Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:41 PM

4 posts, read 9,411 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Tallahassee in a few weeks.
I am looking to first rent an apartment/condo that has a pool. I am in my 40's and would like a decent neighborhood and a quiet place with good management. Trying to avoid student apartment housing or places that cater to students so as to keep the noise down (yes I know all students are not the same-I was one once as well). Looking for more age 30+ professionals, family's, etc.. I also have a small dog.
Budget-up to $1k (ideally 2br) a month for rent. I will be renting furniture from Southern Furniture Leasing.

I have poured through the apartment ratings site for Tall, Craigslist, tons of rental sites, management companies and I am getting so tired. Obviously you could find a nice place but perhaps it is in a bad neighborhood or a noisy complex, thin walls, not near any shoppingh, in the middle of traffic congestion, etc..

***I could really use some help.
I will be working near the OLD tall mall so a 30 minute or commute or less in rush hour is the limit.

Anyone have comments on these apartments or even the area?? Any other suggestions appreciated....

1. Apartments or places off of Tharpe street

2. The Club at Lake Jackson apartments
5001 Lakefront Drive

3. Barrington Park Condos if one is available to rent
2801 Chancellorsville Drive

4. Evergreens at Mahan apartments
900 Riggins Road

5. Victoria Grand
2350 Phillips Rd

6. Plantations at Killearn
2305 Killearn Center Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32308

7. Camaron at Wood Crest off of John Knox Road. I thought this was more of a business area...

8. I heard that the Southwood area may be too far away or perhaps only one way to get to my place
of work. But not sure that is true. Also I do not want to have to drive a long way if I need to go to the mall, home depot/lowes, bed bath beyond, variety of places to eat,, you get the idea...

Thanks in advance
Patty

Last edited by pattyjamas; 06-27-2012 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,034,413 times
I actually lived in Camaron at Woodcrest for a year about 20 yrs ago. Probably the most convenient location if you are working near the TLH Mall. I can't speak for the current state of the complex or the type of residents since it has been a while for me.

Generally speaking, the north side of the city (Barrington Condos, Plantations at Killearn) will have very few students and a more professional vibe. I would stay away from Tharpe Street.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:02 AM

Thanks,
Am now thinking that Evergreen at Mahan may be a decent choice.

Patty

Old 06-29-2012, 12:55 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,966,478 times
Although I have no personal experience with any of these apartment complexes, Evergreen and Victoria Grand are in very nice locations (although Evergreen is pretty close to some railroad tracks, if that's a consideration for you). They're not far from one another, so the commute to the mall would probably be about the same.

Southwood is nice but it's pretty far from the mall. I would stay away from Tharpe. The one on John Knox is probably closest to the mall, but I don't know about the area.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:51 AM

Yes I would worry about hearing a train horn as I am such a light sleeper. Be good to get some other opinions on a non student population and quiet place in a good neighborhood.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2012, 02:32 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,118,914 times
Killearn is a good bet.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:39 PM

Thanks, why Killearn, and do you work for Killearn?

DO you mean The Plantations at Killearn or another one in that area?

Thanks

Old 06-30-2012, 08:15 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,034,413 times
My guess is that he means the Killearn area. Killearn is a very large, well-established neighborhood in NE Tallahassee - one of the first subdivisions north of I-10, certainly the largest when it was developed in the 1960's. It's now considered an area of town or a neighborhood, as opposed to a subdivision. The apartments are on the "outskirts" of Killearn, and that part of town likely has the fewest college students within the city.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,321 times
Try Capital Walk Apartments, just off Capital Circle NW near I-10. Quite, clean, gated, pets allowed. We moved in a few months ago and really like it here.. the few students seem to be of the more serious nature. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,306 times
Stay away from Tharpe street. It is full of college students.

I would also try the complexes along Blairstone Road or Magnolia Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: