Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:11 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,266,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Windows RT is software and is not a cheaper version of Microsoft's Surface Pro Tablet (a piece of hardware). Windows RT is a new operating system from Microsoft that is currently being used with tablets that are intended to compete with the iPad and Android tablets.

Windows RT (software) and Windows RT Tablets (hardware) do not run Windows 8. Windows 8 is a completely different operating system (which also happens to be available on tablets, along with desktops and laptops).
Perhaps the reason that Microsoft tablets have done so poorly is that having two operating systems and ambiguous nomenclature for devices is simply too confusing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 AM

15,402 posts, read 25,678,059 times
I don't think it's too confusing, I think they wanted too much money for it. I wold be using a Surface now if I could afford one.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:59 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,404,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't think it's too confusing, I think they wanted too much money for it. I wold be using a Surface now if I could afford one.
I would pay $200, maybe $300; that is about all I pay for anything.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:42 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,266,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
That’s a different issue.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,025,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Perhaps the reason that Microsoft tablets have done so poorly is that having two operating systems and ambiguous nomenclature for devices is simply too confusing?
I believe that I suggested that in an earlier post on this thread. Microsoft didn't market the two products as they are.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:09 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,025,885 times
Quote:
INo one really needs a $350 tablet to write, when there are cheaper alternatives out there .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think they wanted too much money for it. I wold be using a Surface now if I could afford one.
Quote:
Quote:
That’s a different issue.
They sold thousands last week when they dropped the price of Surface RT refurbs (w/ 1year MS warranty) down to $200. They were literally selling 100s per minute... and it sold out quick. Just like you implied, people were interested at a lower price point.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:49 AM

14 posts, read 15,131 times
I have both iPad and Laptop. I use them not the same purpose.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:31 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,402,219 times
Quote:
I suspect the mini tablet market if for people who want a tablet at a lower price point, rather than people using it as a work tool.
If a tablet won't fit in my pocket I won't buy it. Simple as that.

I walk down the street listening to audiobooks. I don't want to have to carry anything to hold my tablet. I admit the problem is the things being cheap. My Nexus 7-12 died after 14 months.

psik

Old 12-25-2013, 12:23 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,207,743 times
well my brief love affair with any tablet that does not have a full size keyboard is over... I'd consider them fine for vacations or emergencies otherwise I want a full size keyboard running windows... they can't even get Bluetooth controllers working right and don't get me started with clumsy touchscreen typing, and the random behavior of being unable to properly backspace to delete text also that annoying typing option dialog on the right hand side of the space bar that gets accidentally pushed all the time.... reminds me of Google chrome.... clumsy just because.... android still needs work.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:54 PM

20,259 posts, read 36,969,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
well my brief love affair with any tablet that does not have a full size keyboard is over... I'd consider them fine for vacations or emergencies otherwise I want a full size keyboard running windows... they can't even get Bluetooth controllers working right and don't get me started with clumsy touchscreen typing, and the random behavior of being unable to properly backspace to delete text also that annoying typing option dialog on the right hand side of the space bar that gets accidentally pushed all the time.... reminds me of Google chrome.... clumsy just because.... android still needs work.
Are you aware that you can buy keyboards for any table on the market? You don't have to use the screen keyboard if you don't want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets