Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 07:12 AM

729 posts, read 1,299,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Nor have they ever, that's what makes it so nice. I am seeing multiple threads though where every single newcomer is being advised to "stay North of I-10 for safety."

I guess I'm not going to get an honest answer here, but I would seriously like to know what everyone is so scared of?
Here's your honest answer. The "likelyhood" of major crime happening north of I-10 drastically decreases and everyone familiar with Tallahassee knows it. If you steer a newcomer to an area known for crime, the perception that Tallahassee is a great place to live will change in the eyes of all outsiders. I have lived in other places during my 40 years on earth (Lakeland(FL), Tallahassee, Chicago, & currently Atlanta). Tallahassee is last on that list in terms of crime and I've never felt threatened during my time there.

I lived in Tallahassee as a student 1994-1999, then a professional 2001-2014. There aren't too many areas that I would advise against but if you want quiet suburban living, stay north of I-10 where the economic demographics are some of the best in Leon County. If one wants to be closer to the city, look at the midtown area. I lived there for a few years on 7th avenue between Miccosukee Rd and Thomasville road (across from the Ronald McDonald house) and it was the best of both worlds. I was close to downtown amenities and virtually anywhere else in the city from that centralized location. Crime in that area was minimal AT BEST.

My experience with being a victim of crime ALWAYS occurred on the westside near TCC.

During my junior and senior years in college, I lived in a complex named "The Plaza" on West Brevard Street. Luckily, I never had any problems there either but was well aware that the area had potential for things to happen. What people need to understand is that the colleges in Tallahassee have 2 strikes. The first strike is that it's a college. Colleges students are targets for crime and that means that every year, Tallahassee has virtually 80,000+ soft targets, or potential victims of minor crime.

The second strike and what makes #1 worse is that FSU, FAMU and TCC (to a lessor extent) are surrounded by areas known for criminal activity. South City runs north right into FAMU. FAMU and FSU are separated by a rail crossing and Gaines st and FSU borders Frenchtown to the north. Put those two together and what happens is some poor student getting robbed, stabbed, raped, abducted, shot or killed. It happens.

Outside of that, locals know where to go and where to stay away from. Does that mean that there are no desirable areas within Capital Circle? Of course not! There are very nice areas in the city that have old charm in established neighborhoods that are perfectly safe and virtually quiet if you can find them and if the price is right. However, the easier bet is usually outside of Capital Circle, most notably the northeast area up Thomasville Rd. That's why I-10 is synonymous with safety in Tallahassee.

I may retire to Tallahassee one day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 08:44 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
Here's your honest answer. The "likelyhood" of major crime happening north of I-10 drastically decreases and everyone familiar with Tallahassee knows it. If you steer a newcomer to an area known for crime, the perception that Tallahassee is a great place to live will change in the eyes of all outsiders. I have lived in other places during my 40 years on earth (Lakeland(FL), Tallahassee, Chicago, & currently Atlanta). Tallahassee is last on that list in terms of crime and I've never felt threatened during my time there.

I lived in Tallahassee as a student 1994-1999, then a professional 2001-2014. There aren't too many areas that I would advise against but if you want quiet suburban living, stay north of I-10 where the economic demographics are some of the best in Leon County. If one wants to be closer to the city, look at the midtown area. I lived there for a few years on 7th avenue between Miccosukee Rd and Thomasville road (across from the Ronald McDonald house) and it was the best of both worlds. I was close to downtown amenities and virtually anywhere else in the city from that centralized location. Crime in that area was minimal AT BEST.

My experience with being a victim of crime ALWAYS occurred on the westside near TCC.

During my junior and senior years in college, I lived in a complex named "The Plaza" on West Brevard Street. Luckily, I never had any problems there either but was well aware that the area had potential for things to happen. What people need to understand is that the colleges in Tallahassee have 2 strikes. The first strike is that it's a college. Colleges students are targets for crime and that means that every year, Tallahassee has virtually 80,000+ soft targets, or potential victims of minor crime.

The second strike and what makes #1 worse is that FSU, FAMU and TCC (to a lessor extent) are surrounded by areas known for criminal activity. South City runs north right into FAMU. FAMU and FSU are separated by a rail crossing and Gaines st and FSU borders Frenchtown to the north. Put those two together and what happens is some poor student getting robbed, stabbed, raped, abducted, shot or killed. It happens.

Outside of that, locals know where to go and where to stay away from. Does that mean that there are no desirable areas within Capital Circle? Of course not! There are very nice areas in the city that have old charm in established neighborhoods that are perfectly safe and virtually quiet if you can find them and if the price is right. However, the easier bet is usually outside of Capital Circle, most notably the northeast area up Thomasville Rd. That's why I-10 is synonymous with safety in Tallahassee.

I may retire to Tallahassee one day!
Thank you, HeartofFlorida! I really appreciate the detailed answer.

We lived in Indian Head Acres, and it was a safe and stable middle class area of town then. Granted, this was years ago (way before Governors Square) - but I have been back many times since, and things seemed just fine.

I do remember how shocked I was at the unbelievable distance up 319 development is now, I guess this explains it. The building of Killearn Estates way back in the 60's started this...I guess I-10 just sealed the deal.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:21 AM

729 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Thank you, HeartofFlorida! I really appreciate the detailed answer.

We lived in Indian Head Acres, and it was a safe and stable middle class area of town then. Granted, this was years ago (way before Governors Square) - but I have been back many times since, and things seemed just fine.

I do remember how shocked I was at the unbelievable distance up 319 development is now, I guess this explains it. The building of Killearn Estates way back in the 60's started this...I guess I-10 just sealed the deal.
You're welcome.

I remember when 319 was a 2-lane canopy road to Georgia. The maturation of Killearn has really changed the landscape of that area and the infrastructure that accompanied it.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:54 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitalive305 View Post
Doing some research for my mom because she's concerned about my little bro going off to college there. I figured that Tallahassee would probably be safer than Miami...I mean we live in Kendall so the crime isn't all that bad, but I guess she's just worried. Any info would be helpful.
In general, FSU is very safe. The campus is ideal for ages 18-22. Your little brother would go into an elite college environment designed to maximize his potential. There are many intramural sports on campus and plenty of social life in a positive way. There are clubs, student organizations, study groups, etc. The key would be to avoid the campus debauchery and drunk driving that can occur on the streets near campus. There are cops hidden all along Tennessee Street. They are on the lookout. (Keep in mind I am considering the core audience here - a young teen about to enter college. For Generation X or older Millennials, I still feel Tallahassee is a mismatch. For them the I-4 corridor would be better. But for 18-22 FSU is ideal ).

There have been unfortunate exceptions. The Strozier Library had a gunman attack in the Fall of 2014. There are also drunk driving incidents like hit-and-run. An FSU professor was killed in the middle of divorce proceedings. But overall, Tallahassee is much safer than Miami.
Shooting at Strozier Library stuns Florida State

I know where Kendall is. I interviewed for a job there back in 2012. I worked by MIA off the Dolphin Expressway. I had a coworker who was an older Cuban engineer. He had lived through the turmoil of the 1970s cocaine binges in the area. The guy was paranoid any time a stranger walked near his car in the parking lot. I had the impression he had been a victim or knew victims of "Miami crime" with the way he acted. Miami was intense as I understand it in the era of the "Cocaine Cowboys" which is a well known documentary now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQzJRGi9LWc

When the Winston incident occurred, there were female bloggers who insisted the campus was not safe for women. There is a documentary called the "Hunting Ground" and uses FSU and Winston as examples. So I think for female students an extra sense of caution and prevention are necessary. Winston's accuser used to belong to a sorority at FSU that was threatened.
The Sorority House I Lived In At FSU Is Getting Bomb Threats Over The Jameis Winston Rape Case, And I'm Not Surprised

However, for your little brother it should be great as long as he avoids the debauchery that can easily be found. FSU is hard and requires a lot of study time. FSU provides an excellent balance of school and social life for the young teens if they grasp it responsibly. The best part about social life at FSU for me was intramural basketball. Those were great times at the Leach gym which was also where I met my FSU girlfriend (LOL). Tell him to just go to the "Leach" (LOL).
https://campusrec.fsu.edu/sports/im

Last edited by grad_student200; 05-08-2017 at 01:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee