U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:04 AM

102 posts, read 100,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's a good price for an 8" tablet. It does amaze me how much people think tablets should cost. That's more then you were looking to spend on a larger brand name tablet? Come on, man.
I didn't say it was a bad price, it's fine price wise. I was just speaking on my personal budget. I know what you mean though, lots of people have an unrealistic expectation when it comes to the cost of things of this nature.

Last edited by EnigmaticLoner; 10-09-2014 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 11:59 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,831,465 times
I own an iPad Mini, an Acer Icona A100 (Android) and hardly use them these days. We also have an ipad 1 and an ipad 3 that the kids use. I recently bought an Acer Iconia W3-810 on Woot for $124 shipped, expecting to play with it some and then re-sell it. I just wanted to see if a small Intel based atom tablet was useful. I have always had a liking for small machines, my everyday laptop is a 12.5" Dell Latitude E6230 with a core i5, 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM. Ok so back on topic:

The Acer W3-810 is running Windows 8.1, has a dual core atom with hyperthreadin, micro-SD slot (with 64GB Class-10 micro SD that I paid $19 for), 32G SSD (9.4GB free with some apps, office and W8), 2GB of LP DDR-3. Ports include micro-HDMI, micro USB with on the go support and front and rear cameras. It is pretty small at 8.1" with a 1280x800 screen, which is plenty of resolution on such a small machine. The real attraction is I can run everything that I run on the rest of my Intel computers. It is snappy and very functional and the battery life is amazing - >9 hours of movie watching, 90% battery life after 2 days in standby from a full charge.... For $124 it really can't be beaten and actually, I am surprised how happy I am with W8.1, it makes a lot more sense on a touch-screen tablet and the schizophrenic Aero/tile interface have different use-cases depending on what I am doing. I'm not a Windows 8 fanboi by any means but if you value function over form, check out a small, cheap W8 tablet. It might not have the svelte lines of my ipad air but it also didn't cost $899!

BTW I have seen a number of online deals for Windows/RT tablet, which I personally think is an evolutionary dead end as they have no code compatibility with Intel-based Windows applications and offer no advantage over the newer low-power Intel-based tablets using Clover trail et.el and soon Core-M.

Last edited by timfountain; 10-15-2014 at 12:07 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 PM

1,759 posts, read 3,240,210 times
I am not that into tablets. I just bought an Insignia NS-15AT08 8" Android tablet from Best Buy. They are $80 new but you can find a used ones on cowboom.com for $59-$65. I just use this tablet for entertainment, communications, checking the news, and a convenient way to lug textbooks around. 8" is nicer than 7" but not massive. This tablet feels heavier than the cheap plastic Chinese 7" that it replaced. And I couldn't find a nice bargain swivel case for it because 8" is an odd size, and I ended up ordering a universal 8" case from ebay. Quad core and Bluetooth are nice to have. I bought a 32GC card, class 10 Lexar, at Big Lots recent 20% off sale. I got a bluetooth keyboard, iHome brand, for only $10 at Ollie's discount. (Sarcasm alert: Only the best for me, hahahahaha! But I wanted value, figuring a tablet has a only 1-2 year service life.) I installed WPS Office on it. I've used Android Jelly Bean and KitKat varities. KitKat has more features and is the newest Android. Battery life is supposed to be pretty good, per user reviews.

Antutu benchmark score was 22529.
Tablet is not rooted out of the box. I''m not going to root mine for a good while.

Insignia 8 WiFi Tablet 8GB NS-15AT08 - Best Buy

Operating System Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Processor Rockchip RK3188-T quad core, 1.4GHz, ARM Cortex-A9, rev. r3p0
Board rk30sdk
SD Card Slot Yes, up to 32 GB supported
Storage Capacity 8GB
System Memory (RAM) 1GB
Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
Front Facing Webcam Yes
Speakers Internal
HDMI Output No
USB 2.0 Ports: 1 Micro USB 2.0
Bluetooth 4.0
Digital Camera 0.3MP front-facing and 2.0MP rear-facing
Headphone Jack Yes
Screen Size (Measured Diagonally) 8"
Display Type Touchscreen 1024 x 768
Density 160 dpi
Renderer Mali-400MP
Battery Type Lithium 4000 mAh
GPS Enabled No

Warranty Parts 1 year limited
Warranty Labor 1 year limited
Height 0.4"
Width 8.8"
Depth 6.2"
Weight 14.4 oz.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 PM

993 posts, read 1,413,890 times
Three of us in the house treated ourselves to Nexus 7 tablets for Christmas last year. We all love them. Our college daughter uses hers when taking her college (heavy) laptop is not practical but she still wants email, surfing between classes, internet connections (she only has a prepaid dumb phone). My husband who is not tech savvy and we doubted he would use it loves it for downloading books (just as easy as downloading to a kindle once you enter the info into amazon.com, surprisingly easy), checking email, playing solitaire, pulling up YouTubes when he is repairing an appliance or car...all without carrying around his laptop. I love it to take to work so that I can read, look at email, skype with our daughter away at college...on my lunch hour.
All three of us have prepaid dumb phones so we use our tablets for getting directions, downloading carry out menues for local restaurants, and finding the nearest xxx while we are away from home. I never have a problem finding a free internet connection no matter where I am. And since we do not download or check bank info or other financial stuff on our tablets I do not worry about tapping into an unsecured internet connection at Starbucks, McD's, the doctor's office, etc.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:07 AM

199 posts, read 225,281 times
The Samsung Galaxy tab S 10" is a great overall high-end tablet but goes for around $500 US. If you are looking for something in a better price range the Lenovo A8 & A10 tablets are very impressive for their price range of $125-$170US. My daughter just got an A8 and I had a chance to play around with it for a couple days and I have to say it is very quick and has impressed me above what I expected. I might just get one for myself because I was so impressed with what you get for the price.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:09 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,415,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Kindle Fire would be one.
I loved my Kindle Fire (NOTE: You back pocket is NOT a good place to put it) I need to get another one. But the Kindle Fire is better for Amazon content consumption.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 PM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
The Kindle is better for what? Amazon consumption?
I actually don't believe it is even a tiny bit better then any newer Android tablet since they finally released Prime for "normal" Android tablets.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:24 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,214,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The Kindle is better for what? Amazon consumption?
I actually don't believe it is even a tiny bit better then any newer Android tablet since they finally released Prime for "normal" Android tablets.
Kindle Owners' Lending Library is still only available for Amazon tablets, phones, and e-readers.

The book browsing experience is also a bit smoother on the Fire than with the Amazon Android app.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:05 AM

1,759 posts, read 3,240,210 times
Adding more toys: I picked up a used Insignia NT-15A07, Android KitKat, 7" dual core tablet, Rockchip RK3168. Dirt cheap, $30. I'm going to leave it at work for entertainment during lunch. It was an excellent deal. :-)

You access the developer mode on these by going into settings, about tablet, and tapping 7 times on the Android version number. Then you are a developer and can turn on USB debugging, etc. That's kind of odd and I'm not sure whether that's explained in the user guide or not.

I rooted it easily with the latest Kingo Root. Had no problems. Stuck a Lexar class 10 16GB micro SD card in it. This tablet also has Bluetooth and 1024x600. 1GB DDR3.

A new one is about $65 at Best Buy.

eta: One user review said "can't use a stylus." You can. The screen on this model is just insensitive in general. It responds better to fingers than stylus, but either way you have to press harder on it than on most of the other tablets that I've tried. There are a few user comments about that, too.

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 10-28-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or