U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-24-2010, 10:48 PM

40 posts, read 51,097 times
I think we need to look at the broader picture here.

What is Apple's track record on making their mark with new technology and turning products into a household name.

• The ipod is probably the most recognizable and widely owned mp3 player on the market
  • The iphone is the most unique, versatile and sought-after phone on the market
Personally, I am not a big endorser of Apple products.

• I don't own a Mac, I own several PC's
  • I don't own an ipod, I own Sansa mp3 players
  • I don't own an iphone, I own a blackberry
I didn't even think I would be remotely interested in an ipad, but I wanted to look at it objectively and learn more about it...see what the device is actually capable of.

This page pretty much summed it up for me:
iPad Features (http://www.ipadaccessoriesonlinestore.com/what-can-the-ipad-do/ - broken link)

After I read this I am now heavily leaning toward converting my next laptop purchase into an ipad purchase.

I have to say I am amazed at what it is capable of, and just how darn cool the thing is.

If anyone can honestly read that and make any strong opposing arguments I'm willing to listen, but as far as I'm concerned I will be an ipad owner within the next month or two.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 06:39 AM

4,282 posts, read 6,967,719 times
For 90% of my home computing, I have been using the iPad nearly exclusively for the past three weeks.
It is hands down a better casual computing/media consumption device than my recently sold MacBook Pro.
It is not really about the device, but about the apps.
The iPad is simply a vessel.

Obviously, I still have a full computer for media, and most creative work, but on the consuming end, the iPad is a whole new world. With normal settings (wifi, push email) I am getting a real word 11+ hours of battery life.

The iPad surely is not perfect, i do have a few niggles with it, but overall, IMHO, it is a stellar device.

You IT 'know-it-alls' will poop on this, but I thought it was cool. :thumbup:

Virginia Campbell, a 99-year-old woman from Lake Oswego, has finally bought her first computer -- an Apple iPad. "It's changed her life," one of her daughters told OregonLive.com. Virginia has been an avid reader most of her life, but she suffers from glaucoma, making reading increasingly difficult.

Because of the iPad's ability to adjust the brightness of the page and to increase the font by simply tapping, Virginia has been able to take up her beloved past-time again. Not only is she reading again, she's writing again too.

So far she has composed twelve limericks on her iPad, including this little ditty:

To this technical-ninny it's clear
In my compromised 100th year,
That to read and to write
Are again within sight
Of this Apple iPad pioneer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndkIP7ec3O8&

Here's to you and your technological wonder, Virginia.
Warms my heart.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:20 PM

202 posts, read 169,202 times
Two helpful articles if you are a new iPad owner who wants free apps:

The 25 Best Free iPad Games | Jim Lynch: Tech Analyst and Community Manager

The 25 Best Free iPad Apps | Jim Lynch: Tech Analyst and Community Manager
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets