U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times

Advertisements

Otter Box add far too much bulk and IMO should not be considered for a tablet unless it is going to be in a harsh environment or abused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 01:05 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Otter makes cases for most tablets, just different case models. The "Defender," made for the iPad, is quite expensive. But my employer paid for it, although I ordered it from Amazon since it was cheaper there:
Amazon Kindle cases covers | OtterBox
Strange. The first search I did only gave Apple products. Today it gave an entirely different result. Freaky. Those that are available for Samsung look awfully heavy and there isn't one yet for the new 2014 edition.

I'm looking for a leather case that folds over to protect the screen and has a "leg" that supports it in an upright position.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:00 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Otter Box add far too much bulk and IMO should not be considered for a tablet unless it is going to be in a harsh environment or abused.
Or if the table is expensive and there is a chance that you will drop it. But I do agree with you in that the Otter is a little bulky. We got the Otter at my workplace for the added protection, since the iPads are being used during building maintenance, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and so on (around 100 workers).

Old 10-22-2013, 08:46 AM

498 posts, read 816,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Galaxy Tab Accessories: Galaxy Tab Cases, Keyboards & More | Samsung

It drives me nuts people want to spend $20 on a case for a $400+ device. Spend some money for quality.

This from a guy that did spend almost nothing on his wife's $500 iPad case... and broke her iPad because it was just so damn cheap. The expensive one I got her to replace it is so very nice. TOP quality. Spend a few dollars and get a REAL case Tek. No offense to to Moku crowd.
For me a case is not so much about providing protection as providing a convenient way to sit the tablet up. It's lightweight, there's nothing in the way of the screen, the speakers are unblocked, and it sits exactly the way I want it. It fits all of my own needs perfectly. And aside from that, from what I can see on the pictures none of the good protective cases can sit the tablet up (for my nexus 10 at least), which to me is by far the most important feature of a case.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
The Cheap case that I bought my wife, which was like $20, did not damage the iPad because it fell while in it. It was so cheaply made that the little flap that held it in the case failed to do its job. I blame no one other then myself. And that's when I thought to myself... "Self...you bought a $500 device. $500! And you were too cheap to spend a few EXTRA dollars on a case for that expensive device? Really?"
That's like putting Cooper tires on a Lamborghini.
Lesson learned.
It just happened to be around July 4th. iSkin has a huge sale every July 4th. So I got this $100 case for $50.
iSkin aura2: Premium Multi-Functional Folio w/ Display Stand for iPad
The difference between this and the cheap one I got is immeasurable.

Point made?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:34 PM

13,317 posts, read 20,368,637 times
I have a Gumdrop case for my ipad.

Amazon.com: Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Series Case for Apple iPad 2, iPad 3 and Apple iPad with Retina Display (Lightning Connector) - Red/Black: Electronics

It does add bulk, but I got it because it makes it super easy to hold the ipad in my hands.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:09 PM

While all these cases are nice, not a one of them is made for the tablet I have or any tablet remotely near to what I have.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:32 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,563,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Otter Box is only for Apple products as far as I can tell. As stated in the OP I have a Samsung 2014 Edition.
otterbox is for samsung to i had one on my s4. maybe your thinking about the lifeproof cases. though life proof has one out now for tha s4 and verizon no longer has the otter box case for the s4

Old 10-24-2013, 02:34 PM

Reading the entire thread can make a difference in a response. Given that I still appreciate the input.

Quote:
Otter Box is only for Apple products as far as I can tell. As stated in the OP I have a Samsung 2014 Edition.
Quote:
Strange. The first search I did only gave Apple products. Today it gave an entirely different result. Freaky. Those that are available for Samsung look awfully heavy and there isn't one yet for the new 2014 edition.

I'm looking for a leather case that folds over to protect the screen and has a "leg" that supports it in an upright position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
otterbox is for samsung to i had one on my s4. maybe your thinking about the lifeproof cases. though life proof has one out now for tha s4 and verizon no longer has the otter box case for the s4

Old 10-24-2013, 03:03 PM

We decided on cases. The ones we wanted aren't going to be available before we travel so we bought two of these.

COD Stand Leather Case For Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Tablet (Black)

And two types of screen protection. I'm going to use the liquid and if we like it Mrs. Tek will as well. If not she'll keep the sheet protector.

The cases are inexpensive enough that we can buy something different if we don't like them without feeling like we were ripped off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets