U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 03:32 PM

4,598 posts, read 4,067,314 times

Advertisements

I am looking into getting our child an ipad air soon. It is required for high school as the school does over 60% of their text books electronically.

We're pc people - I know nothing about mac.

We're looking at the 64gb model so it will last the next 4 years of school. I see it comes with a cable and a powerbrick. Now I'm looking at additional accessories.

We'll need a case, of course. I've looked at the Zaggkey Folio which is case and keyboard combined. I've also looked at the Griffin slim keyboard folio, also a case/keyboard.

Do you think this is the right way to go, case and keyboard combination? Or would you suggest separate?

Are there other brands to look at that I just haven't found?

Should I look into other accessories?

Also, do you insure your ipad under your homeowners policy? I figure once we get all the things needed, it'll be a $1k purchase and I want that protected!!!

Am I missing anything??? I really am clueless about this.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 04:44 PM

13,317 posts, read 20,368,637 times
The iPad Air runs iOS7, so it's not a Mac. Mac is very different. A combo case and Keyboard is a good idea. I think it can be covered by homeowner's insurance, but I don't know enough to be sure.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:33 PM

Thanks.

See, told you I didn't know anything. I didn't know it wasn't the same operating system...

Old 11-19-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Thanks.

See, told you I didn't know anything. I didn't know it wasn't the same operating system...
No problem. The iPad is very easy to learn and use.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
An iPAD IS REQUIRED NOW?!?! That's just wrong.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,056,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It’s pretty common in private schools. In my old school, iPads are required for all students starting the third grade. The technology is integrated throughout the entire school. Sick student can even live-stream of their classes on their iPad from home.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:34 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,311,966 times
Quote:
That's not as bad as what the L.A. Unified School District is doing with taxpayer's money -- providing free iPads to all of its students and teachers without fully evaluating the "educational" software that's supposed to be used on them.
L.A. Unified schools to move forward with trimmed-down iPad plan - Los Angeles Times
iPad software licenses expire in three years, L.A. Unified says - latimes.com
LAUSD school board signals intent to move forward with iPad plan

During last year's "trial run", at least 71 of those LAUSD iPads went "missing." Most likely, some folks left the district and decided to take those "free" iPads with them.
71 iPads issued to students have gone missing, LAUSD says - Los Angeles Times
Consequences for lost, stolen LAUSD iPads not yet 'hammered out' - Los Angeles Times

Old 11-20-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
It's only required in some places, not everywhere.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Actually I'm welcoming it.

If you had seen my child, who still weighs less than 100lbs (runs cross country & track - very lean!) struggle with a backpack that weighs 50lbs (and will only increase with a high school workload!) you would be happy to know that a tablet that weighs ONE pound will cover 60% of the textbook material.

Plus it can be used for the next 4 years. I figure $200ish per year is the real cost. With the actual days spent in school at 175 days, that's just over $1 per day.

Yeah, I'm ok with it.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:05 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Actually I'm welcoming it.

If you had seen my child, who still weighs less than 100lbs (runs cross country & track - very lean!) struggle with a backpack that weighs 50lbs (and will only increase with a high school workload!) you would be happy to know that a tablet that weighs ONE pound will cover 60% of the textbook material.

Plus it can be used for the next 4 years. I figure $200ish per year is the real cost. With the actual days spent in school at 175 days, that's just over $1 per day.

Yeah, I'm ok with it.
Not as bad idea at all, but iPads are hot items with thief's. While I don't like to pay for iCloud service, Apple has a couple of free apps. One is called "find my iPhone or iPad" (something like that) in case it gets stolen.

My employer provided iPads to all our employees. Most of the work we do is building maintenance (HVAC, heating, plumbing, alar systems, electrical, and everything else). We do all our paperwork electronically on the iPad, and if needed take photos of the project and send them across in a matter of seconds. Also, we sometimes have teleconferences showing the repairs that are taking place, or just to ask for advise from technicians at other locations throughout the US.

A lot of students at the university are now using iPads, specially during class lectures.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-20-2013 at 07:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or