U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:06 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,831,465 times

Advertisements

All the talk about lightning/MIFI cables is all well and good, but I did not see a single mention from the OP about whether they have a lightning or the older 30-pin cable. I'm just saying.... before we all rush to recommend an alternate cable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 01:30 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,366,687 times
This thread caught my attention because once (just once), while plugged into the charger, my battery suddenly plunged from abut 50% down to 1% and shut off, in about five seconds. I turned it off and it recharged normally, but the plug in charger element got very, very hot. I was using a converter bar to charge a USA 5v device on Europe 240. After that experience, I never used the tablet while plugged in, and never had another charging problem.

The directions with my converter imply (but don't actually state) that I can use a 240 European charger connected by USB/miniUSB cable direct to my tablet, without harm, and the tablet is designed to tolerate that. Is that so? Can I go through USB direct from 240 wall to 5v tablet without an intermediate converter? The device label does not give a range, it just says Input: 5v--1.5A.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:23 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,671,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This thread caught my attention because once (just once), while plugged into the charger, my battery suddenly plunged from abut 50% down to 1% and shut off, in about five seconds. I turned it off and it recharged normally, but the plug in charger element got very, very hot. I was using a converter bar to charge a USA 5v device on Europe 240. After that experience, I never used the tablet while plugged in, and never had another charging problem.

The directions with my converter imply (but don't actually state) that I can use a 240 European charger connected by USB/miniUSB cable direct to my tablet, without harm, and the tablet is designed to tolerate that. Is that so? Can I go through USB direct from 240 wall to 5v tablet without an intermediate converter? The device label does not give a range, it just says Input: 5v--1.5A.
All my adapters say 100-240v & 50/60 cycle. so the only thing I carry extra are the tips to plug into EU sockets. The adapters automatically adjust thus there is no reason to add a convertor to it.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:58 PM

OK, in Europe I saw a simple plug that fits into a EU socket (2 round prongs), with a slot to insert a USB into it. Five bucks. No voltage output information printed on the label. Would it be safe to use that, connect it by the USB/miniUSB to my tablet, and just plug it into a EU wall that delivers 240? What label information printed on my tablet would warn me if that would not be safe?

Old 08-08-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
OK, in Europe I saw a simple plug that fits into a EU socket (2 round prongs), with a slot to insert a USB into it. Five bucks. No voltage output information printed on the label. Would it be safe to use that, connect it by the USB/miniUSB to my tablet, and just plug it into a EU wall that delivers 240? What label information printed on my tablet would warn me if that would not be safe?
It usually won't be found on the tablet. You have to look up the specs in its manual. If it's a name brand tablet it's usually DC5V. You have to be careful of these off brand tablets as I was gifted one last winter and it was a DC12V. It didn't even make it to my re-gift pile. It went to the dump.

As to the DC adapters, one has to be careful as some of these knockoffs can be dangerous. Look for ones that have their specs imprinted onto the adapter itself that state DC5V/2.1a (2100ma) and purchase it from a name brand shop.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:21 PM

The manual says:

Adapter input: AC 100-240v, 50-60 Hz
Adapter output: DC 5v -- 1.5A

Does that mean I can use a EU charger in a 240v EU wall outlet with the provided USB/miniUSB connector?

It would seem like frying/not frying a piece of electronic equipment would be relevant enough for the manufacturers to pass along a little bit of intelligible guidance..

Old 08-11-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
The manual says:

Does that mean I can use a EU charger in a 240v EU wall outlet with the provided USB/miniUSB connector?

It would seem like frying/not frying a piece of electronic equipment would be relevant enough for the manufacturers to pass along a little bit of intelligible guidance..
Yes.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:34 AM

13,317 posts, read 20,365,611 times
Quote:
The manual says:

You can use it in Europe. I did with an iPad with a European adapter on the Apple AC adapter and it worked perfectly. The input numbers above say that it should work with yours.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You can use it in Europe. I did with an iPad with a European adapter on the Apple AC adapter and it worked perfectly. The input numbers above say that it should work with yours.
Thanks. I actually bought one there for $5 but was chicken to use it, and gave it to another traveler in a hostel. Now I guess I'll buy another one. Just found one on ebay for 3.48 shipped. Ordering things for 3.48 is fun, I could get off on that. What else might I need?

Last edited by jtur88; 08-12-2015 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 10:24 AM

13,317 posts, read 20,365,611 times
Quote:
Thanks. I actually bought one there for $5 but was chicken to use it, and gave it to another traveler in a hostel. Now I guess I'll buy another one. Just found one on ebay for 3.48 shipped. Ordering things for 3.48 is fun, I could get off on that. What else might I need?
Other than the plug adapters, nothing. You should be all set. The only thing I can think of is that with the adapters on, the AC adapter will seem like it will fall out because the body of the AC adapter usually rest against the wall. With a European adapter, the weight of the adapter will pull down on it. That wasn't a problem with Apple adapters, but could be for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or