U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:52 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,765,214 times

Advertisements

iPad has a mind of its own. When I shut it off at night - holding in the power button until the slide-button comes up saying "slide to power off", and I do that and all goes dark - it doesn't stay shut off. I'll get up in the morning, and on the screen will be any iMessages that have come in during the night with the slide-button to unlock. I now have to resort to turning off the Wi-Fi before powering down, and then the iPad stays off. And to assure it won't wake up I also turn off our hot spot creating device.

I've double-checked that the iPad is off by pushing the home button to make sure the screen stays dark, and it does.

Is this normal with the iPad or is there some setting somewhere I need to change for the darn thing to stay off? It matters because our Wi-Fi is on a data plan, so I thought just powering off the iPad, like one does with a phone, would shut it off. Apparently not so. Not happy that while I'm sleeping our data is getting chewed up.

I know - you're thinking "so just shut off the Wi-Fi" and get over it. It's just bothersome that a turned-off device isn't sitting on a table doing absolutely nothing. I'm guessing that rather than being in a dead-to-the-world sleep, it's always napping with one eye open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 08:18 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,477,035 times
That is odd and yes, you should be able to turn it off completely.

Create a backup of your data using iCloud or iTunes and restore the iPad as new. Then test it out with no data on it. If all is good, then restore from backup and test again.

Does it still have a warranty?

Old 02-25-2015, 09:38 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Agree that is not normal behavior. Nothing can force an iPad to power on. I don't even think there's an app for that!

Old 02-25-2015, 12:45 PM

13,317 posts, read 20,368,637 times
You must have it set to wake up at a certain time or something. A message isn't enough to turn it on, at least that is my understanding.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:08 AM

Thank you everyone for assuring me this is not normal. It should still be under warranty (purchased at Christmas). I'll try the backup and restore.

Truthfully I've always thought something bizarre was going on with the iPad anyway. From Day One it's had what I consider issues with Wi-Fi. Sometimes it connects right away with the internet and sometimes it spins (seemingly forever) trying to connect. I get the same behaviors regardless of how far or close I am to the hot spot (at home) or a broadband connection when I'm traveling. So, lazy me, that's why I don't want to add the extra step of turning off the Wi-Fi whenever I want to shut down and having to turn it on every time I power up. However, now I know why the internet connection has been apparently so fast - the iPad never disconnects anyway unless I manually do so.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:06 PM

13,317 posts, read 20,368,637 times
Maybe this article will answer the question:

How the NSA can 'turn on' your cell phone remotely - Jun. 6, 2014

Old 02-26-2015, 07:37 PM

4,929 posts, read 4,213,919 times
Just leave it on.

I never turn mine off, except to completely restart about once every weeks or a month or so. I do the same with my iPhone.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:41 PM

25,158 posts, read 18,661,858 times
It's not normal. Once it's off, it is off until someone manually intervenes. I did have issues with a first gen iPad that would do this and then get into a random boot loop till the battery ran dead. I would definitely contact an Apple Store and explain the issue.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:14 AM

dkf747 - I do sometimes think there's a bear behind every tree :-) Interesting that an ISIL/ISIS operative was busted in my city this week.

PeachSalsa - leaving it on would be the easiest, but we're on a data plan and I'd rather use the data myself then have it chewed up overnight or when I'm not using it.

Emigrations - yup, I think I need to contact Apple. Before I realized what was going on (that is, the mornings when there were no iMessages waiting), I did notice that the battery was running out faster than I thought it should.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:21 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Yea, I disagree with leaving it on. The battery lasts significantly longer when you shut it off between uses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or