U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-23-2010, 07:03 PM

173 posts, read 275,295 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about life in Tallahassee? I'm going for a job interview and would like to know what the area is like? I'd like to know about what to do there, apartment costs, the heat during the summer (since it's not near the water), whether it feels landlocked or not, and crime and safety info.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 05:38 PM

395 posts, read 503,339 times
Question for you; Where might you be relocating from? You sounds like you're from a coastal area. It would also be helpful if you provide a little information on what you prefer to do for fun and we can tell you if that option is available up here or not. As for everything else:
  • Rent in Tallahassee runs as low as $249 up to $2000 a month depending on location, amenities and number of bedrooms. Being that Tallahassee is a college town, you can find rental property virtually anywhere in the city.
  • Summers in Tallahassee are about as hot as you can get anywhere in the state.
  • Yes Tallahassee feels landlocked and at no other time do you get this feeling than in the dead of summer with no seabreaze. It feels like an oven.
  • Crime here is low for the most part (could be lower but that's a topic for another day). You have your pockets like most small to mid-size Florida cities but most is avoidable.
Good luck with your interview

Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm from coastal RI, which is why the concern over being landlocked.

I like to be outdoors, I love the ocean, so I guess i'd be looking to live somewhere where I could see a lake or something so I'd get the feel of water. I hate feeling like there's nothing around me. I need plenty of shopping and conveniences. I also would like palm trees for a bit of a Florida feel, though I saw none when I was in Tallahassee. And I'd like good medical care and enough doctors around for a choice.

I am also willing to live outside of Tallahassee and commute up to 45 minutes or so to get into Tallahassee from home, if there were places that had water and palm trees around, plus shopping/conveniences. I am also trying to cut my distance to family in Tampa, so I'd probably rather be commuting to Tallahassee from the south, rather than west or north.

I am also looking for a safe area.

That's my laundry list! Thanks for the help.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 AM
JAS

494 posts, read 1,209,081 times
If you just want to "be around" water, then TLH is a very short drive to the coast. The white, sandy beaches may take an hour or two, but St. Marks, Panacea, etc. are less than an hour from downtown TLH. If you lived south of town, even shorter. Having said that, I'm not a big fan of the area south of TLH since I prefer the more hilly terrain on the north side of TLH and the larger oaks, as opposed to the flat, sandy, scrub-pine terrain south of town (but to each his own). Also, the shopping/restaurant selection is quite limited once you get down into Wakulla County (the county south of TLH) and that area. Not to bash rednecks since I am one to a degree, and that's where my father's family is from ... but moving from RI to Wakulla County would be a significant cultural change. And that goes for southern Leon County also.

TLH has a few lakes within Leon County (Lakes Jackson, Iamonia, Miccosukee, Bradford), some with better access than others. There is a small lake near downtown (Lake Ella) with a sidewalk around it, but not something you could place a boat in. This is FL, so there should be enough water to suit your needs. You could also wait for Franklin Street east of the capitol building to flood when it rains.

My suggestion would be to live in-town where you would have the shopping/amenities that you may desire - as well as the ability to meet more people - and head down to the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge if you need a quick coastal fix (again, not a "beachy" area), or to one of the local lakes if you want to Canoe, fish, whatever. Head over to St. George Island if you have time for a day-trip (about a 2-hr drive) and if you want a sugary white-sand beach.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM

27 posts, read 40,572 times
Crime statistics that you can sort per apartment complex.

Tallahassee Online Police Statistics - Disclaimer

Old 10-27-2010, 02:44 PM

7,902 posts, read 5,518,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett68 View Post
Can anyone tell me about life in Tallahassee? I'm going for a job interview and would like to know what the area is like? I'd like to know about what to do there, apartment costs, the heat during the summer (since it's not near the water), whether it feels landlocked or not, and crime and safety info.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
The area is green, hilly, and unlike peninsular Florida culturally or otherwise. This is a good thing.

There is plenty to do in and near the city but be advised it is a "small town' in a lot of ways. It is not a sprawling metropolis, but for its size has more cultural attractions than you would think because of the presence of the universities and its status as the state capital. Outside of the student areas, it is very much a family-oriented town. The population is more or less moderately conservative, but very tolerant. Tallahassee is a Democratic stronghold in otherwise Republican rural north Florida. Local government is, IMHO, very well run as compared to other parts of Florida.

Heat in the summer is hellish. Think Cool Hand Luke sweaty hot as hell hot.

Crime is usually only a significant problem in certain parts of the city, mainly in the south and west parts of town. Minor crime happens all over, but it's not a significant concern in the suburban areas on the north and east parts of town.

WARNING: Beware of opinions of Tallahassee from former students who spent very little time here and really only know about a small part of the city. Several of them haunt these boards and seem to have an obsessive need to spew their ignorance about the place whenever possible. Try to get your information from people who have lived here a long time and lived away from campus...

Old 10-28-2010, 09:45 AM

Thanks for all the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee