U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 08:35 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,963,864 times

Advertisements

What is the speed your tablet connects to the internet from home?

My home internet is a cable connection with max download speed 15Mbps and upload speed 1Mbps.

When I tested my computer's internet connection at http://www.speedtest.net/ my computer reached 16Mbps/1Mbps using an Ethernet cable to the router.

However, my Nexus 7 tablet only reaches 11.5Mbps download and 1Mbps upload when connected to the router with WiFi.

You can download a free speed test app from Google Play here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.speedtest

Last edited by RD5050; 12-05-2013 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:41 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
PC: .... 16.21 / 0.84 (DL/UL) in Mbps
Tablet: 16.03 / 1.11
Cell: ... 16.00 / 1.13

Used same utility as the OP, (Speed Test by Ookla at Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test and their Android apps),
from my home, (Raleigh, NC),
to a server that's only a few miles away,
with my cell and tablet within 5' of my router,
run midday.

Interesting that they were all so close. I've never run tests of all my gadgets side-by-side. I'm going to run it again to compare to Friday evening (assumed heaviest load on neighborhood pipe).

I'm also a bit surprised that the OP's tablet was significantly slower than their PC. I had expected the net to be the overwhelming bottleneck, not the mobile device, WiFi or Router, (presuming you have a relatively current router).

In a related topic, there's a good story from Ars Technia about how Internet Providers are showing no interest in providing faster bandwidth, even though the economics for faster technology is here.
Why Comcast and other cable ISPs aren

Old 12-05-2013, 11:11 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post

I'm also a bit surprised that the OP's tablet was significantly slower than their PC. I had expected the net to be the overwhelming bottleneck, not the mobile device, WiFi or Router, (presuming you have a relatively current router).
Since the OP's PC is on a hard wire, and the tablet is on wireless, I'm not surprised at all. As long as the test server is faster than the wireless connection is, the wired devices will always be faster (assuming non ancient hardware).

This also assumes that the OP used the same server on both devices, and that they ran multiple tests on each to get an average, since these servers can provide very different results if they are under heavy load.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Since the OP's PC is on a hard wire, and the tablet is on wireless, I'm not surprised at all. As long as the test server is faster than the wireless connection is, the wired devices will always be faster (assuming non ancient hardware).

This also assumes that the OP used the same server on both devices, and that they ran multiple tests on each to get an average, since these servers can provide very different results if they are under heavy load.
My router is a Belkin Pre-N. This model: Amazon.com: Belkin F5D8230-4 Wireless 802.11x Pre-N Router: Electronics

It's a pretty old model (7+ years).

I currently use ethernet cables to connect my computers and TV/Blu-Ray/etc. to it, so they reach the max internet speeds.

Just not sure why the tablet only gets to 11.5Mbps? Even 802.11g has ability to transmit up to 54Mbps.

I will need to re-test at different times during the day and with different servers to see what happens.

May also be time to upgrade the router.

Last edited by RD5050; 12-05-2013 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-05-2013, 02:09 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
has ability to transmit up to 54Mbps.
This is purely theoretical, and usually only achievable in a lab setting.

There are a lot of things that can degrade the signal between your router and the device(number of connected devices, channel, number of nearby routers on the same channel (or overlapping on sub channels), other devices broadcasting in similar frequencies, walls, floors, other obstructions, etc).

Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
This is purely theoretical, and usually only achievable in a lab setting.

There are a lot of things that can degrade the signal between your router and the device(number of connected devices, channel, number of nearby routers on the same channel (or overlapping on sub channels), other devices broadcasting in similar frequencies, walls, floors, other obstructions, etc).
Thanks, great info.

I'll try changing the channel on the router and see what happens.

The channel I'm on now is being used by lots of other neighborhood routers according to my WiFi scan, so that may be the issue.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:42 PM

I tried several other channels, and re-tested the speed on each one.

I saw a slight gain (from 11.5Mbps to 11.75Mbps) in the download speeds on some of the channels, but nothing significant.

I just may just need a newer 802.11n router to take advantage of new wifi technology that the tablet has built in.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,761 times
What is a good download, upload sleep and ping for a nexus 7 tablet with charter and belkin router. Please help from Mass

Old 04-11-2014, 01:38 AM

1,824 posts, read 4,639,102 times
I have a laptop that downloads 30Mbps faster, can't complain though. Router is an Asus RT-AC66U.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets