U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:39 PM

8,469 posts, read 4,499,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
So, is this summation accurate:

Kindle Paperwhite:
battery might last longer, possibly for weeks.
black & white everything.
excellent visibility indoors and out.
no book covers included.
No extra internet access needed (except when downloading books?, or at least no extra internet access beside my own desktop computer).

Kindle Fire:
battery lasts up to a day or so, possibly more, if you're just reading books.
shows book covers, and illustrations, and magazine graphics, in color.
not very good visibility outdoors, not as easy to read indoors as the Paperwhite?
Slightly heavier than the Paperwhite.
extra internet access needed if you want to play games and go to YouTube.

And do all Kindles work with Apple/Mac computers?
Yes your info is correct and yes all kindles can connect to any OS via USB port,but as long as you have Wi-Fi you should not have to connect to your computer.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?c...x3D0ZF8GFWMM0W
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 05:23 PM

1,501 posts, read 940,302 times
Thank you, emm74 and i_love_autumn.

I'm not really sure about Wi-Fi. My iMac desktop computer includes a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse; but I don't pay extra for them.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:40 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:

I'm not really sure about Wi-Fi. My iMac desktop computer includes a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse; but I don't pay extra for them.
They are referring to WIRELESS INTERNET. Do you have your computer hardwired into your internet connection?

Old 08-14-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure about the tech description of how you get Wi-Fi except that you need a modem.I had DSL through my phone company until my son moved in with me,and I got cable.When I ordered it they asked if I needed Wi-Fi and I said yes,for my Kindle. So you can call your internet provider and ask them if you have Wi-Fi.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:32 PM

21,796 posts, read 12,468,457 times
For WiFi, you need a router that goes between the signal you get from your internet provider and your computer. It will pass that signal through to your computer but it also has an antenna that projects the Wifi signal to your wireless devices. Most of the time, it would be included in your internet service although you may have to rent or buy the router. They aren't very expensive these days, though. If you use data on a cell phone, it's nice to have Wifi at home because you can switch to that whenever you are home and not use up any of your data limit.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:02 PM

1,501 posts, read 940,302 times
I've checked with my service provider; I do not have WiFi. However, when I asked the person on the phone whether, if they came and installed WiFi, if I could then use a Kindle, he kept saying something about if I got my own equipment, my telephone might stop working. I became annoyed and ended the phone call. I hope to call them back and speak to someone who either knows what a Kindle is or can explain the situation better to me; especially since I wasn't planning to get my own WiFi equipment.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:40 AM

Is your phone included in a bundle with your internet? I have a bundle- cable tv,phone,and internet,and have no problem with my phone working,so yep,I would just try talking to another tech person who knows what an e-reader is.
Hope you get it all worked out soon,and are able to enjoy kindling.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:53 AM

You don't need them to install your WiFi. They certainly will not always know if you have it or not.

Tell your son you want WiFi. I'm sure he knows what to do.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You don't need them to install your WiFi. They certainly will not always know if you have it or not.

Tell your son you want WiFi. I'm sure he knows what to do.

If you meant this reply for me,I got everything installed at the same time,so I do have a Wi-Fi modem.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 AM

@ Regina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or