Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:49 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,782 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I want to buy a drawing tablet to use with both Corel and Photoshop

I know nothing about them, I want to use them to sketch/draw with the above programs. I will use for renderings/ sketches/ architecture type
images (not photography)

Anyone have any good brands/info/suggestions/pricing/good sizes etc

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:23 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,660,900 times
Wacom.
WTC Wacom Technology Home Page
That's the gold standard. They aren't cheap but are very good and come with lots of helpful software and are super sturdy and long lasting. Support from Wacom is excellent.
The Intuos line with the easy-grip pen is wonderful but expensive. Get one if you can afford it. Just don't buy too big unless you've got a huge computer desk. You can customize it to do amazing things with Photoshop and Corel, like making a line wider/narrower depending on pressure on the tablet.
The Bamboo line is also very good but less expensive and with less sensitivity and customizing options. You can find it on sale.
Check out the outlet on Wacom's site for refurbished products. Those can be a really good deal.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:53 PM

thanks!!

yeah WTC look badass but way to expensive the bamboo ones dont look big enough, I want a large one but can only spend around 400

Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 PM

is this a good one? Bamboo Pen & Touch

Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 PM

You don't need it as big as you think. You can set an area of the tablet to match the screen, point to point. The big tablets put a lot of strain on your arm.
The 6X9 is big enough for most applications.
After you've been using it for awhile, you quit looking at the tablet and just use the monitor screen. The tablet will seem a lot bigger then.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:51 PM

so if your used to sketching on pads that are 11 x 14 will the tablet seem wierd and tiny?

Old 12-30-2009, 02:30 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
I'm a Creative/Art Director. One of my biggest issues is that I am naturally left handed, but I right handed while using a mouse. I bought a Wacom Bamboo (less than $90) to see if I would like a tablet and to see if there is an difference when working left handed there is and I feel more comfortable doing tight work in a left handed mode.

I'll admit it takes a bit to get used to. I use it essentially for photoshop but have started using it for Flash and Illustrator. There are also some free applications. In addition to GIMP I like (tabletdraw and pencil that allow you to do some cool work

6x9 is more than adequate for most designers

Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times
With Windows 7 trying to push you to upgrade sooner or later, make sure that whatever you buy does NOT become a dinosaur after you upgrade to win 7 ....
Come to think of it, if you do think of upgrading your OS, also take a look at your programmes.
Even they may not work with win 7 ...

I work with CAD, and my CAD programme does not work with Win 7 and the same with my tablet ...
Oh well ....

Old 12-30-2009, 03:51 PM

thanks for the info!

i am running vista 32.....how can they make you upgrade if you dont buy a new computer? or need to load a new operating system again.......i just went through all of that BS with vista, i had to upgrade to CAD 09 and CS4 b.c i had old versions that would not work with vista........its all a big scam!!!!!!!! i swear software companies pay microsoft to come out with new, incompatable operating systems to make people upgrade

as soon as you can efficiently run CAD on a MAC I am switching!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2009, 05:07 PM

Wacom already has drivers out for Windows 7 and they support all their tablets with new drivers -- even the really old ones that use a serial port!
Also have drivers for Mac OS's and have open source Linux drivers available and in development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets