U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 01:14 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Sure, and that's why I mentioned the wattage, but the cables are notorious for failing. I mean, it could be the charger, or the cable, or the battery, or the software, or even the outlet, but chargers aren't known for failing and there isn't anything special about the Apple charger.
Apple devices are pretty picky when it comes to their bricks and if it's not putting out 5.1v (+/- whatever variance) then it's not going to charge. The only way for the OP to test their adapter is to try it on another device that requires 2.1 to charge. We have iPads and iPods (back to ver 1), and we have only replaced adapters and not a single cable. We even have a iPad 1 still in use. It's battery is finally starting to go after all these years (does charge up, but doesn't last more than four hours). With our Android/Microsoft devices we have replaced adapters, cables, software lockups and thus resets and battery death. So with nearly 15 years of owning these devices I'd still go with the adapter being bad.

Quote:
Monoprice and Anker start at $8-$12 with an 18 month and lifetime warranty, respectively.
Saving the few dollars isn't really worth it. Plus the OP can walk into any retailer that sells Apple devices and buy it today if need be.

Why waste the gas at nearly $3 a gallon to look for a generic to save money on the parts just to lose it on the gas? There is no gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 02:14 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,759,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Apple devices are pretty picky when it comes to their bricks and if it's not putting out 5.1v (+/- whatever variance) then it's not going to charge. The only way for the OP to test their adapter is to try it on another device that requires 2.1 to charge. We have iPads and iPods (back to ver 1), and we have only replaced adapters and not a single cable. We even have a iPad 1 still in use. It's battery is finally starting to go after all these years (does charge up, but doesn't last more than four hours). With our Android/Microsoft devices we have replaced adapters, cables, software lockups and thus resets and battery death. So with nearly 15 years of owning these devices I'd still go with the adapter being bad.
That's nice and all, but lightning cables are notorious for having problems.

Quote:
Saving the few dollars isn't really worth it. Plus the OP can walk into any retailer that sells Apple devices and buy it today if need be.

Why waste the gas at nearly $3 a gallon to look for a generic to save money on the parts just to lose it on the gas? There is no gain.
It's not really just saving a few bucks when the warranty and quality exceeds OEM. 5 years? 10 years? Just call them up and have it replaced. With Apple you won't have that option.

Monoprice and Anker are licensed 3rd party manufacturers with MiFi certification, so they aren't really generic in the traditional sense.

Or, if the OP wants something nearly indestructible there's this, but there's no reason to spend that much just testing a cable.

https://deals.iphonehacks.com/sales/...ee-us-shipping

Old 07-22-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:

It's not really just saving a few bucks when the warranty and quality exceeds OEM. 5 years? 10 years? Just call them up and have it replaced. With Apple you won't have that option.

Who cares about warranty when you include the lose of paying for shipping it in for warranty coverage? In the end your adapter will cost more over it's life than paying a little more upfront and not caring. You may not look at the hidden costs, but I do.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Who cares about warranty when you include the lose of paying for shipping it in for warranty coverage?
Why would you have to pay for shipping? Belkin surge protectors come with a lifetime warranty and they just sent me a new product when I had to file a claim.

Quote:
In the end your adapter will cost more over it's life than paying a little more upfront and not caring. You may not look at the hidden costs, but I do.
Let's be real, shipping, even if you had to pay for it, is less than buying a new lightening cable from Apple. Let's say shipping costs $1.50 and you do have to pay for it. You would have to have to 5-6 warranty claims before you even break even with buying just 1 cable from the Apple store, but by the time you had 5-6 warranty claims you likely would have already replaced the Apple cable at least once. In all likelihood, you will lose the cables I mentioned or Apple will change the port before you ever have a warranty claim. With Apple cables, well, you can expect to replace those at least once.

Amazon.com: Monoprice Apple Certified Zinc-Alloy Lightning to USB Charge & Sync Cable for iPhone, 3ft White: Cell Phones & Accessories

If I was dead set on paying $22 for a cable I would get this one (just saw it somewhere for $24) before I would buy another original.

http://www.amazon.com/Fuse-Chicken-T...ightning+cable

Old 07-22-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Why would you have to pay for shipping? Belkin surge protectors come with a lifetime warranty and they just sent me a new product when I had to file a claim.

Let's be real, shipping, even if you had to pay for it, is less than buying a new lightening cable from Apple. Let's say shipping costs $1.50 and you do have to pay for it. You would have to have to 5-6 warranty claims before you even break even with buying just 1 cable from the Apple store, but by the time you had 5-6 warranty claims you likely would have already replaced the Apple cable at least once. In all likelihood, you will lose the cables I mentioned or Apple will change the port before you ever have a warranty claim. With Apple cables, well, you can expect to replace those at least once.

Amazon.com: Monoprice Apple Certified Zinc-Alloy Lightning to USB Charge & Sync Cable for iPhone, 3ft White: Cell Phones & Accessories

If I was dead set on paying $22 for a cable I would get this one (just saw it somewhere for $24) before I would buy another original.

http://www.amazon.com/Fuse-Chicken-T...ightning+cable
Fine. You have time to kill in order to go through that entire process to save a few dollars, then that's your choice. Mine is to resolve the situation preferably in the same day and deal with other things that are more important. We're talking about consumables here and not the technology they're used in.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Fine. You have time to kill in order to go through that entire process to save a few dollars, then that's your choice. Mine is to resolve the situation preferably in the same day and deal with other things that are more important. We're talking about consumables here and not the technology they're used in.
I'm far from frugal, but I do care about quality and I'm willing to spend 5 minutes ordering a higher quality cable. Saving money is an ancillary benefit.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:08 PM

13,317 posts, read 20,368,637 times
What is a lightening cable? Does it make my iPad lighter? That would be a plus. I noticed a post or two mentioning them and I'm just curious about them.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What is a lightning cable? Does it make my iPad lighter? That would be a plus. I noticed a post or two mentioning them and I'm just curious about them.
Different connector to device.

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Certifi...ng+Cable+apple

Old 07-22-2015, 08:29 PM

13,317 posts, read 20,368,637 times
Quote:
That says "Lightning" cable, not "Lightening".

Old 07-22-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That says "Lightning" cable, not "Lightening".
Bwahaha. Typo. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or