U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:55 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,533,304 times

Advertisements

I already own the Ipad 3 with retina display. I used it for pretty much everything i used to use a laptop for. I also use it as an e-reader but its a bit too heavy for that. I'm thinking of buying an ipad mini just as an e-reader the only thing holding me back is the expense and whether or not i should pay $100 more for the retina display ipad mini. Does the retina display matter much when reading e-books?

I don't really want to buy a lesser quality device so the kindle and any other of the cheaper tablets/e-readers is not an option. I owned the original Kindle Fire and it was horrible. Couldn't browse on it and i don't like the fact that Kindle doesn't have page numbers with its books.

so how much difference would there be between the ipad mini and the ipad mini 2? If its just for reading books and occasional browsing is it worth plunking down the extra $100?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 09:06 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I would get a new Kindle Paperwhite if you really want a dedicated E-Reader.
Unless you plan to sell the iPad3 it makes zero sense to me to own both.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:21 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,533,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I would get a new Kindle Paperwhite if you really want a dedicated E-Reader.
Unless you plan to sell the iPad3 it makes zero sense to me to own both.
i don't like Kindle products. I've owned two of them. Do the books still lack page numbers?

Old 11-16-2013, 11:21 AM

14,383 posts, read 21,053,836 times
Default Your definitive answer

Daring Fireball: The Retina iPad Mini will answer your questions

Old 11-16-2013, 01:10 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,354,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I already own the Ipad 3 with retina display. I used it for pretty much everything i used to use a laptop for. I also use it as an e-reader but its a bit too heavy for that. I'm thinking of buying an ipad mini just as an e-reader the only thing holding me back is the expense and whether or not i should pay $100 more for the retina display ipad mini. Does the retina display matter much when reading e-books?

I don't really want to buy a lesser quality device so the kindle and any other of the cheaper tablets/e-readers is not an option. I owned the original Kindle Fire and it was horrible. Couldn't browse on it and i don't like the fact that Kindle doesn't have page numbers with its books.

so how much difference would there be between the ipad mini and the ipad mini 2? If its just for reading books and occasional browsing is it worth plunking down the extra $100?
The old iPad mini has poor screen resolution and it comes with the A5 chip, the same one seen on IPhone 4s and IPod 5th generation. The new IPad mini 2 comes with the A7 chip (same as IPad air and IPhone 5s) which apple claims is 4 times faster than the A5 chip. As for the kindle I have never used the tablet but the new HDX line is supposed to have the faster processor for any tablet and they've improved their browser, though not sure how it compares to Safari or Chrome (which is on all android tablets).

As for your comment on other tablets being of lesser quality, I wouldn't call the Nexus 7 (2013 version) a bad tablet. In fact N7 seemed to outperform the older iPads 1-4 and the 1st mini, so its no slouch. Its also at a great price $229 for 16GB / $269 for 32GB still less than the original Mini.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:07 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,966,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post

The Nexus 7 (2013) is $170 cheaper than the iPad Mini 2 and it's not a lesser device, imo. The only thing the iPad Mini would have over the Nexus 7 is the tablet optimized app offerings.

If you want a device for reading, get a Kindle Paper White.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:36 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I've never seen an E-Reader that didn't have page numbers. The app on my tablet (Google) doesn't display the page number but they are there if you tap the page.

You could also get a Nook from B&N.

Bottom line: you have an iPad3. Do not buy any other kind of Tablet like that if you plan to keep the 3. That just makes no sense. And if your stated goal is to get an EReader you absolutely should get a Nook or Kindle.
Even if they don't have page numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
The old iPad mini has poor screen resolution
Wow. Have we become this jaded? Poor screen resolution? Surely, you haven't actually looked at one.
You wouldn't say that if you had. There is nothing wrong with the Mini screen or the processor in it or or or.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:43 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,354,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The Nexus 7 (2013) is $170 cheaper than the iPad Mini 2 and it's not a lesser device, imo. The only thing the iPad Mini would have over the Nexus 7 is the tablet optimized app offerings.

If you want a device for reading, get a Kindle Paper White.
I believe one of the technology critics said that apps for smaller android tablets being an issue are becoming non-issues thanks to giant phones like the Note 3 and Xperia Ultra.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:28 PM

844 posts, read 2,708,467 times
We have the iPad-3 and the iPad Mini-1. My wife uses the Mini as her eReader, and loves it. She has various book Apps like Nook and Kindle on it, and gets free books from them.

From what I've seen, the Mini-2 has much better resolution, and that's the one to get.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:30 AM

14,383 posts, read 21,053,836 times
Default This WAS our family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
We have the iPad-3 and the iPad Mini-1. My wife uses the Mini as her eReader, and loves it. She has various book Apps like Nook and Kindle on it, and gets free books from them. From what I've seen, the Mini-2 has much better resolution, and that's the one to get.
This WAS our family until the wife's iPad Mini with Retina Display arrived on Thursday. Amazing easier to read text on the new iPad Mini.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or