U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 06:04 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,413,697 times

Advertisements

I am about ready to buy the following:

a Samsung (factory refurbished) Tab Pro 12.2 Tablet--running Android KitKat 4.4 O.S. at a very attractive price.

I Have a 20 month old Motorola Droid Razar Maxx Smart Phone and an ASUS Lap Top running an Android O.S. (about 20 months old also) that each get used every day.

I am retired and over 80 yrs, and enjoy using these type devices, however I am not a 'techy" in any sense -of-the-word.................just know enough to get by.

QUESTION: What additional benefits will I get with this tablet that I don't currently have with the Smart phone and Lap Top I have?
When I drive into town a couple of times a week I take my Phone with me and usually check my email and maybe get on the internet for some reason while I'm gone..........however the screen is quite small. My thinking is that the tablet will be much easier to use than the phone..(I'll still take the phone to use "as a phone" which I can't do with the Tablet.

Thanks for any comments and/or opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 06:35 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,676,409 times
I had a similar question before getting my iPad Air. I have an iMac and an iPhone, and wondered if I'd even use the iPad. Well, I use it *a lot* and am so glad to have it. I use the Kindle app for reading and the Amazon Prime app for watching movies or TV videos when I don't especially want to be sitting at the computer. And it's nice to have a larger and portable version of email.

Several of my apps sync with the iMac version and because I use Dropbox, I can throw any doc into it from the iMac and have it available for reading or revision.

I'd say I use it about 100% more than I expected, and know it was a good decision to get it. Hope this helps!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:59 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,040 times
It's all about the form-factor. The shape, size, display, input.

Your laptop is kind of portable, has a huge screen + keyboard + mouse/touchpad. Use if when you need to see a lot, and when you have a lot of input.
Use it for heavy duty surfing, writing documents, spreadsheets, etc. Also the high end games. Best for editing contacts and calenders when you have more than one or two entries to add/change.

Your phone is the most portable, but has the smallest screen and the least convenient input.
Use if for calls, texting, looking up contacts, calender events, very very simple email reading and responding. I'm starting to do this a lot more with Voice Recognition input rather than typing. The Android voice recog is very impressive.
Also good for Nav in your car, and as a MP3 player.

Your tablet is in the middle. it has a larger screen, and can have a full sized KWERTY keyboard, but it doesn't have a mouse, the keyboard doesn't have feedback (so touch-typing is much slower).
Use it for eBook reading, traveling games, and out of house checking of the calender and contacts.
It's good for taking to a meeting when you might take a few paragraphs of notes, but your laptop's full keyboard won't be needed. If you find yourself doing this a lot, you should consider getting a lightweight portable keyboard to go with the tablet.
I also stopped traveling with my laptop and now use my tablet for that. It's inconveniences are acceptable for just 2-3 days, for doing all my email etc, and is MUCH easier to travel with then the full laptop satchel.
I've never done it, but the laptop and tablet would be better suited then your cell, for Skyping and such. Both from viewing screen size and battery power concerns.

All three have different battery sizes, but they should be sized so each has about 20 hours of moderate use, (you probably need to plug all three in most every night).

Old 11-12-2014, 08:07 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
To specifically answer your question: it's just a much bigger version of your phone.
It is a Samsung so there will be 8 or so apps that ONLY comes on that tablet that your Motorola phone does not have. It comes with the S-Pen too, I believe which is a pretty neat way to write on your tablet, but other then that: it's just a big version of your phone.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:13 PM

25,158 posts, read 18,653,856 times
Large tablets are much easier to read and type on, and are more comfortable if you're stationary like sitting on a couch.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:01 PM

197 posts, read 280,205 times
In my opinion, tablets are niche products - you absolutely don't need one between your laptop (which takes care of work - spreadsheets, doing a ton of writing etc.) and your smart phone (your mobile device for calls, e-mail etc.) Both can be used to take care of your entertainment needs too.

With that said, if getting a tablet doesn't break your budget, they are wonderful gadgets for their niche. I use my tablet when I'm vegging out on the couch to surf the net, watch videos etc. The bigger screen makes it a better choice for reading and watching videos than my phone. It's also the first thing I grab when I go on (non-work) trips as it's lighter and less awkward to use than a laptop while traveling.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:14 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,019,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I had a similar question before getting my iPad Air. I have an iMac and an iPhone, and wondered if I'd even use the iPad. Well, I use it *a lot* and am so glad to have it. I use the Kindle app for reading and the Amazon Prime app for watching movies or TV videos when I don't especially want to be sitting at the computer. And it's nice to have a larger and portable version of email.

Several of my apps sync with the iMac version and because I use Dropbox, I can throw any doc into it from the iMac and have it available for reading or revision.

I'd say I use it about 100% more than I expected, and know it was a good decision to get it. Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opacy View Post

With that said, if getting a tablet doesn't break your budget, they are wonderful gadgets for their niche. I use my tablet when I'm vegging out on the couch to surf the net, watch videos etc. The bigger screen makes it a better choice for reading and watching videos than my phone. It's also the first thing I grab when I go on (non-work) trips as it's lighter and less awkward to use than a laptop while traveling.

Agreed... I have a MB Air and an iPhone 6+. I bought the iPad Air 2 LTE and I can use it around town doing everything my phone can do on a much bigger screen.

I'm 40 with good vision and while I like the big screen phone I really like the bigger screen iPad. I use it when I'm out and about and also use it while I'm surfing on the couch. I travel strictly for pleasure and when I book my next trip the laptop can stay at home.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:01 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,413,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
I am about ready to buy the following:

a Samsung (factory refurbished) Tab Pro 12.2 Tablet--running Android KitKat 4.4 O.S. at a very attractive price.

I Have a 20 month old Motorola Droid Razar Maxx Smart Phone and an ASUS Lap Top running an Android O.S. (about 20 months old also) that each get used every day.

I am retired and over 80 yrs, and enjoy using these type devices, however I am not a 'techy" in any sense -of-the-word.................just know enough to get by.

QUESTION: What additional benefits will I get with this tablet that I don't currently have with the Smart phone and Lap Top I have?
When I drive into town a couple of times a week I take my Phone with me and usually check my email and maybe get on the internet for some reason while I'm gone..........however the screen is quite small. My thinking is that the tablet will be much easier to use than the phone..(I'll still take the phone to use "as a phone" which I can't do with the Tablet.

Thanks for any comments and/or opinions.
.......OK, I bought the Samsung Tablet mentioned in my above post....and bought a SanDisk Ultra micro SDHC 35GB memory card for it.

Questions:
1/..... I obviously want to keep my same E mail address (i've had it for 10 years) so: Can I keep my existing E mail account (msn.com), and NOT transfer ALL The Emails and other "stuff" that has accumulated in my existing LapTop and Smart Phone?....they are "synced" together.

2/ Can I selectively transfer just certain "things" such as Certain photos and/or documents from either the LapTop and/or Smart Phone?

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:51 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
1/ No. I don't understand why you would want to? In order for your tablet to get email, it is going to synch with MSN...just like your phone and PC do. This is a good thing and hurts nothing.

2/ Of course. You can connect it to your laptop and transfer over only the things you want. With your SMartphone you'd have to use something like DropBox.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:24 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,593,270 times
I use this for transferring photos

Photo Transfer App | Easily transfer Photos & Videos TO & FROM your Computer & iPhone, iPad, iPad mini, iTouch and Android

Similar app for files other than just pictures.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...anywhere&hl=en

Both of these skip the necessity of storing your files in the "cloud", which I am not a fan of doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or