Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 11:25 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,262,646 times

Advertisements

I wanted to get rid of all the crap apps that came pre-installed one my Acer Iconia Tab 8, and in looking into this I found I needed to be rooted in order to do that, because of how they are installed, or something. I got a system app remover and it told me I had to be rooted to use it, and gave instructions which I followed. Then I downloaded Oneclickroot.apk, and tried to open it, but my tablet says it can't open it. Bummer in the summer.

So, did Google make sure I could not open this file? Why can't I open it? What can I do to make my tablet open it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 11:34 AM

Well I finally got it installed, and ran Oneclickroot, and it told me, "sorry, device can't be rooted." Well, I'm sure that's not true, and there's a way, I just have to find it. I really want to get rid of all the junk apps Google vomited onto my tablet when it was made. There has to be a way.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:43 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,632,361 times
Most of the rooting I've done has to take place from outside the device.

You might look into this link: [GUIDE] Root Acer Iconia Tab 8 - A1-840FHD |… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

Old 05-12-2015, 01:14 PM

16,455 posts, read 19,476,825 times
You should be able to simply disable most of them.

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2154...t-rooting.html

Old 05-12-2015, 02:44 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,341,017 times
I wouldn't recommend rooting for a novice, and, no offense, not knowing how to run apks from non-Google sources and the the phrase "junk apps Google vomited onto my tablet" give you away as a novice. There might be bloatware on your device but it's put there by the tablet manufacturer, not Google. Rooting your device and disabling various Google services can result in an unusable device.

A bigger issue is that rooting can brick your device if you don't know what you're doing. As a safer alternative, do what Peregrine suggests. Go into application preferences and disable the apps you don't use.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I wouldn't recommend rooting for a novice, and, no offense, not knowing how to run apks from non-Google sources and the the phrase "junk apps Google vomited onto my tablet" give you away as a novice. There might be bloatware on your device but it's put there by the tablet manufacturer, not Google. Rooting your device and disabling various Google services can result in an unusable device.

A bigger issue is that rooting can brick your device if you don't know what you're doing. As a safer alternative, do what Peregrine suggests. Go into application preferences and disable the apps you don't use.
Oh I'll totally cop to being a novice, this is my very first Android device. I just don't want all those pre-installed apps on it, as they are of no use or interest to me and they clutter up the device and screens taking up storage I'd rather use for other things. They have made it very hard to get rid of that crap, which I really don't like. I paid for this device, and I intend to use it as I please, not as pleases them. So if anyone knows how to get rid of that pre-installed garbage I'd love to hear from you.

It's MY device, not theirs, I paid for it, and what's on it is my call, not theirs.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:52 AM

I found an app called App Master, that said it would allow me to remove the pre-installed bloatware, but when I installed it I found it would not, and would only get rid of the apps I chose to install, plus it had a glaring obnoxious ad at the top of the screen flashing constantly at me that I could not get rid of. I got rid of the app. That they have used my purchase of a device to shove their crap in my face and make it impossible to get rid of I find very offensive and I very much resent it.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:36 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,815,331 times
I don't own one of those. I have Insignia (Best Buy) and HKC tablets that I have rooted. If you are not having problems with running out of memory, don't root it. With the newer Android OSs, you can't move apps to SD card the way you could in the earlier Android versions. I can't remember exactly how I rooted mine, but Kingo Root and maybe one other were the only programs that would work. I installed the root software on the PC, teathered the tablet with the USB cord, and ran the root software. Kingo Root puts some Chinese app on there, which I had to replace with SuperSU and then delete that Chinese app. I still wonder about spyware, etc. but I don't use the tablets for anything other than Internet browsing and listening to radio, so snoops won't get anything interesting from me. I installed a program that spreads programs and data to the SD card, and that is what you have to use on Androids that don't offer move to SD.

Before rooting, I read everything that I could find online about how to root those particular models and what apps to install. Also, how to partition and format the SD card so that the Android OS could park data on it.

How To Root Acer Iconia Tab 8 A1 840fhd [Tutorial] how to root yours, and there are other things online to read about your model. Kingo Root, and Towel Root are two that owners of obscure Chinese tablets have to resort to.

eta: Bluetooth keyboards -- I got a small iHome Bluetooth kybd at Ollie's discount store for only $10. It's larger than those tablet case keyboards, and smaller than a small footprint desktop keyboard. Kinda netbook size, maybe. Works for my purposes. I think it says for iPad on the box, but it has worked fine on Android tablets and also my desktop and laptop Windows machines. I don't have any Apple hardware. It might be this ( actually have 2 of them and they both work, lol, after reading those reviews): http://www.amazon.com/iHome-Bluetoot.../dp/B004YIZXEC

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 05-13-2015 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 11:49 AM

Well I have a bluetooth keyboard on order and due to arrive today, so I'm eager to see how that works. Assuming it works well enough my next project for my tablet is to see if I can find a way to connect to my home computer with it remotely from a WiFi spot. That would be pretty cool, especially if I could access the 9tb of video I have at home remotely.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:13 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,632,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Assuming it works well enough my next project for my tablet is to see if I can find a way to connect to my home computer with it remotely from a WiFi spot. That would be pretty cool, especially if I could access the 9tb of video I have at home remotely.
Plex Server will handle this nicely with a bit of setup.

https://plex.tv/

The server component is free, and the Android app is a few $$ but oh so worth it IMO.

If you watch the Amazon app store, it generally ends up on the free list every few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets