Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:00 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,925,154 times

Advertisements

I know zip about Apple products and even less about tablet-type devices. I need to use an Apple app for a project I'll be working on, and although I could use an iPhone or iPod, I'd rather have something a bit bigger. I only need Wi-Fi, not cellular capabilities. Except for size and price, is there any huge difference between the iPad Air and the iPad mini?

Although I'll be purchasing the iPad for the app, it will of course make sense to use the iPad for all the other reasons it's capable of doing. The app is just a simple thing for an observing project requiring a timer that goes off every 30 seconds repeatedly, and when it goes off I just choose from a list to note what I'm seeing at the moment and to sometimes type a notation to go along with my choice (which I why I prefer something larger than an iPhone). When the session is done it's immediately uploaded to some database somewhere.

Along with comparing capabilities between the Air and the Mini, I'm wondering about size and weight. I'll be standing not sitting for at least an hour at a time, and will I find either the Air or the Mini is easier to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 10:40 AM

858 posts, read 2,985,870 times
The size and weight is on Apple's site.

My wife has a Mini, and uses it for reading books. We both use the regular iPad for everything else, as it is more comfortable to use and read.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:10 AM

17,674 posts, read 29,584,857 times
Wife loves her Mini. I find it too small.
I like my iPad Air 2.
We use both every evening for reading books and visiting websites.
Go to a store and fondle both.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:18 PM

Thanks marc515 and davebarnes ... truly appreciate your input!!

Old 12-03-2014, 01:22 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,888,105 times
For future reference tablets have their own sub forum http://www.city-data.com/forum/tablets/

Old 12-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
For future reference tablets have their own sub forum http://www.city-data.com/forum/tablets/
Oh my goodness - duh on me - I didn't see that! Thank you!

Old 12-03-2014, 05:07 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,655,758 times
They're very similar, but some models have more horsepower than others.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:58 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,533,525 times
Sorry misread question ;to late at nite.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:29 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,733,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I know zip about Apple products and even less about tablet-type devices. I need to use an Apple app for a project I'll be working on, and although I could use an iPhone or iPod, I'd rather have something a bit bigger. I only need Wi-Fi, not cellular capabilities. Except for size and price, is there any huge difference between the iPad Air and the iPad mini?

Although I'll be purchasing the iPad for the app, it will of course make sense to use the iPad for all the other reasons it's capable of doing. The app is just a simple thing for an observing project requiring a timer that goes off every 30 seconds repeatedly, and when it goes off I just choose from a list to note what I'm seeing at the moment and to sometimes type a notation to go along with my choice (which I why I prefer something larger than an iPhone). When the session is done it's immediately uploaded to some database somewhere.

Along with comparing capabilities between the Air and the Mini, I'm wondering about size and weight. I'll be standing not sitting for at least an hour at a time, and will I find either the Air or the Mini is easier to use?
You'll be standing...will you also be holding the iPad, or will you have it on a stand next to you?
If you get to rest it on a stand, I'd say to go for the iPad Air, as the larger keyboard will work better for making notes.

~~~~~
PS....I have an iPad Air and I'll just say I originally got it for only 1 or 2 reasons, but in actuality I use it about 300% more than I ever anticipated...

Old 12-04-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
You'll be standing...will you also be holding the iPad, or will you have it on a stand next to you?
If you get to rest it on a stand, I'd say to go for the iPad Air, as the larger keyboard will work better for making notes.

~~~~~
PS....I have an iPad Air and I'll just say I originally got it for only 1 or 2 reasons, but in actuality I use it about 300% more than I ever anticipated...
I'll be holding it, so I'm presuming it'll have to be one-finger typing when making a notation.

Macrina - thanks for the P.S. ... I'm guessing that's what will happen to me, too :-) I'm also guessing that others in the household will commandeer it on occasion.

To all -- thank you for your input! I can now go to the Apple Store (for the first time ever) and not feel like a complete novice so that I can handle and play with the Air and Mini to see which will feel best. Once I decide, then I presume I should do some research to find a place of purchase other than an Apple Store? or are the prices about the same elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets