Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 02:48 PM

8 posts, read 11,653 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Evelyn. My husband is from Argentina, I'm from Puerto Rico, we got married 7 yrs ago here in PR. We are both in the mid 50's, no kids, one dog. We love it here but my dh is a Programmer/Analyst and there is no more jobs for him here, (he earns the highest income). He knows veryyyyy basic English and he needs very good English to work as a P/A. We are considering moving to north Florida, that way he can work in something simple like a gas station, maintenance, something he won't need to much English and I am fully bilingual but I have only worked all my life as an office clerk and for the last 18 yrs as a waitress at the Intl Airport. The main purpose for us to relocate: my husband needs to learn English (full time) so that he can work in the States where there are many opportunities for a Mainframe Programmer Analyst. We don't have a property so we will relocate with limited amount of money. We need to keep $ profile low. We can't afford to pay more than $700.00 rent/utilities and we don't mind if it is a small 1/1 and we will just work, stay at home and study for the first year.

Questions: What city in the north of Florida will be best for us to find simple jobs while my hb learns English? What city has better studying English opportunities for Latin people? What city is best for people our age to start again ? Lowest cost of living, lowest unemployment?
Tallahassee, Jackonville, any other?
Sorry, but any information will be very valued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 02:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
The best advice I can give you is DO NOT move to Florida without jobs.
The job market here is abysmal, seriously.
Why not buy a copy of Rosetta and get him started that way?

Old 11-06-2010, 05:59 PM

Yes, he is stuying at home with Rosetta but he needs to practice English and here in PR is all in Spanish, that is why we don't move to Miami. Then there are a few States (cities) where unemployment is only 3 or 4% but they are too far and the weather is hard.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:16 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
I'd assume that Tallahassee Community College or Leon County Schools (night school or something) would have some sort of program for adults wishing to learn English. You won't run into too, too many Spanish speakers up here, as the Hispanic population seems fairly marginal in North Florida overall, save for little pockets here and there, which might "force" your husband to learn English. I don't know about the jobs, though.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
Jax might be easier to find a low-level job simply due to its size. But yes, unemployment is tough here so finding a job may be difficult.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Thanks to all of you for taking your time to answer my post. After a lot debate we decided to try Jax. My younger son lives in Orlando and we will visit him for Thanksgiving and from there we will stay a few days in Jax. A friend of my oldest son leaves there and offered her help. I have received links from other forums where my husband can go for free English lessons. Thanks to you all, I will keep coming to the forum. Any help and further suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:44 PM

72 posts, read 187,532 times
Just out of curiousity , did you decide upon TLH or JXV, and what made you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee