Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 13,191 times

Advertisements

I am in Payson AZ. and wife and I looking at a home in FT. White FLA. to raise our APHA horses on . we dont like AZ. or the people . can someone please tell me how the area is ? I noticed alot of sex offenders live there for some reason , are the police jerks to everyone because of that ratio of offenders ? I mind my own business and just wish to be left alone to raise my horses . I do have quite a few tattoos and I don't want to be singled out because of them . and no I am not a sex offender , ex convict or biker just liked tattoos when I was younger . my wife and I are in our late 40's and are looking for a nice small florida town to retire in to raise horses . don't want south florida , lived in laurdale for years and to hot , don't want way north fla either get's to cold. Ihave rumitoid arthritis so need the warmth . any ideas besides ft. white
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:52 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
There's not much in Ft. White. I've only driven through, but it seems like every other pokey North Florida town. You'll probably find yourself driving into Gainesville or Lake City for a lot of things.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,113 times
It's a very small town, laid back. Why Ft. White? Have you every thought of Quincy or Havana, Florida?

Old 01-22-2011, 07:42 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
I live in Lake City,been in area over 20 years,Fort White part of Columbia County has no stores,post office and some small shops and gas stations,this area meaning county, borders the FL Georgia border.Remote which makes it handy for those who want to be left alone.
In the summer you have tubing at the State Park.
Summer hot,winter on cool side,now cold.
Not for me.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
If Fort Lauderdale is too hot, and North Florida is too cold, then Fort White is not for you. Fort White is in North Florida, so apparently it will be too cold for you. And, inland North Florida gets hotter than coastal South Florida in the summer.

It really is in the middle of nowhere. If you want to just be left alone out in the sticks, it's a good spot.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:48 PM

55 posts, read 227,222 times
I lived there (see other posts) and, if you notice on the net that out of about 500 homes-about 1/2 are in foreclosure. Ft White is highly over-rated. It also has high feed store prices. i would suggest the outskirts of Live Oak (Suwannee River for what you are looking for). Possibly Brandford, Wellborn areas. It is considered N Florida but, the cold is only about 2 months out of the yr usually and, I had 8 horses there the past 2 yrs until I moved temporarily (widow now) back around family in the Space coast until I find a nice small town where I can also have my horses again. I love the hospitality of Live Oak area but, the city O's are not too friendly accept the sherriffs.
I mind my own business,too and, it seems like Ft White is just an unfriendly town for the most part-lot of drama for a tiny town. As for the high offenders well...that area within about 100+ sq miles or more is all surrounded by several correction institutes.
Ft White prices verses Suwannee county prices are exceptionally higher.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:39 PM

24 posts, read 75,584 times
Look around the Ocala area and neigboring towns - it's a little farther south, excellent horse country, lots of lakes and springs, the Ocala National Forest to ride in and you'll find all types of people. Ft. White is a VERY small town, with not much too offer and not very close to anything.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 PM

509 posts, read 1,680,280 times
Sex offenders live everywhere, not just Ft. White. You should be fine in Ft. White, but sounds like you've never been there. Maybe visit, before you buy? It is a small, very rural area where you could happily raise your horses. Real estate prices there should be good right now. You probably won't see many cops out there unless you call them. The area is patrolled by the Columbia County Sheriff's Office. Lake City and Gainesville are large enough for shopping, etc., assuming you don't want a real big city. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee