Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:04 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,199,906 times

Advertisements

I just ordered a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch 32 GB. Since I don't kow too much about them and what they can do, can any of you give me ideas as to what you use yours for (I want to make sure I use it to the fullest!)?

I have Amazon Prime so I know I get a free book to borrow per month, and I know about Bookbub but other than that I don't really know too much.

All suggestions of what I can do with it will be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,644,884 times
If you have prime, you also have access to prime TV and movies. Lots of free stuff in there, as well as rentals.

Check out the app store for thousands of apps.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
If you have prime, you also have access to prime TV and movies. Lots of free stuff in there, as well as rentals.

Check out the app store for thousands of apps.
thanks,I have been noticing the ads for TV and movies, is a lot of that stuff free?

Where is the app store (or will I see it on the Kindle when it arives)? I have an ancient Kindle that I do use but not consistently.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:18 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,644,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
thanks,I have been noticing the ads for TV and movies, is a lot of that stuff free?

Where is the app store (or will I see it on the Kindle when it arives)? I have an ancient Kindle that I do use but not consistently.
Both will be available from the tablet, but you can also access them from the Amazon web site, and Prime Video is available on your PC or devices like Roku.

On the Amazon home page:

The app store for the tablet is on the left hand menu, right under the Kindle Fire link; Appstore for Android.
Amazon.com: Apps for Android
The Appstore can also be installed on Android devices, and has a free app every day.

The Prime Video list is at the top right under the Your Prime menu.
Amazon.com: Instant Video Finder

Old 12-24-2013, 06:55 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,233,216 times
Check the Kindle section on Amazon and search for Kindle HD guides. You get an instruction manual with the Kindle (which will either be loaded on your Kindle or that you can download), but several additional guides have been written that go beyond the basics. They are mostly very reasonably priced. The customer reviews should help you pick out the one you want.

Good luck, and enjoy your new Kindle!

Old 12-25-2013, 11:46 AM

7,226 posts, read 7,021,379 times
You can also check email, do facebook, play games, lots of stuff like that.

I love mine.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:34 PM

Ok, thanks for all your input, my kindle arrived yesterday (it's the HD 8.9", 32 GB) and I'm now questioning if I got the best one for me. It seems heavy and I see that the HDX 8.9 is 13 oz versus mine at 20 oz...or I might like the 7" better but imagine in might not be as good for email, reading PDFs and work stuff when I travel.

Also with the HDX does anyone know if you have to pay monthly to Verizon - I didn't understand that.

I'm just trying to make sure I got the right one - I don't mind paying more for the right one if it will make more sense.

Do any of you watch movies on the 7" one?

Any other tips to help me decide?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays everyone!

Last edited by adventuregurl; 12-27-2013 at 09:45 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 10:35 AM

16,499 posts, read 19,562,552 times
Re: VZW Of course you don't have to sign up for a data plan. It's optional.
Personally 7's are too small. It's a difference of 7 oz's... I think you'll be just fine.

Stop doubting and start enjoying.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:16 PM

I tried reading with it in bed and it felt too heavy for me (I have some arthritis in my hands) so I am back to reading on my old kindle - I suppose I could have two and sinc them up. I just thought maybe the 7" is better.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:39 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,703,705 times
I have the 7" HDX and for me it is the perfect size for what i use it for. I have the Wifi only version. the 7" is easy to handle and not to heavy. The display is amazing for watching HD movies. I was blown away buy the quailty on the HD Movies. It comes in handy on the go. But want to get a roku box at somepoint so I can watch my Amazon Video Downloads on the TV. I prefer to read books on a 7" Tablet then anything bigger. Plus it fits in my coat packet. Amazon Kindle Fire is designed to conume Amazon content, I am a big user of Amazon services so I prefere the Kindle fire to other tablets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets