U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times

Advertisements

Android is the best for Voice typing currently. Apple a very close #2.
Microsoft is a distant 3rd.
For people that must have keyboards, I always recommend the Asus line. Much better then any iPad with a Bluetooth connected keyboard.

Here's a windows tablet WITH a keyboard retailing for $350. And here's a very honest review of it.
ASUS Transformer Book T100 review: a Windows tablet with netbook roots

The last line of the review sums it up best:
You'll be making some compromises if buy this, but for $349, we doubt you'll have many regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Android is the best for Voice typing currently. Apple a very close #2.
Microsoft is a distant 3rd.
For people that must have keyboards, I always recommend the Asus line. Much better then any iPad with a Bluetooth connected keyboard.

Here's a windows tablet WITH a keyboard retailing for $350. And here's a very honest review of it.
ASUS Transformer Book T100 review: a Windows tablet with netbook roots

The last line of the review sums it up best:
You'll be making some compromises if buy this, but for $349, we doubt you'll have many regrets.
Several people at work are using iPads and a keyboard that's also a protective case for the iPad. Something like this one:
PROfolio+ - Backlit iPad Keyboard Case | ZAGG

Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 AM

Ohhh, I like the Blue backlights. That's hot!

Yea, and those are very nice. My employees that have iPads have very similar ones.
But, other then that swanky backlight, the Asus docks are better. The iPad ones don't physically attach so they can be clunky to close, and not as sturdy as the Asus ones. This cannot be understated. When docked it works exactly like a laptop. And for $350? I've been wanting a MS tablet just to try it at work and for $350??? Asus might be getting my money.

That keyboard alone is $130. Yikes!

And, of course, with those Bluetooth keyboard they have to be charged separately. With the Asus you just plug it in with one cable and it charges both dock and tablet.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:15 PM

730 posts, read 1,051,663 times
For someone who would be using an iPad mini only for general web surfing and checking email (no streaming video or online game playing), and taking the occasional photograph with it, would the iPad mini with retina display really be worth an extra $100? Budget is a big consideration at the moment.

I read something recently to the effect that Apple is discontinuing the original iPad mini; is that true, and if so do you expect that the price of them might come down below the current $299?

Old 04-11-2014, 03:22 PM

Even the oldest iPad would do what you need it to and more. No the Retina display would not be worth the extra $100.
Usually when Apple replaces one device the previous generation device does cut a price cut.
I haven't heard anything about it being replaced.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:57 PM

730 posts, read 1,051,663 times
Thanks Peregrine. :-) I'm assuming that the "old" (meaning non-retina) iPad2 mini is the least expensive new tablet that Apple makes, at $299.

A silly question: Someone told me that the layers of security/privacy software that I've always used on my Windows machines (firewall, antivirus, tracking blockers, script blockers, you name it, and no I don't use IE either, lol) aren't necessary for an iPad because the OS is inherently "virus proof and hack-proof". True? false? Sounds impossible in this day and age, lol

Old 04-12-2014, 12:01 PM

13,317 posts, read 20,368,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Thanks Peregrine. :-) I'm assuming that the "old" (meaning non-retina) iPad2 mini is the least expensive new tablet that Apple makes, at $299.

A silly question: Someone told me that the layers of security/privacy software that I've always used on my Windows machines (firewall, antivirus, tracking blockers, script blockers, you name it, and no I don't use IE either, lol) aren't necessary for an iPad because the OS is inherently "virus proof and hack-proof". True? false? Sounds impossible in this day and age, lol
I would say resistant instead of proof. However, I've never had any such issues on my Mac, or on the ipad.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:36 PM

Agree with DK. This is one advantage of Windows & Apple over Android.
Microsoft and Apple have to look at and approve any app released in their stores.
Google, not so much.

Ge your tablet already. And don't look back (meaning if they release the new version in October don't be all bummed... you will still loves yours).

BTW I did buy the $400 version of that Windows tablet i mentioned above. It is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or