U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:16 PM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times

Advertisements

What Google apps do you want to get rid of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 07:27 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,896,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Plex Server will handle this nicely with a bit of setup.

https://plex.tv/

The server component is free, and the Android app is a few $$ but oh so worth it IMO.

If you watch the Amazon app store, it generally ends up on the free list every few months.
Well, with 9tb of video on my disks I have my own Netflix at home, and if I allow someone to charge me for access to it that really does defeat the purpose of years of collecting video. I'll happily do without paying someone else for access to my own content. I'll just load video on my tablet at home for watching elsewhere. I've put 48 gb of memory in my tablet, that should suffice for the time I'm out of the house.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:12 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,678,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Well, with 9tb of video on my disks I have my own Netflix at home, and if I allow someone to charge me for access to it that really does defeat the purpose of years of collecting video. I'll happily do without paying someone else for access to my own content. I'll just load video on my tablet at home for watching elsewhere. I've put 48 gb of memory in my tablet, that should suffice for the time I'm out of the house.
It's only a 1 time fee for the app, so I don't see how they are charging you to access your own content (apps take a lot of time and energy to write).

We also have several TB of content on our server, and use Roku boxes at each TV (using the Plex app) to view that content, and on our tablets / phones when away from the house.

Plex is seriously worth the $4 or $5 dollars that it costs.

There is a premium service that has a monthly fee, but it's not needed at all, and just adds additional features (like file sync, and users).

Old 05-14-2015, 08:33 AM

Yea, Skunky is totally right. You aren't paying for access you are paying one time for a BEAUTIFUL interface to make streaming everything (not just movies) from your Android tablet simple, fast, easy and gorgeous.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Old 05-14-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
all those they pre-installed that I have no use for, which is just about all of them. There's a lot of them, and I'm not going to type up a list for you.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:08 PM

1,759 posts, read 3,240,210 times
Quote:
Well I have a bluetooth keyboard on order and due to arrive today, so I'm eager to see how that works. Assuming it works well enough my next project for my tablet is to see if I can find a way to connect to my home computer with it remotely from a WiFi spot. That would be pretty cool, especially if I could access the 9tb of video I have at home remotely.

I loaded WPS Office on mine, so I could use them for email and forums and word processing. The price was right. Nothing but the best for me. I bought used Insignia tablets on ebay. hehe

The one that I rooted is the 7" NS-15AT07. I still have to go look up how I partitioned and formatted the SD card, and what I used to "spread" apps and their data to the SD card. Android KitKat 4.4 doesn't offer "move to SD." I think I have two partions on my SD card, maybe xfat and NTFS. I really can't remember.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
all those they pre-installed that I have no use for, which is just about all of them. There's a lot of them, and I'm not going to type up a list for you.
You can't even mention one? Really? I didn't ask for a complete list.

I'm trying to help you. I bet most of the apps you are oh-so annoyed about came from Acer, not Google.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
You can't even mention one? Really? I didn't ask for a complete list.

I'm trying to help you. I bet most of the apps you are oh-so annoyed about came from Acer, not Google.
Okay, Drive is one, I don't care to put my files on someone else's disks somewhere else, everything I have is backed up to DVD-R's, and Google Plus is another, I have no interest in anything that does, Google Settings I don't need either since it's for Google Plus and all Google's tentacles in my device, Play Books, Play Movies, Play Games, Play Newstand, Play Music, People, Evernote, Top HD Games, Pro Office Suite, and Zinio are a few I'd like to get rid of. Games is another, I'm just not into games, I have better things to do.

I have my own preferred apps for music and movies. Float Gadget... I'm not even sure what that is....

I'd also like to get rid of any apps that have ads in them, but that may not be possible.

Last edited by amylewis; 05-15-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 10:03 AM

4,883 posts, read 2,499,076 times
Quote:
Well I have a bluetooth keyboard on order and due to arrive today, so I'm eager to see how that works. Assuming it works well enough my next project for my tablet is to see if I can find a way to connect to my home computer with it remotely from a WiFi spot. That would be pretty cool, especially if I could access the 9tb of video I have at home remotely.
i use xbmc (now called kodi) and the xbmc-remote app.
Quote:
Okay, Drive is one, I don't care to put my files on someone else's disks somewhere else, everything I have is backed up to DVD-R's, and Google Plus is another, I have no interest in anything that does, Google Settings I don't need either since it's for Google Plus and all Google's tentacles in my device, Play Books, Play Movies, Play Games, Play Newstand, Play Music, People, Evernote, Top HD Games, Pro Office Suite, and Zinio are a few I'd like to get rid of. Games is another, I'm just not into games, I have better things to do.

I have my own preferred apps for music and movies. Float Gadget... I'm not even sure what that is....

I'd also like to get rid of any apps that have ads in them, but that may not be possible.
i would recommend cyanogenmod. also nexus devices are designed to be root-able.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 05-15-2015 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets