U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:56 PM

25,158 posts, read 18,661,858 times

Advertisements

iPads are designed to be user friendly and not for the tech savvy. In large part, that's why they've done so well. I still prefer my Air 2 to my dad's mini just due to the size. I use my iPad doing cardio at the gym a lot and the mini would be hard to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 11:28 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,765,214 times
Default UPDATE: chose iPad Air 2 over Mini - but having problems connecting to Verizon Jetpack hotspot

Love the larger Air 2 after all. Having fun coming out of the 17th century into the 21st.

BUT the iPad won't connect to my Verizon Jetpack. It will connect to an iPhone5 personal hotspot, so accessing wi-fi is not the problem. The iPad is not Wi-Fi + Cellular, just wi-fi.

We use the Jetpack for our desktop, laptops, Kindle, and no problem with any of these devices getting onto the 'net (and none of them are cellular). But with the iPad, it sees the Jetpack, but doesn't accept the password (and yes, checked many times that we're entering the correct password taking care that it really is correct). Since I'm not trying to access the internet through cellular service, I don't believe the issue has anything to do with the fact that the iPad is not Wi-Fi + Cellular.

I've googled Apple and Jetpack support websites and can't seem to find an answer for my particular dilemma. Not sure what to do next. Ideas?

Old 12-25-2014, 04:08 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,677,063 times
Call Apple Support (well, maybe not today....)

They are your new Best Friends for 90 days, or for three years, if you bought Apple Care. Get on Voice Pass, and it will streamline your getting in touch with them for further calls. You can add Apple Care anytime in the next 90 days, I think. If you're anything like me, the service is worth its weight in gold....

You will find one of the best customer service experiences....in over ten years, I've had only one dude who was condescending, and I just asked that he pass me on to another person. He did, no problem.

This is assuming you have registered your new iPad with Apple. If you haven't yet done this, it's the first step, which I think can be done with your call.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Old 12-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Call Apple Support (well, maybe not today....)

They are your new Best Friends for 90 days, or for three years, if you bought Apple Care. Get on Voice Pass, and it will streamline your getting in touch with them for further calls. You can add Apple Care anytime in the next 90 days, I think. If you're anything like me, the service is worth its weight in gold....

You will find one of the best customer service experiences....in over ten years, I've had only one dude who was condescending, and I just asked that he pass me on to another person. He did, no problem.

This is assuming you have registered your new iPad with Apple. If you haven't yet done this, it's the first step, which I think can be done with your call.

Congratulations on your purchase!
Thank you for all the advice!

As for my dilemma ... mysteriously solved on its own.

I have NO idea why the iPad Air 2 and the Jetpack 890L decided on their own to play nice! Never give up; never surrender is my motto, so I kept at it. I turned both devices off and then back on, which in itself did not solve the problem, and then I ran through all the settings on the Jetpack (without changing anything, just looking) and the same with the iPad (only "change" made was turning the wi-fi off and then back on a few times).

Gave it all a rest, and came back a few hours later and tried to connect the two and voila!

I wish I had an explanation so that I could share it with others who may have similar issues. Since I didn't physically change anything on either device, I can only think it was something in the environment. When I was first trying to connect, I'm sure everyone in my neighborhood was also trying out new gadgets they had received for Christmas, and maybe there was a ton of interference going on. The iPad and the iPhone hotspot were very close to each other, and maybe that's why the two easily connected. Another explanation is that when the iPad and the Jetpack did connect later in the day, the iPhone hotspot had been turned off and, of course, was no longer seen by the iPad, so it went looking for another connection device, found the Jetpack, and for whatever reason (less interference by then?) connected.

Throughout, the one thing I did not do and now I wish I had was to move the iPad and Jetpack closer to each other. Although ultimately distance didn't matter, it may have been the problem all along at the time. That's the only suggestion I have for anyone, that if all settings are correct and devices have been "reset" by powering down and then up, if it's invisible and unknown interference causing the problem, try again with devices near each other.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:02 AM

13,317 posts, read 20,368,637 times
Whenever I get the "can't connect to...", one thing I do is click on the i next to the network name and click forget this network. I retry and it often works. I have no idea why it happens.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Whenever I get the "can't connect to...", one thing I do is click on the i next to the network name and click forget this network. I retry and it often works. I have no idea why it happens.
Thanks for the idea ... should I encounter anymore issues, I'll try that. Fingers crossed I won't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or