U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 04:51 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,639,404 times

Advertisements

Anyone have either of these?

I am trying to decide which to ask Santa for but have a questions.

The kindle has better reviews generally, but major complaints about the page turning function, bars along either side of the device which are apparently easy to accidentally hit. It is currently priced at $359.

The Sony Reader is available for $259, a good savings, but doesn't have the same kind of internet access (I think?), and I have read many horrible reviews of their customer service. Also, I am trying to figure out how much their books are but can't figure out where you order them from. Supposedly you get 100 free books with the device, which at $10 plus per book seems to pay for itself, if in fact the selection is good. But I'd really like to browse what they have available and see the prices.

Anyone used either? I have read some of the reviews of both on Amazon but it is difficult to wade through them as there are too many and I cannot ask the reviewer questions, so I'd rather get some input from someone here!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 05:23 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
None of the above for me. I'd rather read a paperback any day, even if I pay more.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,634,159 times
Supposedly there is a new, cheaper model of Kindle due out early next year. Other companies are said to have their versions in the works. IMO, these are bound to get cheaper over time. I'm holding out for a sub-$100 model.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:41 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,639,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Supposedly there is a new, cheaper model of Kindle due out early next year. Other companies are said to have their versions in the works. IMO, these are bound to get cheaper over time. I'm holding out for a sub-$100 model.
That is fantastic news. Really, I am glad you posted the link. I bet they will get cheaper, but I don't want to wait much longer for one. However, if there is a newer model coming out in the next few months, that corrects the user problems of the first, that will definitely be worth waiting for.

I don't see the sense of paying $350 now for the old one.

I wonder what the price range of the new Kindle is going to be. (Frankly, I don't want to pay much more than $350, that is the absolute max.)

I am really hoping for information on this Sony reader, if it really comes with 100 books even if I just read the 100 books I've got my money's worth out of the thing. (hey, 2.59 per book is cheap)

Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,106,650 times
Dh would really like one but I will wait for the price to drop...probably by Dec. 26th they will be much cheaper...LOL He knows some people who have a Kendall and absolutely love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
None of the above for me. I'd rather read a paperback any day, even if I pay more.
Dh would also rather read a 'real' book but he also is a frequent traveler and carrying multiple paperbacks takes up a lot of space (he can read a book a day while on the road, especially if the hotel has lousy cable...LOL).

Old 12-06-2008, 08:46 AM

750 posts, read 1,279,271 times
I don't see it as an "either-or" situation. You can still read actual books. You can also download stuff to your Kindle. I have a Kindle and love it. Most of the books I have downloaded were, in fact, free (some offered free by Amazon, some from other sites like Gutenberg). New best-sellers cost an average of $9.99 (compared to average $25.00 at the bookstore), but, as mentioned, there are many sites offering free books. In addition to the books currently on my Kindle, I get a magazine and a couple of daily blogs.

It's handy, lightweight, fits easily in my handbag, and has all sorts of wonderful features. The thing that I really love, and what convinced me to buy it, is the adjustable font size. I have some difficulties with low vision and find many books, especially recent paperbacks, are being printed in tiny type with a sort of grey (rather than black) ink, presumably cheaper to produce. Unfortunately, that's not enough contrast for my sore eyes. I can download the same book to the Kindle, increase the text size, and read in comfort. In addition, the Kindle screen does not light up, so there isn't the eye-strain I get from reading a PC screen.

I also still read "real" books, and trade them with friends and family. At any given moment, I've got a "real" book in progress, along with one or two on the Kindle.

Julia

Old 04-25-2011, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,615 times
Overall, the new Kindle swung me back on to the side of e-readers in this never-ending debate about multifunction (think iPad) vs. mostly single function devices (e-readers). The latest Kindle (in white and graphite) is a handy extra gadget to carry around. For me, the e-reader vs. iPad debate doesn’t necessarily apply since it’s not a zero sum affair. There will be iPad/Kindle households depending on the family. Simply put, I’m looking to consolidate devices, but I’m also looking to consolidate paper.

-------------
[URL="http://www.zdnet.com/"]kendle review[/URL]

Old 04-25-2011, 12:35 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,972,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I, too, held out until the ipad went down in price so I could buy a ipad 1 for cheap as a refurb. Now I'm waiting on the Kindle to drop some more in price (about Christmas time I figure) so I can buy one of them too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or