U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:59 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,342,971 times

Advertisements

I recently took a break from my main personal project and started a touch-oriented word processor app. Trying to get as close to MS word as possible while giving the user a touch friendly interface. Also aiming to make it PC friendly as well.

Here are a few screenshots. You think the UI got a good balance between touch and traditional PC? If not, any suggestion on how I can improve it?

PS - I added the spell checker over the weekend after the first reviewer of my app criticized it for not having a spell check. And he was right. What's a word processor without a spell checker?
Attached Thumbnails
You think this is a good UI for touch oriented?-1.png   You think this is a good UI for touch oriented?-2.png   You think this is a good UI for touch oriented?-3.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 12:17 PM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Looks decent.
2 things.

Can you change the color? Don't like that.
Can you hide that side menu when you aren't using it?

Old 06-24-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Looks decent.
2 things.

What color you think will be better?

I can definitely hide it. I'm just scared that a lot of people think if they don't see it then it doesn't exist. I used to work as tech support.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:18 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
I still work as Tech Support and know how to think like a user. When I am in full on typing mode, I want my document full screen. That needs to be hideable.

Maybe a dark blue. definitely darker.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I still work as Tech Support and know how to think like a user. When I am in full on typing mode, I want my document full screen. That needs to be hideable.

Maybe a dark blue. definitely darker.
Ok. Will change those things in next update.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Looks decent.
2 things.

I changed the UI background color, made the menus collapsible for full screen, and made the spell checker window movable. Other suggestions? Features. Anything that will help me make this app better.

Attached Thumbnails
You think this is a good UI for touch oriented?-3.png   You think this is a good UI for touch oriented?-4.png  

Old 06-29-2014, 01:28 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,312,088 times
I think that a white background would be a lot better to the eye than colors. Not all people react to color the same way. Very light grays, or blues are the most pleasant to the eye.

But color backgrounds could be optional to the user. He or she can modify the menus to have colored backgrounds, etc if that's what they want.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I think that a white background would be a lot better to the eye than colors. Not all people react to color the same way. Very light grays, or blues are the most pleasant to the eye.

But color backgrounds could be optional to the user. He or she can modify the menus to have colored backgrounds, etc if that's what they want.
Thank you for the suggestion. Next update will give the user options for themes.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:12 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,312,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. Next update will give the user options for themes.
By the way, I would suggest that you look at the menus used on both the Macintosh and PC, not just one computer platform. Since you are working on apps for the PC, look into some of the Apple apps for the iPad, and also for the apps for MS and Android tablets, too. You will notice that most menu options have very light gray backgrounds and dark icons, and on all platforms are not clustered with color.

Something else: bright colors such as red and shades of red aren't the best. Choose colors that are relaxing and have calming effects on the mind (pastels). Now, for a restaurant choose shades of red colors. These make people exited and hungry (should also work well for a boxing ring)
http://www.2knowmyself.com/miscellan...lor_psychology

Last edited by RayinAK; 06-29-2014 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
By the way, I would suggest that you look at the menus used on both the Macintosh and PC, not just one computer platform. Since you are working on apps for the PC, look into some of the Apple apps for the iPad, and also for the apps for MS and Android tablets, too. You will notice that most menu options have very light gray backgrounds and dark icons, and on all platforms are not clustered with color.

Something else: bright colors such as red and shades of red aren't the best. Choose colors that are relaxing and have calming effects on the mind (pastels). Now, for a restaurant choose shades of red colors. These make people exited and hungry (should also work well for a boxing ring)
Restaurant color psychology | 2KnowMySelf
How about like this?

Added by edit.

I'm liking the new more subtle colors.

Attached Thumbnails
You think this is a good UI for touch oriented?-1.png   You think this is a good UI for touch oriented?-2.png   You think this is a good UI for touch oriented?-3.png  

Last edited by rosie_hair; 06-29-2014 at 11:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or