U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:47 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times

Advertisements

I find myself using it more and more in place of my laptop. Now that I'm starting to understand how to do more with it, like copy/paste, it's easier and my comfort level is better. Part of that is using Dolphin for the browser. It is closest to a desktop browser than any other I've tried.

I bought a gadget that plugs into the tablet using the mini-usb port. I reads usb drives, camera chips, etc and allows me to copy file and pictures directly to the tablet. A wonderful little device.

Email is good and I connect using imap (tech speak for a way to instantly access an email account - in my case Gmail) so I don't have to "ask" the program to retrieve email - it does it automatically.

Business Calendar for all appointments and reminders. There is a calendar built into the tablet, but we had BC before and it was all set up to sync with Google Calendar. It allows us to see all appointments made by both of us. Makes not screwing up simpler.

Color Note. A wonderful program (There are many that do the same thing) that allows me to make free form notes or lists that are easily edited. My brain basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 12:53 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
I use my desktop to do things where a large screen, mouse, and keyboard is needed (like chatting on forums!)

But I am shocked at how much I have come to use my tablet. I've had it about 2 years and I now much prefer it for reading over dead-tree books. It's an android, (A Xoom with 32g chip). I had to go through about 7 different e-reading apps to find one with all the features I needed.

It's Cool Reader:
Has a Windows version with nearly identical appearance.
Handles most common formats. What it doesn't handle, I can put on my desktop, import into Calibre and convert to ePub (my format of preference). Then easily FTPed via WiFi to my tablet.

On the fly changeable:
screen brightness,
swap from night-time (regular reading) to daytime (reversed, dark font on white background, useful for outside reading),
font size
handling multiple in-progress books.

I saved about $200 by getting a tablet that was only WiFi, and not also a phone, but then upgraded my phone to a 3rd gen smartphone that has Local Hotspot. So now when I'm away from home and there's no free WiFi handy, I can still enable my phone, and then use my tablet for browsing and such.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:33 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,056,885 times
Unless I'm traveling, my iPad stays in my bed. I use it for reading, news, video and email before I go to sleep.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:32 PM

4,071 posts, read 2,582,371 times
I have a Nexus 7 (2nd Gen), and it is with me almost all of the time. I use it to read, study, or check notes during my commute (I used the app Evernote and Google Keep, a lot. I also use Fiinote, which is a wonderful note taking app once you get used to how it works). Every morning, it is the first thing I check when I get out of bed--reading the news, checking the sports scores and the weather.

I still have a desktop and a laptop, and I use both. For real heavy duty editing or writing I use one of them. To record and edit music or video, I use my desktop still. I guess I just found a way to use a tablet in my personal workflow (perhaps I should say "lifeflow"). Since I like to tinker with computers, a tablet just kind of works for me; I have rooted it, messed around with the system stuff and unrooted.

Oddly enough, the tablet has caused me to read more as I am always on the look out for something I can read on my tablet (I am going to check out Cool Reader, Ed_RDNC, thanks for the tip!).

Old 08-24-2014, 06:26 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
I have a Apple iPad, a Samsung Tab, a Toshiba Encore and a HP Chromebook. The worst one is the Toshiba Encore due to battery life. The best one is the iPad due to long battery life and flawless functionality. The Samsung Tab does have good apps but at this point it has become the remote control for my TV, Cable box and DVR. The Chromebooks great feature is to have a keyboard that actually feels like a real keyboard and the ability to use a real mouse. But it all comes down to what you are looking to do with it and not what we individually do with it. If I had to choose between the four, then it would be the iPad.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:04 AM

199 posts, read 225,321 times
Depending on the tablet you choose, you can do basically everything you do on a laptop. Do some research before you buy though as there are tons of tablets out there that lack in one area or another or are outdated and newer models with much better specs are available for not much more money. You usually get what you pay for and if its your first tablet then make sure you don't get caught buying one of the many no-name tablets out there that use cheap components, especially the screens.

You can buy within a budget but just try to get the best you can afford given what your budget is. With a good tablet there isn't much you can't do on one of them that you can do on a laptop.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 PM

25,158 posts, read 18,661,858 times
I have an third generation iPad and a first gen Surface pro.

IPad is used for light tasks like reading WSJ and magazines, iBooks, playing music, mobile gaming, and light web surfacing. The ipad chrome browser crashes a lot and chugs on heavier browsing. I use my surface for heavier tasks or anything I'd otherwise need a laptop for.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:24 PM

132 posts, read 279,170 times
I have 2 tablets. A Samsung Galaxy note 10" and a Lenovo Yoga 8". The Galaxy note pretty well stays in my bedside table. I use it for reading/listening to ebooks. I use it for library epubs, magazines, kindle and kobo books. I check email, surf the internet, check my google calendar, listen to music, watch youtube and very occasionally I will play a game.
I use my Lenovo tablet more for travel and I do much of the same things with it. I also use it for listening to ebooks and music in the car. I also read on it. I downloaded a screen filter app, which makes the screen much darker and more comfortable for reading. It is a great tablet for travel because it has incredible battery life. I never take my laptop when I travel anymore.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:20 PM

444 posts, read 381,199 times
I have the ipad mini. I like to use my tablet for reading or browsing the web. I would say I now use my ipad 50% of the time and laptop the other 50%.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,415,447 times
nothing anymore, I was getting ready for work and stuck it in my back pocket, then sat in my car.... crunch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or