Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:41 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,261,989 times

Advertisements

Okay, now I can't figure out how to use Google maps on my tablet. I went to the documentation online, and it tells me to use controls I cannot see on my screen at all. I put in an address, and it will show me a route, but there's no way to start it navigating like there is with Waze. I need it to do turn by turn navigation, not just show me a route on a map, which is all it does on my tablet. There has to be something I'm missing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post

Waze isn't meant to be an offline navigator- if that's what you want, use a different app like Here or CoPilot.
Wasn't meant to be an offline navigator?????

Okay, now I'm confused... again. So you are saying that Waze on my phone, is online, somehow, through the cellular network? And on my tablet it's not because my tablet can't access the cellular network? I've gotten a lot of conflicting information on this matter.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:48 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,338,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Wasn't meant to be an offline navigator?????

Okay, now I'm confused... again. So you are saying that Waze on my phone, is online, somehow, through the cellular network? And on my tablet it's not because my tablet can't access the cellular network? I've gotten a lot of conflicting information on this matter.
Do you have a data plan for your phone?

If yes, this is how Waze is working on your phone.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Do you have a data plan for your phone?

If yes, this is how Waze is working on your phone.
Okay, that makes some sense. Yes I do have a data plan for my phone. Apparently there is no way to save maps for offline use with Waze, but there is with Google Maps, so I've started doing that for Florida, which is where I drive for a living. I'm figuring out how to use Google Maps now, and hopefully will have it down for work today. Reviews have it that nothing is better than Google Maps for GPS. We shall see.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:48 PM

Well I just tried Google maps and on a tablet it's useless, even when you save the maps to your device. It will still refuse to let you input a destination without the network. So I guess you can only make use of that on a phone, not a tablet, and I'm still looking for a GPS app I can use on my tablet.

There must be one.....

Old 05-16-2015, 04:59 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,338,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
I'm still looking for a GPS app I can use on my tablet.

There must be one.....
Did you try the suggestions Peregrine and I gave you in your other thread?

Old 05-16-2015, 05:02 PM

Well I just tried Google maps and on a tablet it's useless, even when you save the maps to your device. It will still refuse to let you input a destination without the network. So I guess you can only make use of that on a phone, not a tablet, and I'm still looking for a GPS app I can use on my tablet.

There must be one.....trying Here now, downloading the maps of Florida to it, which is taking a very long time, I assume they are very detailed.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:41 PM

There must be one.....trying Here now, downloading the maps of Florida to it, which is taking a very long time, I assume they are very detailed.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:55 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,630,872 times
The Copilot gps app has offline maps, and will do directions without an internet connection.

You will have to download the maps beforehand though.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
The Copilot gps app has offline maps, and will do directions without an internet connection.

You will have to download the maps beforehand though.
Okay, I'll try that next. I tried Here today and when I went to download a map of Florida it froze up every time, and I tried several times. It would get about 5% of the way into the download, and quit there every time. Those guys need to get it together. I tried this from two different locations, and it would just not work at all.

I have to say, it's quite the wild goose chase trying to get a GPS app that will work on my tablet and on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets