Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:23 PM

7 posts, read 64,634 times

Advertisements

can anyone advise on the safest places to live? any referrals on how to find cheap apartments? what are the best areas to work? what is the atmosphere like? is it culturally diverse? can people survive if they don't have their own transportation? sorry there are so many questions but feeling very nervous about a possible move in the next 3 months...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 08:46 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,183,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida here i come! View Post
can anyone advise on the safest places to live? any referrals on how to find cheap apartments? what are the best areas to work? what is the atmosphere like? is it culturally diverse? can people survive if they don't have their own transportation? sorry there are so many questions but feeling very nervous about a possible move in the next 3 months...thanks!
you've wandered into the JAX forum, try the FLA forum, you might get better results

Old 08-04-2007, 01:31 PM

265 posts, read 989,921 times
florida here I come,
Public transportation is pretty good in Tally. I graduated from FSU. It is a college town so there is always goings on and most all of it revolves around the school. This also means that cheap housing runs rampant with college students. The transporation system can get you anywhere in town you want, the nicest area is up miccosukee (sp) and up thomasville roads. These are more family, mixed ages, areas. and they still have public transportation. I recommend whole heartedly a scooter for this town. Fun I mean really fun and you can go anywhere and they are no where near expensive. Its a great town. On football Saturday's just go with the flow or stay home. AS far as the best areas to work, live, I need to know what it is you do or want to do? But all in all a great town lots of fun for those young at heart. Oh and sorry I didn't mention it is also home to FAMU and the states capitol. That should tell you right there it is a very diverse community.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 33,506 times
Default best places to live in Tallahassee?

I've lived in Tallahassee for 12 years. it's a great place to raise a family.

if you're coming here to go to the university, it's probably better to live closer there but, i personally wouldn't if you have a family. the Northeast side of town is the best place for a family. Great schools. Ox Bottom Manor, Summerbrooke, Golden Eagle are great neighborhoods. A little pricey but if you want a great school district, that's the place to go. On the southeast side of town, there's Southwood which is a really nice neighborhood as well. Again, houses are a bit pricey. There are other neighborhoods like Killearn Estate, Killearn Lakes which are little less for housing but the area is really good, too.

Most people work in town or downtown and the traffic really isn't all that bad esp. if you come from a bigger city.

But I wouldn't live in the suburb if you don't or won't have a car as the buses don't go that far. Maybe in the university area, the public transport is ok but honestly, most people drive here.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 14,305 times
What are the mosquitoes and fleas like in Tallahassee?

Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 PM

815 posts, read 968,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather-Davis View Post
What are the mosquitoes and fleas like in Tallahassee?
As compared to where?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 30,437 times
I have a question about a specific area in Tallahassee. I'm seeing quite a few listings for affordable (~$1k) house rentals in the NW area -- basically in the triangle just above the 10, west of Lake Jackson, and east of the Ochlockonee river area. Is this a safe neighborhood?

We're a young family relocating to Tally, and are looking to rent and "suck it up" somewhere inexpensive/less than great for a year or two while we save for a down payment and get acquainted with the town. Blue collar families, lots of renters, some students, minorities constituting the majority of the population... those are all just fine with us. However, sucking it up does not extend to living somewhere where it's unsafe for the kids to play in the yard during the day.

We're looking for a 3/2 townhome or freestanding house (preferably not an apartment) with a budget of about $1k and are responsible, smoke & pet-free, if anyone has any leads!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,112,285 times
spec its not a bad area the northwest at all.. try looking off of Perkins and Faulk drive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM

8 posts, read 26,161 times
Quote:
We're looking for a 3/2 townhome or freestanding house (preferably not an apartment) with a budget of about $1k and are responsible, smoke & pet-free, if anyone has any leads!
Still looking?

Old 04-08-2013, 05:47 PM

5 posts, read 30,437 times
yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: