U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 12:05 PM

18,536 posts, read 55,453,855 times

Advertisements

Call me slow. The increasingly insane amount of scripts and includes made me dismiss using my tablet to view news outside of sites like the old "MyWay.com" that avoids using them. Then I decided to try using a proxy server. BOOM! 90% of sites allow me to actually see and read the article. Some still don't, like Time.com, but instead of a major hangup in their sticky strands of script, it just doesn't load and I move on. Those sites with redirect on redirect just get tromped. Love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 01:58 PM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Did you look into using a FEED READER or an APP like FlipBoard?

Old 05-16-2014, 02:43 PM

5,319 posts, read 7,963,864 times
I like the AP News app on my Apple iTouch.

It's really easy to navigate using just one hand.

Google Newstand App is what I use on my Nexus 7 tablet.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:51 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,645,255 times
For Flipboard or Newsstand. Do you have to pay a subscription to the paper you want to read? I have an LA times subscription for LA news, but I don't want to pay for an out of town newspaper that I barely read unless they have an interesting article.

Last edited by timtemtym; 05-18-2014 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: poor spelling :(

Old 05-18-2014, 12:16 PM

6,502 posts, read 6,255,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Call me slow. The increasingly insane amount of scripts and includes made me dismiss using my tablet to view news outside of sites like the old "MyWay.com" that avoids using them. Then I decided to try using a proxy server. BOOM! 90% of sites allow me to actually see and read the article. Some still don't, like Time.com, but instead of a major hangup in their sticky strands of script, it just doesn't load and I move on. Those sites with redirect on redirect just get tromped. Love it.
Google Newsstand will do the trick. There is also a News and Weather app that people love because the system requirements are quite low. Google Currents, if you can still find it, works great as well.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
For Flipboard or Newsstand. Do you have to pay a subscription to the paper you want to read? I have an LA times subscription for LA news, but I don't want to pay for an out of town newspaper that I barely read unless they have an interesting article.
Depends on which publication you're trying to subscribe to.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:15 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,645,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Depends on which publication you're trying to subscribe to.
Oh ok thanks! I like a ton of different sources so this might be a good app for me. Some of the newspapers I like have paywalls and understandably so. It's a somewhat dying industry if they don't make people pay for it. I'd like ONE app that allowed me to pay a few cents every time I accessed one of these paywall articles. I don't mind paying. I just don't want a monthly subscription when I might just want a few articles here and there.

I think if someone makes an app like that and gets enough news outlets to sign on, they might have a million dollar idea.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Oh ok thanks! I like a ton of different sources so this might be a good app for me. Some of the newspapers I like have paywalls and understandably so. It's a somewhat dying industry if they don't make people pay for it. I'd like ONE app that allowed me to pay a few cents every time I accessed one of these paywall articles. I don't mind paying. I just don't want a monthly subscription when I might just want a few articles here and there.

I think if someone makes an app like that and gets enough news outlets to sign on, they might have a million dollar idea.
New York Times you get to read 15 articles before subscribing, which is actually more than if you were to visit the New York Times website (unless their policies have changed), which is only 5 reads.

You won't see that type of app anytime soon. The publishing industry already has an on/off, tenuous relationship with Google Books and the Apple Store and there have been a lot of lawsuits going around over the whole e publication thing. What you're suggesting would circumvent the rules in place.

It does not cost a fortune to subscribe to newspapers electronically, for delivery via their own app or an app like Play Newstand, or directly at the website. I've seen some newspapers as cheap as 99 cents per month. No need to hack newspapers, like one would say Netflix, Hulu or Spotify. It is an all you can eat model; much cheaper for them to give it to you for an entire month than for you to pay a few articles a la carte. A developer would need to host their own app on their own website, or go through some of the backdoor app stores, like 1 Market, to get the word out to people. It would never fly on the Apple Store, Google Play, or Amazon App store. I do realize that the Times charges per week, but on the other hand, the price is cheaper than getting the print edition delivered to your home. But the Times is the biggest newspaper in the country, so they can get away with it.

What is more likely, is that Google develop some type of agreement with some of these newspapers and bundle them in a flat rate for subscribers. Say, for $4.99 a month you get access to 15 different newspapers a month, which would include New York Times, Washington Post, LA Times, etc.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:01 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,660,511 times
Quote:
I like Flipboard a lot too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets