Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 04:47 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times

Advertisements

I will be moving on Tally from Miami to attend FSU for the next two years. What are some lifestyle changes I can expect to see while I am here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 05:31 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
If you're a fairly young student, you will probably love it because I know people who go to school here and they love the campus life. If you're older than that, you will find it boring coming from Miami. I'm a Miami transplant too, and Tallahassee is definitely a sleepy town.

Here are some things I noticed:

You don't have the threatening traffic and hours-long conga line commutes;
You don't have constant crime and murders;
You don't have never-ending treeless pavement;
People are far less superficial and materialistic;
You'll have neighborhoods so tree-hidden you'll never know they're there;

On the other hand, you'll miss the availability of absolutely everything from cool clubs, to varieties of food products, and all kinds of stores;
You'll miss all the cities and towns connected to Miami and the proximity of Ft. Lauderdale, Boca, everything (Tallahassee is near NOTHING). I used to love getting in my car and suddenly I was in a different city. Can't do that now;
People cook here a lot - there aren't that many restaurants and you'll soon have exhausted all of them;
There's 1 mall, that's all. There was a second mall but it is nearly dead already and they've been trying to sell it;
The choices are limited.

The problem with Tally is not so much that it's a small town, it's that there are no bigger cities near it unless you get in your car and drive 3 hours, so you seldom get a break from this.

Of course, I'm a city person. No country or forest person here. In fact, I wouldn't mind living in L.A., Boston, Philly, NYC, etc. Love places dense with people!!!!! This place is not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I will be moving on Tally from Miami to attend FSU for the next two years. What are some lifestyle changes I can expect to see while I am here?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
Are you a graduate student? Law student? Undergraduate? Are you married, single, partnered? Got kids? These things all make a difference in how you'll perceive Tallahassee.

In general, you'll find life slower here (including restaurant service) and more relaxed. People here complain about the traffic, but I moved here from Miami myself and I tell them they have no idea what they're talking about. There's much less crime, and people are much friendlier. The checkout lady at Publix will engage you in real conversation. People use "ma'am" and "sir" a lot.

That's in Tallahassee as a whole. As for on campus, I'm less knowledgeable, having never lived on that side of town. Football rules this town from August to December, but there are other things to do. You just have to look for them.

The weather is hotter here in summer than it is in Miami, and colder in winter. Car insurance is much less expensive, but some say utilities are more expensive -- I'm not sure about that, though. If you're flying into or out of Tallahassee you'll most likely have to change planes in Atlanta, and the air fares to and from here are ridiculous. Public transportation is pretty lame, but then it's not great in Miami either. The beaches are much farther away, but they're really great beaches. (St. George Island, Panama City, Destin, Ft. Walton, etc.)

Lots of people come here for FSU and end up staying. Others can't wait to get out. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:57 PM

76 posts, read 337,157 times
Hey, I'm wanting to relocate to the Florida state capital myself, so I hope you enjoy your stay. I'd love to know how your tenure is there, keep us updated!

Old 06-09-2012, 12:06 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,102 times
You will like it here, its a great city.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:15 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
If you're a fairly young student, you will probably love it because I know people who go to school here and they love the campus life. If you're older than that, you will find it boring coming from Miami. I'm a Miami transplant too, and Tallahassee is definitely a sleepy town.

Here are some things I noticed:

You don't have the threatening traffic and hours-long conga line commutes;
You don't have constant crime and murders;
You don't have never-ending treeless pavement;
People are far less superficial and materialistic;
You'll have neighborhoods so tree-hidden you'll never know they're there;

On the other hand, you'll miss the availability of absolutely everything from cool clubs, to varieties of food products, and all kinds of stores;
You'll miss all the cities and towns connected to Miami and the proximity of Ft. Lauderdale, Boca, everything (Tallahassee is near NOTHING). I used to love getting in my car and suddenly I was in a different city. Can't do that now;
People cook here a lot - there aren't that many restaurants and you'll soon have exhausted all of them;
There's 1 mall, that's all. There was a second mall but it is nearly dead already and they've been trying to sell it;
The choices are limited.

The problem with Tally is not so much that it's a small town, it's that there are no bigger cities near it unless you get in your car and drive 3 hours, so you seldom get a break from this.

Of course, I'm a city person. No country or forest person here. In fact, I wouldn't mind living in L.A., Boston, Philly, NYC, etc. Love places dense with people!!!!! This place is not one of them.
Your description sounds wonderful! How is gardening in this area? Can you grow good tomatoes, other veggies? What is the soil like? Clay? Sandy?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:58 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,394 times
The soil is sandy south of town and clay north of town. Shouldn't have a problem with a garden.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
Is there a farmers market or a place that sells fresh food? I noticed quiet a number of farms when I went here looking for an apartment.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:30 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,102 times
Yes, there are farmers markets, and Natural grocery stores such as Earth Fare, Fresh Market and New Leaf Co-op.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Is there a farmers market or a place that sells fresh food? I noticed quiet a number of farms when I went here looking for an apartment.
In today's Tallahassee Democrat (I couldn't find it in the online version):

Growers market at Lake Ella, Wednesdays 3 p.m.-dusk
Green Grocer's market at Fla. DEP (Blair Stone Rd.), Thursdays noon-2 p.m.
Lafayette St. farmer's market at Video 21 Thursdays 3 p.m.-dusk
New community farmers market on Shamrock South at Fellowship Presbyterian Church, Tuesdays and Fridays 2-6:30 p.m.
Sopchoppy growers market in Sopchoppy, Saturdays 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
Port St. Joe's salt air market in Port St. Joe, first and third Saturdays 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Sunshine growers market in Southwood, Mondays noon-2 p.m.
Innovation Park farmers market, Mondays 3 p.m.-dusk
And then there's the Downtown Market, Saturday mornings

I think the list is in the paper every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee