U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:35 AM

8,469 posts, read 4,499,064 times

Advertisements

Mine is supposed to be delivered today.Which game apps have you found to run smoothly for this version of Fire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 01:10 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,678,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Mine is supposed to be delivered today.Which game apps have you found to run smoothly for this version of Fire?
My wife has one, and you probably won't find anything that doesn't run smoothly. She hasn't found anything yet that has issues.

It's a nice piece of hardware (other than the Amazon lock in).

Old 07-29-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
My wife has one, and you probably won't find anything that doesn't run smoothly. She hasn't found anything yet that has issues.

It's a nice piece of hardware (other than the Amazon lock in).
That is wonderful to hear,thank you!

Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 PM

199 posts, read 225,281 times
My daughter received one as a gift and it runs everything she has tried without any issues. The only problem is the above mentioned Amazon Lock. Other than that it's been good to her.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeekUniverse View Post
My daughter received one as a gift and it runs everything she has tried without any issues. The only problem is the above mentioned Amazon Lock. Other than that it's been good to her.

Another good report,thank you! Now I'm told my Kindle is in transit and should get by the end of today,so I haven't been able to play with it yet. The Amazon Lock In doesn't bother me,just as it didn't for my Kindle Touch eReader,that I have been totally pleased with,so that is a non issue for me.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:56 AM

199 posts, read 225,281 times
Quote:
Another good report,thank you! Now I'm told my Kindle is in transit and should get by the end of today,so I haven't been able to play with it yet. The Amazon Lock In doesn't bother me,just as it didn't for my Kindle Touch eReader,that I have been totally pleased with,so that is a non issue for me.
You are welcome.

I know that feeling of having something ordered (especially something fun, lol.) and the wait seems like forever, even when its a couple days. I hope when it arrives you enjoy it. Have a Great Day.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:
The Amazon Lock In doesn't bother me,just as it didn't for my Kindle Touch eReader,that I have been totally pleased with,so that is a non issue for me.
The *LOCK* on E-Reader isn't even close to the same thing as it is on the Kindle.
No big deal for you still, I am sure, but just wanted to clarify that.
Being unable to download apps from anywhere other then Amazon is a big turn off for some.

We haven't heard from you since you got it. I assume that's a good sign? LOL
It does have a gorgeous screen. And that Mayday thing is a killer feature.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:05 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,214,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Being unable to download apps from anywhere other then Amazon is a big turn off for some.
You can download apps from other app stores like SlideME and GetJar. You can't download directly from Google Play, but if you have an app on your phone from Google Play, you can transfer it to your Fire and run it. Apps that depend on Google services will not run, since the Fire lacks Google services.

I think someone has figured a way to get Google services on the Fire, but I've never tried this so I don't know how well it works. Some Fires (maybe all Fires by now, I haven't really kept track) are also rootable and unlockable so you can install vanilla Android if you so choose, but this is a bit more advanced and I wouldn't recommend it to someone who didn't know what they were doing.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:31 PM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Yea, I know all that. Not sure if the HDX has been rooted yet, but if not, it will be soon.
But for the average consumer, they aren't doing all that. And that's fine. They just use it the way it came out of the box.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The *LOCK* on E-Reader isn't even close to the same thing as it is on the Kindle.
No big deal for you still, I am sure, but just wanted to clarify that.

We haven't heard from you since you got it. I assume that's a good sign? LOL
It does have a gorgeous screen. And that Mayday thing is a killer feature.
Oh yes I just got it yesterday evening and then had to charge it,as neither it, nor my smart phone would accept my Wi-Fi password until they were charged,and my cable company nor Samsung figured out the problem,but after charging overnight both were connected,lol,real smart tech help there!

So my impressions so far...the picture is absolutely stunning,and everything flows as smooth as silk.I believe I will be very happy with my Kindle Fire.It does get quite warm,is the only thing that I don't like.Otherwise I'm very pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or