U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:32 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Window cleaner has chemicals that will destroy the oleophobic coating.
2. Paper towel is abrasive. Glass Cleaning » DetailingSpot
I was trained on this many years ago. Alcohol can take off coatings on glass. Ammonia can cloud plastic screens. Paper towels are definitely abrasive, which is why they're not to be used on window tint, for instance, among other things.

Soft cloth, and a screen cleaning solution that has no soap, which can be had for a couple bucks. For any screen, soap should never be needed or used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 02:47 PM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I wasn't trained but have been doing it for years. My TV looks brand new as do my laptop and phone.
Seriously if a paper towel can scratch glass, you are buying the wrong towels....

Of course you could always use just plain water. But never directly on the device, always on the soft cloth or... paper towel. That's the most important part...

I'll continue using my Windex, but for those of you leery of that advice, just get these.
http://www.staples.com/Staples-Scree...product_775489

Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
I just put a plastic film screen-protector designed for this purpose. This way I can use any screen cleaning fluid I want. I just spray the cleaner on a soft cloth, and wipe the screen with it.

I have screen protectors over my work iPad, and iPod touch, and my camera's screen. The iPod is very old (second generation), but the screen looks lie new. No a single scratch on the plastic film.

The screen protector for my work iPad came with the Otter Box (case) for it. The screen is part of the case, so when you install the case over the iPad, the screen protector side covers the screen. For my wife's iPad I just bought a removable screen protector that adheres to the screen, and is a pain to align properly before pressing it on the screen. You must have a steady hand to do this, otherwise the screen protector will go on crooked (you have to keep on pulling it off until properly aligned).

Anyway, a film screen protector is the way to go, regardless.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:21 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Amazon.com: Zeiss Pre-Moistened Lens Cloths Wipes 400 Ct: Health & Personal Care

It's intended for use on high end optical lenses.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:30 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,354,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
I know the directions for cleaning the Ipad screen is : use a damp cloth. But I can still see my fingerprint marks on the screen. I know you are NOT Suppose to use Windex or anything like that but is there something else I could try?
Why don't you just put invisible shield on it and not worry about smudges or scratches?

Old 04-05-2014, 02:27 PM

19,116 posts, read 19,973,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Why don't you just put invisible shield on it and not worry about smudges or scratches?
I have found these to be a PITA. I use the same thing you use to clean my glasses and other optical items. No problems found here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or