U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 01:35 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,413,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
......>>>>>>SNIP<<<<< Part of that is using Dolphin for the browser. It is closest to a desktop browser than any other I've tried.....I have a Droid Smart Phone Android Maxx) & a Lap Top that both use Google Chrome for the browser (and both are running Android OS)..............I just bought a samsung Galaxy 12.2 Tab Pro, Android 4.4 KitKat, (which I haven't used yet) ..Would it be to my benefit to use "Dolphin" as my browser with the Samsung Galaxy??

I bought a gadget that plugs into the tablet using the mini-usb port. I reads usb drives, camera chips, etc and allows me to copy file and pictures directly to the tablet. A wonderful little device....Would you please tell me what the name of this "Gadget" is and how can I look it up on the internet and how can I purchase one??

Email is good and I connect using imap (tech speak for a way to instantly access an email account - in my case Gmail) so I don't have to "ask" the program to retrieve email - it does it automatically.How can I incorporate this "imap" feature into my new Samsung for my email (which will be : msn.com)
..I am approching age 83 and not at all a "techy", so please use "simple terms" in answering my questions...........Thank you for your patience.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 05:12 AM

8,469 posts, read 4,499,064 times
Originally Posted by burr
Quote:
just gotta insignia 8" (1st one) and i'm a bumbling idiot, cant make my big fat finger work, cant make stuff bigger so i can hit it, it'll get better, i s'pose. this response was a tester and training aid. dayam ...

I use the stylus pen that came with my Kindle cover. I'm sure Walmart would have them.Love it and use it for my Galaxy phone,also.

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Stylus for Touchscreen Devices Including Kindle Fire HD 8.9-Inch, Kindle Fire HD 7-Inch, Kindle Fire, Apple iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10: Computers & Accessories

Old 11-29-2014, 04:07 PM

19,116 posts, read 19,970,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I still use my mine (iPad 2) for presentations at work.
What app do you use for your presentations?

Old 11-30-2014, 06:01 PM

13,317 posts, read 20,365,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
What app do you use for your presentations?
Keynote with an Apple TV connected to out projection system. We use Airplay. It works beautifully.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:18 PM

25,158 posts, read 18,653,856 times
I keep a cheap Bluetooth keyboard I got off Amazon in my trunk and often use it for posting on CD and writing while out at parks and in places you wouldn't generally bring a PC.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:05 AM

823 posts, read 1,324,112 times
Several threads are started about new users and such so I'm just commenting instead of starting more of the same, I s'pose...

I'm not real thrilled with this Insignia 8" purchased from BB last week or so. I have given it several days for break-in and 'gettin to know' period and it is not getting too much better, as far as user-friendly type ratings.

I should note that I am 58yo, a daily desktop user since the 90s and this is my first tab; maybe I was expecting too much. Maybe I was wanting a 'mini laptop' since I have been a desktop user with a fullsize keyboard from day one but this version of Windows (8.1 and new to me: I'm Vista since '07 !!) and no mouse (especially no right click !) and swiping and pre-loaded programs and apps (disappointing to me) have really limited my input and probably a fair judgement. I cannot play with it but an hour or less as the screen is funny on my eyes and I can't seem to adjust to a better setting. and it seems to have a not so long battery life, I cant really tell as I haven't done stuff that requires more than that one hour or so I can stand. I manually shut down after my sessions and it seems like a couple days (actual 4-6 hours 'on') and its time for a charge. And thats OK while I'm sitting here at my desk but when a 8 or 10 hour charge while away from my desk is needed, I'm not too sure.

I purchased a stylus and it helps hit the little targets although not fool-proof. Unit provides some tutorial but Windows tutorials have always been a 'chasing yer tail' type help for me (it seems).

I reckon my question would be - DOES IT GET ANY BETTER ? No smartphone, just a flipper so I was hoping to get some office time outta my front seat with this thing while on a jobsite or wifi type setting.

This comment from emigrations (above) is one solution maybe

Old 12-03-2014, 03:04 PM

4,071 posts, read 2,581,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Several threads are started about new users and such so I'm just commenting instead of starting more of the same, I s'pose...

I'm not real thrilled with this Insignia 8" purchased from BB last week or so. I have given it several days for break-in and 'gettin to know' period and it is not getting too much better, as far as user-friendly type ratings.

I should note that I am 58yo, a daily desktop user since the 90s and this is my first tab; maybe I was expecting too much. Maybe I was wanting a 'mini laptop' since I have been a desktop user with a fullsize keyboard from day one but this version of Windows (8.1 and new to me: I'm Vista since '07 !!) and no mouse (especially no right click !) and swiping and pre-loaded programs and apps (disappointing to me) have really limited my input and probably a fair judgement. I cannot play with it but an hour or less as the screen is funny on my eyes and I can't seem to adjust to a better setting. and it seems to have a not so long battery life, I cant really tell as I haven't done stuff that requires more than that one hour or so I can stand. I manually shut down after my sessions and it seems like a couple days (actual 4-6 hours 'on') and its time for a charge. And thats OK while I'm sitting here at my desk but when a 8 or 10 hour charge while away from my desk is needed, I'm not too sure.

I purchased a stylus and it helps hit the little targets although not fool-proof. Unit provides some tutorial but Windows tutorials have always been a 'chasing yer tail' type help for me (it seems).

I reckon my question would be - DOES IT GET ANY BETTER ? No smartphone, just a flipper so I was hoping to get some office time outta my front seat with this thing while on a jobsite or wifi type setting.

This comment from emigrations (above) is one solution maybe
No offense, but I wouldnt buy an Insignia anything. I can only imagine what kind of hodge-podge OS it has, and it probably is some cheap version of a better tablet.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 AM

no offense taken; I actually went to BB to purchase a Lenovo that was advertised on sale for ~150 and got to talking with a youngster working there that shed a little more knowledge than I had - which was very little. You see, I have been cruising this exact site for more info on buying a tab and came up with next to nothing except deal shopping. To use what Ive read here would direct me towards a $400 or $500 investment and thats not my intent. This is a first step learning process and I have looked around. A cheap version may be another word for this...

Anyway, she mentioned that the Lenovo did not have HDMI capabilities, which was a main attraction for me - to be able to connect my tv to the net and expand my tv world. She pointed out that over half the tabs on display were not capable of this feature - it that true ? Then she asked if I wanted it for the games, no. I wanted it for an extension to my desktop life basically. So she directed me towards a Windows based instead of an Android - yes ?

So I shelled out the $99 and we'll see, I reckon. Salesgirl also mentioned that since it was the 'season', I had until mid-Jan to return - no questions asked, for a full refund (beyond the normal 14 day). I'm not one to do this normally and I don't believe the statement anyway, but that was her story.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:02 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,909,361 times
Have iPad Mini 2 16GB Cellular

I used mine mostly for reading books, internet surfing, and watching videos (Netflix, WatchESPN). I also use it at home to stream my iTunes Library to play on my home stereo system via iTunes Match.

Tablets are nice consumption devices but not much for productivity in my opinion. That's when the full laptop comes out.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:07 AM

ok, I've checked a book out at the library and read 40 pages last night - a huge achievement and one of my original intents for this little pia. I am still deciding the most comfortable size and brightness for my eyes but it's getting better with use. Seems that normal computer stuff differs from actual reading by page, yes ? These tabs are kinda heavy to hold while enjoying a book, 'specially taking care not to brush up against some tiny button on the side that changes ever thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or