U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:04 AM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
The ipad and android tablets are toys and will remain toys. My company has invested much effort, resources, and time to try to make either one of these work in the business environment. In the end, they just end up being very expensive email machines.

The biggest problem with either of these types of tablets is while there are "productivity" apps out there for people to use, when they want to transfer the work over to their laptops or desktops to sit down and do more work they can't. iOS makes you jump through fiery hoops to transfer any data anywhere, and android crashes at random when you try to do any type of data transfer.

Right now, we are doing field tests with windows 8 tablets. I'm responsible for the LOB app that will allow our engineers to do work (calculations, communications, construction plan revisions, reports, etc.) right out in the field with their microsoft surfaces. The wonderful thing about the LOB app I've been working on is once the engineers come back to their offices they can simply put down their tablets and continue working on their desktops and laptops from right where they left off on their tablets. How is this possible? There are 2 versions of my app: the metro and the desktop. The metro will run on the tablets and the desktop version will run on any windows machine from xp to 8/8.1. The two versions sync data with each other in real time.

If I'm holding my tablet with the LOB app open and someone else is working on my laptop logged into my company account, I can literally see everything that person does on the desktop version of my app.

Again, these aren't simple spreadsheets and such. The work that my app does are very powerful engineering calculations and such.

If people continue to insist on hating windows 8, then by all means continue to use toys (iOS and android) for your work. My company is done with both of those.
Hmmm...strange attitude you have. Is your company not customer oriented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 03:03 PM

14,383 posts, read 21,053,836 times
Default Lots of iPads used for work

iOS Devices Account for 73% of Total Enterprise Mobile Device Activations

iClarified - Apple News - iOS Devices Account for 73% of Total Enterprise Mobile Device Activations [Charts]

http://media.www1.good.com/documents...index-q413.pdf

Old 02-16-2014, 07:11 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,343,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Hmmm...strange attitude you have. Is your company not customer oriented?
We're an engineering firm. Meaning our devices needed to be work oriented, not expensive email machines.

Again, with our LOB app, our engineers can work with their tablets out in the field doing calculations, generating reports, etc. And when they get back to the office, they can put the tablet down and continue working on the desktop. How? The metro app and the desktop app (compatible with everything xp and above) sync with each other in real time. I'm not talking about simple spreadsheet or word document here.

Again, our people have spent much effort, time, and resources trying to make iOS and android to work. It's incredible how apple and google have made these 2 systems to be so anti-productive. Take the ipad, for example. We got 3 engineers out in the field, and they have to share data. But there ain't no usb or any means for people with ipads to share data with each other. When you bring this up with i-fanboys, you get a lecture on this supposed paradigm shift away from stick drives. Listen, I don't care if there's a paradigm shift toward gold plated super-expensive i-devices. Our field engineers ain't got no time to go back to the office and use the network to transfer data or sync via itunes. This is not to mention we got very old engineers that are already too used to transferring data via usb. What, you want us to train them to try to sync their data with itunes and all that crap?

Regardless, again try to think of the implications. Our engineers can do very complex calculations and generate reports out in the field on their tablets. When they get back to the office, all they have to do is put down the tablet and continue working right where they left off on the desktop version of the app. How? The desktop version and the metro version of the same account sync data with each other in real time. Try doing something like that on iOS or android. What's even more important is our engineers can continue working in the office on their desktops. And if they need to go out in the field, they can simply get up and leave and once they're out there they can continue to work where they left off on their tablets. No need for the stupid itunes.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I don't dispute that iOS devices are very popular among corporations. Most of them turn into very expensive email devices.

If you want to make the argument that more people using something = that something is necessarily better, then we should all go out and eat poop. A trillion flies can't be wrong.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
What, you want us to train them to try to sync their data with itunes and all that crap?
No one suggested using iTunes for any of that.

https://www.dropbox.com/business

This is what we use in addition to using some apps on the iPad and Android devices that have access directly to the file servers on our network.
It took me some time to get it all to work properly. Easier on Android then on iPad, but get it working (and well) I did.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No one suggested using iTunes for any of that.

https://www.dropbox.com/business

This is what we use in addition to using some apps on the iPad and Android devices that have access directly to the file servers on our network.
It took me some time to get it all to work properly. Easier on Android then on iPad, but get it working (and well) I did.
Again, why not simply give the user the option to transfer data via usb? Our engineers sometimes need to be out there to make sure our construction projects work according to specs. If apple really wanted people to be able to work with their ipads on-the-go, then don't limit data transfer to network oriented. Give us the option to quickly transfer files via usb.

Regardless, much to the disappointment of the people in our corporate office, the ipads that they got us are next to useless. They've turned into very expensive email devices. On the other hand, the windows tablets that we got are showing a lot of promise. Field testers are happy with them. The biggest plus from our people so far is the fact that they can transfer files back and forth on-the-go without the need to connect to a network. Regarding our LOB app that is designed to work alongside with the desktop version that works on everything from xp and newer, our people are proving that work are being done a lot more efficiently when they don't have to deal with the iOS BS regarding file transfer.

Back when our corporate heads were convinced that the ipad was the answer to everything, it was frustrating as hell for us engineers to tell them the ipad was useless in real life. Sure, they make fancy email machines, but they're not much good for anything else.

Every office I've visited where people were given an ipad from their company only use them for emails. Every person I've asked about their ipad don't really have an answer to how their ipad has made their work more efficient. But it's cool to have an ipad! You could, like, show people the apple logo.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:41 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Regarding our LOB app that is designed to work alongside with the desktop version that works on everything from xp and newer, our people are proving that work are being done a lot more efficiently when they don't have to deal with the iOS BS regarding file transfer.
This part sounds like an app problem. There's no reason that a LOB app that runs on any mobile platform should require the end user to manually transfer files. It's too easy to just make it work.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
This part sounds like an app problem. There's no reason that a LOB app that runs on any mobile platform should require the end user to manually transfer files. It's too easy to just make it work.
I'm talking about when the file is a pdf, doc, excel, etc. Yes, when we're inspecting a construction project, with ipads we can't even share with each other a damn pdf file. But boy, can we play angry birds with the ipad. It's got a retina display, did you know that? We can brag to the construction workers that we can play angry birds on an ultra clear screen. And there's even an apple logo on the device!

Regarding our LOB, unless iOS or android makes its way to the desktop, most of businesses will continue to use windows.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:37 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
We're an engineering firm. Meaning our devices needed to be work oriented, not expensive email machines.

Again, with our LOB app, our engineers can work with their tablets out in the field doing calculations, generating reports, etc. And when they get back to the office, they can put the tablet down and continue working on the desktop. How? The metro app and the desktop app (compatible with everything xp and above) sync with each other in real time. I'm not talking about simple spreadsheet or word document here.

Again, our people have spent much effort, time, and resources trying to make iOS and android to work. It's incredible how apple and google have made these 2 systems to be so anti-productive. Take the ipad, for example. We got 3 engineers out in the field, and they have to share data. But there ain't no usb or any means for people with ipads to share data with each other. When you bring this up with i-fanboys, you get a lecture on this supposed paradigm shift away from stick drives. Listen, I don't care if there's a paradigm shift toward gold plated super-expensive i-devices. Our field engineers ain't got no time to go back to the office and use the network to transfer data or sync via itunes. This is not to mention we got very old engineers that are already too used to transferring data via usb. What, you want us to train them to try to sync their data with itunes and all that crap?

Regardless, again try to think of the implications. Our engineers can do very complex calculations and generate reports out in the field on their tablets. When they get back to the office, all they have to do is put down the tablet and continue working right where they left off on the desktop version of the app. How? The desktop version and the metro version of the same account sync data with each other in real time. Try doing something like that on iOS or android. What's even more important is our engineers can continue working in the office on their desktops. And if they need to go out in the field, they can simply get up and leave and once they're out there they can continue to work where they left off on their tablets. No need for the stupid itunes.
I see. It's not your company not being customer oriented, but you? iPads are being used in the aircraft flying, building, and maintenance business. Other tablets as well are being used, none as "expensive email machines." Do you really think that a pilot is using his company-provided iPad so he or she can spend time on Facebook when flying? How about the ones used with the Smart Gun? Do you think this iPad is being used to shoot an email out a gun's barrel? "Your engineers" aren't doing anything with the tablets they use that's superior to other engineers using the iPad to do other things.

And what I have said is not in defense of the iPad, just reality. Search the market news on the top-selling tablets, and which ones are being used in the US industry. And yes, I have no doubts that other tablets will catch-up with the iPad.

This is only the tip of the iceberg, and old news:
http://www.informationweek.com/mobil...d/d-id/1106524

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-17-2014 at 10:45 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I see. It's not your company not being customer oriented, but you? iPads are being used in the aircraft flying, building, and maintenance business. Other tablets as well are being used, none as "expensive email machines." Do you really think that a pilot is using his company-provided iPad so he or she can spend time on Facebook when flying? How about the ones used with the Smart Gun? Do you think this iPad is being used to shoot an email out the guns barrel?

"Your engineers" aren't doing anything with whatever tablets they use that's superior to other engineers using the iPad to do other things.
Well, you managed to dodge a couple of important points I brought up several times already. But oh well, time to go back to playing angry birds on the retina display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or