Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 04:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

Hi all. So since I came here asking for advice I thought I would return with an update.

I bought the Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet a couple of months ago. It has the good and the bad as people here had suggested. I really like it for reading books at home but still use my Kindle when I go somewhere because I can fit that in my purse. It's great for watching videos, TV etc but sometimes stops and buffers. I don't know if it my Fire or my Wi-Fi though. The picture is amazing. I have no problems with the browser, Silk, but I do intend to download GOOGLE Play so I can have my Chrome eventually.

It comes with an app for Gmail which I use along with Comcast email. I've downloaded a few apps I wanted with no problem. Of course the ads are always there. I don't mind the one that greets you when you open it but there are a lot on the user's page to get through. You just have to scroll a bit.

I guess my biggest gripe would be that the keyboard is not all that user friendly. I do better typing on my Iphone but I'm getting used to it.

All in all, it serves the purpose of letting me know as to whether or not I really wanted or need one of these things. If I do upgrade some day and I most likely will, this still makes a great e-reader if nothing else and was definitely worth the low cost.

So thanks to everyone for all the great advice. I really took it all in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 09:18 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Hi all. So since I came here asking for advice I thought I would return with an update.

I bought the Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet a couple of months ago. It has the good and the bad as people here had suggested. I really like it for reading books at home but still use my Kindle when I go somewhere because I can fit that in my purse. It's great for watching videos, TV etc but sometimes stops and buffers. I don't know if it my Fire or my Wi-Fi though. The picture is amazing. I have no problems with the browser, Silk, but I do intend to download GOOGLE Play so I can have my Chrome eventually.

It comes with an app for Gmail which I use along with Comcast email. I've downloaded a few apps I wanted with no problem. Of course the ads are always there. I don't mind the one that greets you when you open it but there are a lot on the user's page to get through. You just have to scroll a bit.

I guess my biggest gripe would be that the keyboard is not all that user friendly. I do better typing on my Iphone but I'm getting used to it.

All in all, it serves the purpose of letting me know as to whether or not I really wanted or need one of these things. If I do upgrade some day and I most likely will, this still makes a great e-reader if nothing else and was definitely worth the low cost.

So thanks to everyone for all the great advice. I really took it all in.
You may be able to replace the stock keyboard, not sure about the Fire tablet but may be worth looking into.

Also, don't forget that you can actually hook up a BT physical keyboard and/or mouse to most tablets.

Last edited by gguerra; 08-06-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 09:26 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
One thing Apple is the best at is that damn keyboard. Amazing no one has a better one still.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:17 AM

566 posts, read 503,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Samsung Tab A 10.1 right now at Best Buy or Amazon is $229

Best Buy
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
go for 32gb for $149.99 instead.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=5852813

Old 08-06-2018, 10:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
It's not just price but quality you have to look at. For that matter, you could get a $69 tablet at Walmart. You probably wouldn't be very happy with it, maybe who knows? It depends what you want it for. I do know you get what you pay for.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Vikin...&wl13=&veh=sem

I doubt the Samsung is still at $229. Prices change all the time.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:28 PM

566 posts, read 503,730 times
Quote:
It's not just price but quality you have to look at. For that matter, you could get a $69 tablet at Walmart. You probably wouldn't be very happy with it, maybe who knows? It depends what you want it for. I do know you get what you pay for.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Vikin...&wl13=&veh=sem

I doubt the Samsung is still at $229. Prices change all the time.
RCA has a 4.5 rating by 895 users. Not too bad.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
You may be able to replace the stock keyboard, not sure about the Fire tablet but may be worth looking into.

Also, don't forget that you can actually hook up a BT physical keyboard and/or mouse to most tablets.
Yes they do offer this for the Fire tablet.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:30 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
I bought an iPad for work, for the convenience of helping me do my job out on various job sites all day. Meanwhile when home, I’ve always used my laptop and desktop exclusively and gradually started using my iPad because it was more mobile and lighter than my laptop.

Bottom line is that for the last 5 years I have been using my iPad for everything! It works line a charm and has never given me any problem whatsoever. It might cost more than the other tablets, however it is a quality device, intuitive and just a great device!

Old 08-12-2018, 07:53 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I bought an iPad for work, for the convenience of helping me do my job out on various job sites all day. Meanwhile when home, I’ve always used my laptop and desktop exclusively and gradually started using my iPad because it was more mobile and lighter than my laptop.

Bottom line is that for the last 5 years I have been using my iPad for everything! It works line a charm and has never given me any problem whatsoever. It might cost more than the other tablets, however it is a quality device, intuitive and just a great device!

Isn't it hard to type on it?

Old 08-14-2018, 08:12 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Isn't it hard to type on it?
Ok, good question. The wife writes more than I do and she is a very quick typist so she went for a keyboard case and loves it. By the way, she was always a desktop person and now has her iPad with her constantly.

Meanwhile I can’t type, don’t write as much as she does and I feel feel like I’m pretty fast on the iPad keyboard. Does it take a little getting use to, yes but it happens and I love it. I also have a case that works great and is comfortable when I’m on the couch and watching TV, like right this very minute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets