U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 11:55 AM

6,682 posts, read 4,362,111 times

Advertisements

I had just received a 10 year service award from my employer worth $500 and I had some generic gift cards still laying around, so I decided to buy the iPad Air 2 with universal Cellular. I don't plan to immediately connect to cellular, but I figured at some point in the future I probably would. If you don't get an iPad with cellular, you can never upgrade it later on. I figured it would be worth the cost in terms insuring connectivity.

Our iPhones are currently on Verizon, so I figured, when I do connect I would just add the iPad to our account. Well, after getting it home I discovered it won't be that easy. Apple's idea of universality is AT&T, Sprint, or TMobile. So it looks like, if I want to add it to my account at Verizon, I will still have to get a new SIM card.

Not too big of a deal, though. Does anybody have an idea of what a data plan costs for the three built in possibilities?

Where I live, only Verizon has a decent coverage capability, but when I am home I use wifi anyway. The only concern as far as coverage is concerned will be when I am away from home. Any recommendations there?

The reason I chose the Air 2, is for the capabilities of the camera(s), with time lapse and slo mo. Mainly the slo mo after seeing a video my son took of our grand daughter on a trampoline!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 07:12 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,909,361 times
It depends on where you're traveling who has the best coverage. Verizon only costs $10/mo to add a tablet to your share plan. T-Mobile offers a completely free 200MB data plan for tablets. I'd probably get that one if they have decent coverage where you plan on being. Otherwise just go with Verizon.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:44 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,312,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I had just received a 10 year service award from my employer worth $500 and I had some generic gift cards still laying around, so I decided to buy the iPad Air 2 with universal Cellular. I don't plan to immediately connect to cellular, but I figured at some point in the future I probably would. If you don't get an iPad with cellular, you can never upgrade it later on. I figured it would be worth the cost in terms insuring connectivity.

Our iPhones are currently on Verizon, so I figured, when I do connect I would just add the iPad to our account. Well, after getting it home I discovered it won't be that easy. Apple's idea of universality is AT&T, Sprint, or TMobile. So it looks like, if I want to add it to my account at Verizon, I will still have to get a new SIM card.

Not too big of a deal, though. Does anybody have an idea of what a data plan costs for the three built in possibilities?

Where I live, only Verizon has a decent coverage capability, but when I am home I use wifi anyway. The only concern as far as coverage is concerned will be when I am away from home. Any recommendations there?

The reason I chose the Air 2, is for the capabilities of the camera(s), with time lapse and slo mo. Mainly the slo mo after seeing a video my son took of our grand daughter on a trampoline!
Why don't you give Apple a call and see what they can do for you? When you buy an Apple device such as the iPad, there is a 90-day no charge full warranty on it. During this period you can talk to a technician on the telephone, or via a chat, or email, or snail mail. You can even schedule an appointment to have an Apple technician calling you any time you want, and on time. What I would do is to ask the Apple technician if your iPad can be set for cellular service any other way than what it is now.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:30 PM

6,682 posts, read 4,362,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Why don't you give Apple a call and see what they can do for you? When you buy an Apple device such as the iPad, there is a 90-day no charge full warranty on it. During this period you can talk to a technician on the telephone, or via a chat, or email, or snail mail. You can even schedule an appointment to have an Apple technician calling you any time you want, and on time. What I would do is to ask the Apple technician if your iPad can be set for cellular service any other way than what it is now.

Not too worried about the cellular at the moment. We are close to retirement, and right now the wife and I both have iPhones, and I am carrying a company iPhone at the same time. Also have company myfi. Push comes to shove, I can use the myfi, since I use my home internet for most of my company business. Once I retire, then I can start worrying about the cellular on the iPad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets