Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 09:53 PM

38 posts, read 35,224 times

Advertisements

I have a good job opportunity in Tallahassee, but based on what I'm reading here, reviews are mixed.

For those in the know, what are the five biggest advantages (positives) about living in Tallahassee and the five biggest challenges (negatives)?

FYI: I'm a single 40 year old gay man. Liberal, professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,040,864 times
Coming from a 40+ year old married hetero; politically moderate, professional ...

Advantages (from what I'm guessing your perspective would be):
- More liberal than other parts of northern FL, although with a conservative undercurrent. Generally votes Democrat in elections. No problem at all for a liberal to fit in - I would even say that the city as a whole leans slightly to the left.
- University activities. FSU has a strong arts/music/theatre department, lectures, guest speakers, sports activities, etc.
- A somewhat "green" city, although not to the extent of some places out west. Definitely green in the sense that there is almost zero industrial activity and that trees are everywhere. The nearby coastal areas are still somewhat natural.
- The employment landscape is geared towards professionals (attorneys, consultants, etc.), although I cannot comment on the prospects of finding a job since I no longer live there and I'm not looking.
- Very laid back atmosphere, which can be either an advantage or disadvantage.

Disadvantages:
- Almost no "big business" apart from govt/universities. If you're not an attorney, not in a traditional "high-demand" field (e.g., health care), or if you don't already have something lined up, it could be difficult to enter at a high-level position. Not a very entrepreneurial location in general.
- The somewhat isolated location can be frustrating for some people. The closest major metro areas are Jax (~ 3 hr drive), Orlando/Tampa (~ 4-5 hrs), Atlanta (~ 5 hrs). The airport is small and doesn't have a lot of cheap flights, especially northbound.
- For those who desire "Florida" in the same form as Miami, Tampa, etc. -- TLH is not that. It is basically a large southern town with govt/universities. You can't walk to the beach, you won't see much nightlife geared towards those who older than 25, etc. Similar to my laid-back comment above - either an advantage or a disadvantage based on what you are seeking.
- Very hot/humid during the summer, without the benefit of a sea breeze like some other places in FL.
- Some areas have a high crime rate, but that can be avoided by not going to the areas at night.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Default There's a distinct feeling of isolation in Tallahassee

It feels like a small town removed from any big cities and metropolitan areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
Coming from a 40+ year old married hetero; politically moderate, professional ...

Advantages (from what I'm guessing your perspective would be):
- More liberal than other parts of northern FL, although with a conservative undercurrent. Generally votes Democrat in elections. No problem at all for a liberal to fit in - I would even say that the city as a whole leans slightly to the left.
- University activities. FSU has a strong arts/music/theatre department, lectures, guest speakers, sports activities, etc.
- A somewhat "green" city, although not to the extent of some places out west. Definitely green in the sense that there is almost zero industrial activity and that trees are everywhere. The nearby coastal areas are still somewhat natural.
- The employment landscape is geared towards professionals (attorneys, consultants, etc.), although I cannot comment on the prospects of finding a job since I no longer live there and I'm not looking.
- Very laid back atmosphere, which can be either an advantage or disadvantage.

Disadvantages:
- Almost no "big business" apart from govt/universities. If you're not an attorney, not in a traditional "high-demand" field (e.g., health care), or if you don't already have something lined up, it could be difficult to enter at a high-level position. Not a very entrepreneurial location in general.
- The somewhat isolated location can be frustrating for some people. The closest major metro areas are Jax (~ 3 hr drive), Orlando/Tampa (~ 4-5 hrs), Atlanta (~ 5 hrs). The airport is small and doesn't have a lot of cheap flights, especially northbound.
- For those who desire "Florida" in the same form as Miami, Tampa, etc. -- TLH is not that. It is basically a large southern town with govt/universities. You can't walk to the beach, you won't see much nightlife geared towards those who older than 25, etc. Similar to my laid-back comment above - either an advantage or a disadvantage based on what you are seeking.
- Very hot/humid during the summer, without the benefit of a sea breeze like some other places in FL.
- Some areas have a high crime rate, but that can be avoided by not going to the areas at night.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:27 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Its a nice place.. many people who live here end up moving away then moving back later..

Nice family friendly city.

Awesome parks

Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 PM

76 posts, read 337,089 times
From the bare minimum of what I'm incurring about Tallahassee (and I do mean bare, take what I say w/ a grain of Nature's Seasoning), it seems somewhat like my native Colorado Springs: a big, tiny city( cultural, geographical, etc. differences aside).

Old 06-05-2012, 10:57 PM

38 posts, read 35,224 times
I just returned from my initial visit. I found the city to be very beautiful, enchanting with all of the trees. Plenty for your average person to do. Housing is affordable, and the people are professional (without being arrogant).

I liked the "cozy" feel and how easy it is to get around. Seems like the kind of place one could settle in and just enjoy life. As long as your interests are pretty mainstream and your lifestyle is simple, it seems like a good place to live.

A little disconcerting is the HUGE difference between the "right" and "wrong" side of the tracks.

P.S. The heat... wow. And it's only the first of June.

Last edited by lokaydokay; 06-05-2012 at 11:09 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Yeah, no kidding about the heat. And it will stay this way until October. But this is Florida. It's hot everywhere in Florida in the summer. Some people like it; some don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee