U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 04:36 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,357,714 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Have been reading through the threads. Just wondering how many folks actually use their iPads primarily for work and/or business and not just for personal fun stuff, social media, gaming and the like. I am strongly considering the iPad Air and don't anticipate having to do much extensive typing at this point. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 10:49 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,312,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi there. Have been reading through the threads. Just wondering how many folks actually use their iPads primarily for work and/or business and not just for personal fun stuff, social media, gaming and the like. I am strongly considering the iPad Air and don't anticipate having to do much extensive typing at this point. Thanks!!
All depends on the work you do. For example, at the place I work at we take care of HVAC, electrical, construction/maintenance of buildings, plumbing, alarm systems, and so on. All of us were issued iPads to use at work. We often have teleconferences showing the work being done, or just getting advice from another technician, etc. If I see a problem with some of the equipment, for example, I can take a photo (or video) of the problem, and sent it across to another location or shop via Wi-Fi, or an email.

Sending messages and emails are the norm in my line of work.
----------
A realtor can store the photos of property he or she wants to sale, and show it to customers, and so on. iPads are being used at restaurants in place of menus, several airlines companies provide the pilots with iPads to aid with flying and so forth (cheaper than expensive laptops, I guess). Then some private aircraft pilots are using them to read highly detailed maps in place of maps on paper. At least one small company provides an iPad with shooting apps, and a rifle (costs around $25,000 for the package) to aid with long range shooting (search, "smart rifle").

Hotels are using the iPad so their customers can adjust the AC, lighting, look at menus and choose/order foods; Virgin Airlines has some flights with iPads at each seat (first class). Their fliers can communicate with each other if they like, order foods or drinks across the aircraft (for themselves or other fliers), and so forth.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:09 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
I use my iPad only for work. I never use it for anything personal.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:37 AM

13,317 posts, read 20,365,611 times
I'm 50/50. I use it for both work and play.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:39 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,056,225 times
It depends on your work and how mobile you are. It’s great for note taking and reference materials. It sucks for spreadsheets, etc. I have both an iPad and a MacBook Pro. Since I got my iPad, my laptop has become more of a desktop. I leave my laptop at home connected to a display most of the time. I only take it with me if I need a specific program that is not available on my iPad.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:40 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,357,714 times
Thanks so much guys!! Helpful .

Old 02-12-2014, 07:22 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,342,971 times
The ipad and android tablets are toys and will remain toys. My company has invested much effort, resources, and time to try to make either one of these work in the business environment. In the end, they just end up being very expensive email machines.

The biggest problem with either of these types of tablets is while there are "productivity" apps out there for people to use, when they want to transfer the work over to their laptops or desktops to sit down and do more work they can't. iOS makes you jump through fiery hoops to transfer any data anywhere, and android crashes at random when you try to do any type of data transfer.

Right now, we are doing field tests with windows 8 tablets. I'm responsible for the LOB app that will allow our engineers to do work (calculations, communications, construction plan revisions, reports, etc.) right out in the field with their microsoft surfaces. The wonderful thing about the LOB app I've been working on is once the engineers come back to their offices they can simply put down their tablets and continue working on their desktops and laptops from right where they left off on their tablets. How is this possible? There are 2 versions of my app: the metro and the desktop. The metro will run on the tablets and the desktop version will run on any windows machine from xp to 8/8.1. The two versions sync data with each other in real time.

If I'm holding my tablet with the LOB app open and someone else is working on my laptop logged into my company account, I can literally see everything that person does on the desktop version of my app.

Again, these aren't simple spreadsheets and such. The work that my app does are very powerful engineering calculations and such.

If people continue to insist on hating windows 8, then by all means continue to use toys (iOS and android) for your work. My company is done with both of those.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 AM

5,850 posts, read 11,182,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
...The ipad and android tablets are toys and will remain toys...
Dinosaur mentality. Usually spoken by Windows-based IT people trying to protect their jobs.

People use to call macs "toys" back in the early 1990s. Yet I was pretty productive on it.
Now I use my ipad for client meetings, presentations, development illustrations and so on.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 AM

13,317 posts, read 20,365,611 times
Another poster who doesn't know how they work calling them toys.

I would hire new IT people if they can't figure it out.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:27 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
While I agree it is easier to use a Surface tablet, I have zero issues sharing work documents between my Android and iOS tablets. Easily and smoothly. Android does not "crash" when passing data.

Windows Tablets are just too damn expense, too. The top of the line one is $1800 and the only reason is because of the 512gb hard drive... otherwise it's the same as the $800 one. I get that those drives aren't cheap (SSD) but that's not the way to drive adoption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or