U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:27 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times

Advertisements

Well you are that rare individual. It's pretty proven that staring at a lit up screen causes eye strain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 11:09 PM

141 posts, read 404,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Well you are that rare individual. It's pretty proven that staring at a lit up screen causes eye strain.
Not rare at all, everyone I know prefers a tablet. Modern high-end tablets screens look fine under any lighting conditions that are comfortable for reading. The e-ink ads still peddle the same old BS about superb performance under direct sunlight, yada-yada. Reality check: e-ink screens or even good olde paper's glare will burn your eyes out under direct sunlight

And in the dark, it's tablets all the way. Even the self-lit state-of-the-art Kindle Paperwhite can't hold a candle to Kindle Fire or Nexus 10.

Of course, if you compare a junk $70 tablet you buy on dx.com to a decent e-ink screen, of course here e-ink wins. But with Kindle Fire, Nexus 10, Nook HD+ - bye-bye e-ink. Good to know ya.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:57 PM

7,543 posts, read 15,684,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekie View Post
Not rare at all, everyone I know prefers a tablet. Modern high-end tablets screens look fine under any lighting conditions that are comfortable for reading. The e-ink ads still peddle the same old BS about superb performance under direct sunlight, yada-yada. Reality check: e-ink screens or even good olde paper's glare will burn your eyes out under direct sunlight

And in the dark, it's tablets all the way. Even the self-lit state-of-the-art Kindle Paperwhite can't hold a candle to Kindle Fire or Nexus 10.

Of course, if you compare a junk $70 tablet you buy on dx.com to a decent e-ink screen, of course here e-ink wins. But with Kindle Fire, Nexus 10, Nook HD+ - bye-bye e-ink. Good to know ya.
Totally disagree. I read probably 3-5 books a week and I have a netbook, ipad, Kindle Fire and a Kindle Paperwhite. Always go to the Paperwhite for reading (particularly extended reading - entire chapters or entire books) because it is so much better on the eyes and so much better in all lighting conditions.

And you CAN sit outside in bright light and read easily on a Paperwhite when regular tablet or phone screens are entirely "glared out" and very hard to read.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
And you CAN sit outside in bright light and read easily on a Paperwhite when regular tablet or phone screens are entirely "glared out" and very hard to read.
Quoted for truth. EVERY tablet out there is harder to read in direct sunlight. Period. This is not me being a fanboi.

That's an iPad2 versus a Kindle. Yes, it's exaggerated. You can make it black pages and white text and it's a little easier to see (as I did on my vaca).

E-Ink vs. LCD: What’s The Difference? » DAVID DERRICO

It just is better and easier on your eyes. No one argues this anywhere. Show me one link where someone says LCD tabs are better.

This is the draw of the "E-ink" tablet. Even the best full color backlight LCD tablet has a screen that creates glare in the brightest light. I just got back from vacation and was reading a book in direct sunlight on my Asus TF300T. It worked ok. It was readable. But with the reflection cast by this quality tablet it was a little annoying to see a reflection of ME in the glass. This does NOT happen on an E-Ink reader.

I get you like your tablet. I adore mine. But when it comes to straight up easiest to read books: The Kindle/Nook E-ink tablets are best.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:34 PM

62 posts, read 74,214 times
I have and love my tablet!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:45 AM

No one is saying not to get a Tablet Cpstence but thanks for the input!

Old 12-10-2013, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 3,245 times
I have both, I use tablet for movies and music, while e-ink reader is for reading only. I don't like reading on tha tablet.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:04 PM

7,293 posts, read 6,672,673 times
If you are reading books, an e-reader. The battery life blows away a tablet, it's not even close, plus you can read in the sunlight. The kindle paperwhites have just a wonderful screen.

If you are reading magazines, a tablet. My solution... buy them both. I wouldn't get a kindle fire until amazon loosens up and opens up the play store on them and allows people with prime accounts to watch videos on amazon video on other tablets other than their brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets