Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 PM

9,480 posts, read 16,369,891 times

Advertisements

Make a trip out to the West Coast and visit the armpits of this coast Fresno and Bakersfield. After a few minutes in either one of these places, you will find Gainesville and Tally are paradise. You can live in either one and it won't matter because they are not Fresno or Bakersfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 AM

704 posts, read 1,271,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyPain View Post
Wow, I wish you could all see the advantages tally has over gainesville. There is so much more to do that its not even funny. Once again, I'm putting up Tally against Gainesville in the topic. Yet, Any city, I don't care what city it is, it's better then Gainesville.
Were you abused in Gainesville or something? To say any city is better than Gainesville (and I've seen some hell holes) sounds like there's an underlying issue that has tainted your worldview against Gainesville and it has nothing to do with UF.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 PM

96 posts, read 356,111 times
Wow, alright dude. As I said I'm over. If you love Gainesville I can't tell you whether or not to do so. Tallahassee will always be my favorite city in Florida. The hills, the people, it's just a wonderful place to be and live. Thats my last bit of input. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 AM

704 posts, read 1,271,408 times
It was just a question. The love/hate relationship I have for Gainesville is no better or worse than Tallahassee (where I currently reside).

It was just a question.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:04 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,032,374 times
Will everyone just tell TallyPain that TLH is the best city in the world so we can end this thread?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:33 AM

108 posts, read 352,369 times
One problem with Tallahassee: there is a very strong good old boys network here. If you are not from Tallahassee you will be treated with suspicion and will not get far in the looking for a job process. So far it seems that seeking out people who are not from Tallahassee originally is one's best hope.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:25 PM

852 posts, read 3,798,951 times
The cities are similar, but when dispassionate assessments are made, Gainesville seems to fare better: In the 2007 Places Rated edition, Gainesville was No. 1 and Tallahassee No. 122. In 2004, Gainesville was No. 56 and Tallahassee No. 249.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 PM

389 posts, read 1,224,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalleyster View Post
One problem with Tallahassee: there is a very strong good old boys network here. If you are not from Tallahassee you will be treated with suspicion and will not get far in the looking for a job process. So far it seems that seeking out people who are not from Tallahassee originally is one's best hope.
there are good old boy networks in a lot of places in FL, not just Tallahassee

Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 PM

105 posts, read 351,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winwahoo View Post
Hi! My wife and I are pondering a future move to Florida, from Ohio. She likes northern Florida better than the south, gardening, being outside. I like college towns, college football, microbrews, and riding my scooter. We both enjoy the arts, a "green" attitude towards things and an atmosphere that is, shall we say, "not overtly conservative". Which would we like better....Tallahassee or Gainesville? Thanks for any input!
Gainesville is flatter and more bicycle, moped, and pedestrian friendly. (Tallahassee is only beginning to discover sidewalks.)
Gainesville has better food (Burrito Brothers, etc.).
Gainesville has Krystals fast food. (Inexplicably, Tallahassee does not.)
Gator Orange and Blue is better than Seminole Lipstick and Jewelry Colors.
Gainesville has great antiqueing in Micanopy.
Gainesville is closer to the big city support of Jacksonville and Orlando.
Gainesville is further from a beach.
Gainesville has better hospitals.
Gainesville has a very nice state theatre.
Gainesville has a reputation of being a little cooler town.
The University of Florida has a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH nicer campus than FSU and FAMU combined.
Gainesville is slightly smaller.
(I'm a Gator, but have only visited G'ville intermittantly since college.)

Tallahassee has rolling hills and amazing live oak trees.
If you are an AVID outdoorsperson, Tallahassee is surrounded by national forest and is closer to fishing and kayaking opportunities around the gulf. St. Marks NWR is amazing.
Tallahassee is about 3 to 4 hours from any major city. It can be isolating.
Tallahassee is closer to the redneck riviera (Panama City, Destin & Pensacola)
Tallahassee has good thrift stores.
Tallahassee has a small but thriving arts community.
G'ville is 1 1/2 to 2 hours from major cities.
I believe there is more and nicer developments closer to Gainesville.
Gainesville may be easier to navigate around.
Tallahassee has made it's downtown a haven for homeless with many shelters and a bus station. There is also a nearby ghetto.
Both cities have relatively stable job markets, but there may be more state gov't and state associated jobs in Tallahassee.
We've been absolutely miserable for a year in Tallahassee due to severe bug problems and a lack of economic opportunity.

Last edited by GatorDude; 10-11-2010 at 10:09 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 03:38 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,061,013 times
I like Tally over Gainesville, but not in love with either city/town. Both are oppressively hot in summer, but probably a little less congested. Tally has more of a winter feel in the cooler months. I think both are very college town in their feel. I think both need a real good clean up and neither of them, like most of Florida know what green is. I am assuming the orig poster meant eco rather than forested. But if not, then Tally is greener.
Tally has more of a downtown, due to govt and state buildings, but that can be dead at night and when all the lawmakers are gone. Higher crime I would say in Tally over Gainesville.
I don't think either can claim to having a major cultural center but both have good arts and events due to the nature of being a large college town with lots of young and energetic people. Though Tally may edge it with it's arts and circus programs. Both have very diverse and liberal minded (younger) populations, but both carry the ole southern attitude too. Go far outside both and you are in the sticks. The poster's wife is more likely to love the gardening in Tallahassee, where it is possible to make a northern looking garden, there are lots of flowers that will work in Tally that dont get enough of a winter to work in Gainesville. If you don't like hills, Gainesville is better, if you do, then the scenery around Tallahassee is much prettier. Tallahassee is a heck of a drive from anywhere, Gainesville gets you to major urban areas of Fl much quicker, but if you don't care about that, it's pretty irrelevent. I can't comment on air connections to Gainesville (is there an airport - sorry to sound stupid) but Tallahassee does at least have one, but connections can be tricky and it's not cheap to fly in and out at this time. Although there are pretty large populations in both, dining out is short on choices - one or two - but nothing like Dade/Broward Tampa/St Pete or Jax
Both student populations are marvellous, they are great schools and currently seem pretty equal in football successes - but then it's early in the season - before I am pounced on by tender gators
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee