U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:14 PM

54 posts, read 62,423 times

Advertisements

Hi Im looking for a tablet to do web browsing (via WiFi) while not wanting to log on a desktop, or don't want bring my hulking 17 inch laptop to the collage with and run good amount of Apps (I doubt I will be using anything that would require powerful system specs) in addition I would prefer it to have a rear facing camera. So is it possible find a decent new or refurbished tablet for under 99 dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 Lite Tablet - 1.20GHz Dual-Core Processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB On-board Memory, 7 Display, Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, Blue/Green - SM-T110NBGAXAR at TigerDirect.com

Old 03-31-2015, 03:52 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,734,548 times
That's a nice tablet from what I've read.

I actually got a factory refurb Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 not that long ago. because I had read some reviews that said that the 2.0 was actually faster than the 3.0 in some ways.

Samsung GTP3113TS8A - Best Buy

I love the thing. Yeah, I can slow it down, but for what I use it for (basic surfing, e-reader, music and video player) it does a pretty good job. I only paid $95 or so on eBay.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gala...laxy+Tab+3+7.0

Old 04-02-2015, 10:31 PM

285 posts, read 771,397 times
I got my Samsung tab 3 from groupon for about $100 and it has been wonderful to me. Absolutely no issues with it. I've had other tablets as well, mostly Nook and Samsung, but this one is my favorite - and also cost the least.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:34 AM

54 posts, read 62,423 times
thank you everyone who comment I would take a strong look at this brand

Old 04-05-2015, 09:29 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,409,573 times
I'm looking at 7" tablets. I like the Samsung Galaxy 4 but its one of the most costly at $170. Cheapest alternative wtith good reviews is Nextbook 7, $59 at Walmart. Another one I'm considering is Asus MemoPad 89 at Best Buy.

If you plan to download many apps and the latest games, one thing you need to look for is the ability to move apps to SD card. Without this you will run out of app space as apps and games must be downloaded into the app memory. Almost all 7" tablets I could find have 1Gb or less of app RAM. Exceptions are the Galaxy 4 1.5Gb, Asus ME172 2Gb $180, and Google Nexus with 2Gb. My 3 yr old Kindle Fire has 1Gb, when I installed Family Guy game this winter I had to remove a large number of apps to make room.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:19 AM

$170 is a good price for a name brand 7" tablet.
People want Cadillacs at Honda prices.... drives me nuts.
The $59 tablet....any $59 tablet is going to be junk, pure and simple.

Also, Unfocused, you are completely confusing RAM with STORAGE space. Apps are not INSTALLED into the RAM. RAM is where the programs run. They are INSTALLED into the onboard memory which is usually listed in multiples of 4 or 8.
32 should be the minimum anyone gets today.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:42 PM

Im not confused, but I may not have used the correct terms in my post or explained it right. Here is a hopefully a better explanation:

RAM-a-lama don't be a ding ding about Android storage - TechRepublic

Quote:
RAM

The Android RAM is exactly as you would expect. It's a non-upgradable, Random Access Memory that is permanently attached to your phone's system board. Many Android devices will ship with 1 or 2 GB of RAM. Of this total, your operating system will use a portion of that. So, even if you know your phone has 1 GB of RAM, you'll never have the total amount of RAM available, because the operating system must use some. With this in mind, never buy an Android phone with less than 512 MB of RAM. With this small amount of RAM, the Android OS will not leave you much RAM to run applications, which means apps will run very slowly.
Internal storage

This is the storage that's permanently attached to your phone. You cannot remove or upgrade this storage. Internal storage is particularly important, because this is where your apps are stored. If you buy a budget or entry-level phone, you'll probably find around 512 MB of internal storage. With this low amount of storage, you'll only be able to install a few apps. So, you want to shoot for a minimum of 1 to 2 GB. Many higher-end Android phones have 16 to 32 GB of internal storage -- and that's a lot of room for apps.

Now, this is where it gets a bit murky. Some Android phones allow you to install apps to the external storage (SD card). Some phones require a third-party app (from the Google Play Store) to do this. Some phones (such as the Motorola Moto X) do not offer external storage at all, so you have to be careful not to fill up your internal storage.
What I am talking about is the internal storage.

As I said above my Kindle Fire has 1Gb of internal storage, and I have run out of room to install new apps on that device several times. It doesnt matter that 5.2Gb of the 8Gb on the device is available. The app must have enough memory available to download to the internal storage prior to installation.

And as the page above says, as this memory shrinks with more apps installed, the device may run slowly. Or, like my wifes Ipad, apps may simply stop while in use or just not run at all. Yep, Apple devices can have the same issue.

Now all this depends on the device you select, the version of Android on the device, and the manufacturer. It may be an issue even on the "Cadillac" tablet brands. For example, I found the many complaints about it with Samsung Galaxy tablets. And it may not be a problem unless you instal many apps, and many people get a tablet and dont think they will install apps, I was like that as well at first.

I can afford the 170 for the Samsung. But these devices have a short life of 2 to 4 years so I wanna know some things before I pay the Cadillac price. Will a Honda at 2/3 the price work as well? Or better? And will a Kia at half the price work well enough?

Old 04-07-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Im not confused,
Ok, maybe not confused. Maybe just straight up wrong?

Quote:
What I am talking about is the internal storage.
You really don't need to explain this to me. Believe me, I understand it. I support phones and tablets at my job.

Quote:
As I said above my Kindle Fire has 1Gb of internal storage, and I have run out of room to install new apps on that device several times.
No Kindle ever released came with only 1GB of STORAGE.

Quote:
It doesnt matter that 5.2Gb of the 8Gb on the device is available. The app must have enough memory available to download to the internal storage prior to installation.
It absolutely does matter. The STORAGE is where your apps get installed. Not the 1GB of RAM. In your scenario you can install 5.2GB of apps. If there is an app that uses A LOT of RAM while it is running (very few do) then yes, if your STORAGE is full, if may cause it to run slower. Because once it uses all the RAM it will start to utilize the STORAGE... think of STORAGE as the hard drive.
I have seen phones with 0 GB of Storage left that continue to actually run and MANY times still run pretty well.

Quote:
I can afford the 170 for the Samsung. But these devices have a short life of 2 to 4 years so I wanna know some things before I pay the Cadillac price. Will a Honda at 2/3 the price work as well? Or better? And will a Kia at half the price work well enough?
It isn't about how long they last.
The Cadillac will have more RAM which allows you to switch between apps much more smoothly.
The Cadillac will have more storage space. Most Cadillacs start at 16GB. I've seen Honda's start at 4GB. Which is a dismal amount of space.
The Cadillac will have a significantly nicer screen. Better brightness, sharper colors, better blacks, more PPI.
The Cadillac will have a better, more responsive touchscreen.
The Cadillac will have better support should it ever break down.
The Cadillac will get Operating System updates, the Honda's rarely do.
The Cadillac will probably survive a fall better, too.
Yes... the Honda will get you where you need to go. Maybe a little slower. But you'll get there. And I guarantee you, no Honda Tablet will outperform the Caddy....

I've seen person after person by these cheap sub-$100 brand new tablets only to be frustrated and annoyed by them.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Quote:
It doesnt matter that 5.2Gb of the 8Gb on the device is available. The app must have enough memory available to download to the internal storage prior to installation.
It absolutely does matter. The STORAGE is where your apps get installed. Not the 1GB of RAM. In your scenario you can install 5.2GB of apps.
Sorry but you are the one who is "straight up wrong" here.

My Kindle is the first generation. As I look at the settings right now I have 1.17 GB of Application Storage on my Kindle, 736M is used. The rest of the memory CANNOT be used for apps. There is no button, no menu, no way on the device to move applictions from the smaller Application Storage block to the larger memory block. Which is why I, and many others get "low application memory" warnings and cannot download more apps unless memory is freed up.

Now maybe newer Kindles have a way to move the apps to the larger internal storage. My LG phone has this under Application settings, as does the Galaxy 4 tablet I tried at Best Buy. Yep I test drove the Cadillac, its very nice, but I may wait for a good sale or see what Black Friday deals are offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets