U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:30 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times

Advertisements

I'm not wrong. I'm also not arguing with you.

The first generation Kindle Fire (which I assume you mean and not the Kindle) came with 512MB of RAM and 8 GB of storage of which about 6.5 GB was available to the user to be used for apps or music or movies.

Kindle Fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe, possibly the first generation Kindle Fire limited app storage somehow (I doubt that, it would not be in Amazon's best interest to only give you a slice of stoarage for apps), but I promise you every Android tablet on the market from the Honda to the Caddy works exactly as I described. iPads, too.

Last edited by Peregrine; 04-08-2015 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 02:38 PM

10,164 posts, read 10,484,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonFire View Post
Hi Im looking for a tablet to do web browsing (via WiFi) while not wanting to log on a desktop, or don't want bring my hulking 17 inch laptop to the collage with and run good amount of Apps (I doubt I will be using anything that would require powerful system specs) in addition I would prefer it to have a rear facing camera. So is it possible find a decent new or refurbished tablet for under 99 dollars.
Walmart sells a lot of Android based phones at a reduced price for TracFone, NET10 Wireless, Straight Talk, SIMPLE Mobile, and Total Wireless (all basically the same company). The package says you should only buy the phone if you intend to activate it with the cell company, but there is nobody to force you to do that. If you don't activate them, they make low priced Android tablets (although with 3.5"-5" screens).

I bought an LGL34C Android tablet/phone at Walmart (3.5") for less than $20 and I use it to run Android apps or to make free domestic calls using Google Voice and Hangouts when I have wifi. I have never activated it, and I can usually make calls using free wifi (from parking lot of McDonalds, Burger King, or Panera if need arises). If my car has broken down or I am in an accident, then I can purchase 120 minutes of outgoing cellular call on the Verizon network from American Roaming for $15 (good for one year).

Old 05-11-2015, 03:38 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,214,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The first generation Kindle Fire (which I assume you mean and not the Kindle) came with 512MB of RAM and 8 GB of storage of which about 6.5 GB was available to the user to be used for apps or music or movies.
Older Fires have a partition system that only allows 1.17GB to be used for apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Now maybe newer Kindles have a way to move the apps to the larger internal storage. My LG phone has this under Application settings, as does the Galaxy 4 tablet I tried at Best Buy.
You don't have to "move" the apps to larger internal storage on modern Android devices because there's no fixed-size app partition. You can just fill the device with apps, music, movies, or whatever.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:33 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,896,987 times
I paid $140 for my Acer Iconia Tab 8 at Best Buy, and it's an 8 inch. I like it a lot, but for the pre-installed bloatware, which you are going to get with any tablet, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets