U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:30 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,896,432 times

Advertisements

i'm thinking of getting a tablet primarily for travel reasons. i don't want to get a high-tech smartphone for such since i like the bigger screen on a tablet. here are my needs:

1. no apple product. in general, i dont like apple products. i tend to use dell/hp stuff more

2. lightweight and slim

3. when im travelling, i tend to use the computer for mapping/directions, look up stuff in the area (e.g. restaurants) while multitasking on it like emails or messaging or being in forums

4. decent camera

5. reasonable cost

6. simple games like card games. i dont play interactive games or games like candy crush.

i have very little experience with tablets outside of work. we use a dell notebook at work, and with our office putting up a lot of firewalls for security (e.g. we cant access outside email such as yahoo), we have very limited use of such.

what would be the best tablet/s for my needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 11:02 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,896,432 times
oh and i would also like to be able to view videos on youtube. i would also like to be able to print stuff from it easily

Old 09-30-2014, 11:04 PM

5,626 posts, read 5,245,377 times
Kindle Fire would be one.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:26 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
A kindle os OK, but I wouldn't call it the ebst non Apple tablet right now.
If you want a little cheaper check out the 8" Galaxy Tab Pro. Goes for around $249.
Printing is easy on an Android IF you have a decent WiFi printer.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:02 AM

6,120 posts, read 9,727,767 times
We have Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 and like them both. For what you do, probably the Nexus 7 is sufficient (unless you want the larger screen for the videos).

Old 10-01-2014, 05:19 PM

7,532 posts, read 6,210,624 times
it sounds like your needs are pretty basic, there's a new Nexus tablet coming out in a few weeks and for that reason the 2013 Nexus 7 (which is among Androids best tabs) can be had pretty reasonably. about $150

that's the best tablet deal out there right now IMO

Old 10-02-2014, 02:41 PM

13,773 posts, read 9,277,850 times
Best non-Apple tablet imo is the Notes 4 or Galaxy S tablet by Samsung.

Kindles are not very good tablet they are e-reader / media consumption devices. Because Amazon has placed restrictions on the interface it is not worth to use a multipurpose tablet.

The Notes 4 or Galaxy S tablet series is much better in terms of usability and specs. There are issues with kindle based tablets when you're trying to use it at work some work MDM apps do not support Kindles.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:36 AM

4,071 posts, read 2,581,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
it sounds like your needs are pretty basic, there's a new Nexus tablet coming out in a few weeks and for that reason the 2013 Nexus 7 (which is among Androids best tabs) can be had pretty reasonably. about $150

that's the best tablet deal out there right now IMO
^^ This

Old 10-09-2014, 03:39 AM

102 posts, read 100,782 times
I just got a tablet yesterday and I picked the Samsung galaxy tab 4, 8 inch it is pretty good so far and easy to use for me since I been using Samsung phones for a few years and the UI is the same. I have a few days to return it if I change my mind but that would only happen if I can find it cheaper somewhere else than where I bought it. It was about $250 which is a little more than I was looking to spend but for the things I want to use it for it is working just fine so far. (Internet browsing, youtube, and games mostly) I would like something a little faster even but that would probably cost a bit more. This tablet is 1.2ghz quad core processor and 1.5 gb of ram and 16gb of memory but only about 11 usable for personal use (5gb for system and bloat ware) So far I would recommend it though but maybe for you, you might want a 7 inch instead as they are a bit more lightweight which you said you are looking for. Samsung also makes a 7 inch version of this tablet so I would recommend that one specifically for you perhaps. It is a bit cheaper as well, anyways good luck with Makin you choice. The wide selection makes it hard at times.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:02 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticLoner View Post
. It was about $250 which is a little more than I was looking to spend
That's a good price for an 8" tablet. It does amaze me how much people think tablets should cost. That's more then you were looking to spend on a larger brand name tablet? Come on, man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or