3) Windows 8. Windows, running on x86. Works just like a regular PC and can run all your existing software.
4) Android. You could use something like QuickOffice, maybe there are others? I didn't like any of the office programs I used on Android phones - they looked awful and were miserable to use.

I would opt for a (cheaper) tablet - maybe the iPad mini - for content consumption and a real laptop or desktop.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:19 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
I would just get a lightweight laptop. It does it all, it is cheaper, it has more software available for it, it's easier to lay on a table and it really isn't that much bigger. I don't get why anybody would exchange a small lightweight laptop for a tablet. (You want GPS? You have your phone.)

You lose so much just to have a slightly smaller form factor. But with a tablet, at least you look cool at starbucks surfing facebook.

One in four Brits 'regret' buying an iPad: Waste of money, or time wasting tablet? | ZDNet

Tablets are a Waste of Time. Don't Buy One. - MobileRead Forums

No matter how hard I try, I can't find a reason to own a tablet | PhoneDog

Tablets are useless toys and a waste of money. | IGN Boards

Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 AM

Great posts, thank you. I haven't made up my mind yet and am not really in a rush to.

The last couple of times I travelled I found carrying a bag big enough for my laptop (I have 2 but they're both 17") was a pain and on one of the flights I had to check my hand luggage as most people are too cheap to pay for a checked bag, and the planes are getting too full. It burns me that I fork out the money for a checked bag but twice now have been the one to have to check my hand luggage. I need something light that will do the job and fit in a purse or small bag.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:10 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
If you need a tablet, get a tablet. Tablets are supplements to, not replacements for, laptops. Since you already know that, and have a specific need, you can ignore all the “don’t get a table” responses.

The most important things to consider are specs, build quality and app selection. A lot of budget tablets are junk; you get what you pay for. Go with a top model from a recognized company.

A big difference between operating systems right now is app availability. This is where Microsoft really lags. They don’t have much market share so developers aren’t putting out a lot of apps. However, if you already use Windows 8, there maybe synergies between your laptops and tablet that are worth considering. Similarly if you’re a Mac user I’d definitely go with an iPad.

Full-sized tablets are already small and light. They’re perfectly sized for reading documents, etc., and are a great substitute for a briefcase full of papers. I suspect the mini tablet market if for people who want a tablet at a lower price point, rather than people using it as a work tool.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:45 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I suspect the mini tablet market if for people who want a tablet at a lower price point, rather than people using it as a work tool.
Not necessarily. As previously mentioned, I'm now using a tablet for my travel gear and initially started out with an iPad. Being a bit a of gadget freak (and not being thrilled about having a $400 piece of tech get trashed on the road) I picked up a Hisense tab at WalMart for a whopping $149.00 (that has since dropped to $129.00) if for no other reason than, as you point out, a lower price point, and I was curious about how useful that form factor would really be.

Turns out I've seldom picked up the iPad since then other than to keep a charge on it. I was surprised as anyone that during travel a 7" tablet is considerably easier to live with. Using it on the airplane, given passenger space these days, is more comfortable. If I'm in a Starbucks (looking like one of the cool kids as someone on another thread mentioned :snark) it's much easier to fit on the table with me. While it's hard to offer complaints about either weight-wise, the smaller tab is simply less to pack around. Oddly enough, I've really grown fond of the little bugger. If you feel the need to go with a top brand-recognized company, a Nexus 7 would be hard to beat although I understand there have been a few issues with the latest incarnation.

I think there's been some great advise offered in the thread. I would only add if the OP does choose to go the laptop route the website "The Verge" just posted an article about choosing a laptop that might be worth looking at. They also cover "Chromebooks", something I have virtually no familiarity with but might be of interest.

Last edited by take57; 08-18-2013 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets