Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 12:57 PM

50,467 posts, read 24,044,107 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of buying a Kindle.

But here's my question:

If I buy a Kindle book, does it get downloaded to my Kindle, or is it in the the cloud?

I ask, because if I were somewhere without wifi and wanted to read my Kindle book, could I still do it.

(I know...gawd he must be dumb about technology!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 01:00 PM

4,869 posts, read 4,166,243 times
The answer is...both!

The book will be in your cloud, but it will be on your device as well. If you are without wifi, you can read the book.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:13 PM

8,392 posts, read 7,354,917 times
The way that a Kindle (or Kindle app) works is that all of your books are stored in the Amazon cloud, but some are also stored on your Kindle. These locally stored books are the ones that you downloaded from the cloud to read. Your Kindle will remove local copies of "stale" books whenever it needs to make room for a new book that you want to read.

If you begin reading a new book while within WiFi range, the Kindle will notify you that it is downloading the new book from the cloud and will let you know when the book is downloaded and ready to read. At that point, you can read the book from the local copy on your Kindle. You can even stop using your Kindle, go someplace well out of WiFi range, and then resume reading, because the local copy will remain on your device.

If, like me, you want to access your cloud library or the Amazon book store when outside of WiFi range, you can buy a Kindle that has free 3G WhisperSync. This service runs on the local cell phone networks and has no usage fees. The downside is that it adds about $100 to the price of the Kindle and if you leave it on permanently it will drain your battery faster. I usually keep my Kindle in 'airplane' mode - this turns off the 3G and WiFi service, which save battery life, but still allows me to read the locally stored books. Whenever I want to sync my Kindle, or to access my cloud library or the Amazon store, I turn airplane mode off, wait a minute or so for a 3G or WiFi connection, grab my book from the cloud or from the store, and then turn airplane mode back on to save on battery charge.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 AM

16,503 posts, read 19,575,896 times
Personally I think the 3G Kindle is overkill. Do what you need on your home WiFi.... it's not as if the Kindle can only hold 10 books. No, it can hold 100's.

Different strokes, though.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:00 AM

4,869 posts, read 4,166,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Personally I think the 3G Kindle is overkill. Do what you need on your home WiFi.... it's not as if the Kindle can only hold 10 books. No, it can hold 100's.

Different strokes, though.

I kinda thought the same. If Kindle removes older books to make room for newer ones, you would likely get into the multiple hundreds of books.

I have two kindles, one old "first gen" one that really is strictly a reader, and the new fire. While I generally don't read books on the fire, I can switch between the two easily and the home wifi connection keeps them synched with me hardly noticing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets