U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2012, 05:06 PM
 
43 posts, read 53,356 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

I was wondering if these areas are okay for a single person. I'm currently looking in the Tallhassee area and would like a single family home. I pasted some zip codes below, four to be exact, can someone please fill me in on these areas? I won't be moving for about a year and a half. I've been attending college here part time. I will have a degree in computer application technology, how is the job market for a degree in Computer Science in the Tallahassee area? Thanks in advance for any input.

4005 Roberts Avenue Tallahassee, FL 32310

2713 N Lake Henrietta Street Tallahassee, FL 32310

824 Burntleaf Ln Tallahassee, FL 32310

and last

3935 Roberts Avenue Tallahassee, FL 32310
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2012, 06:44 PM
TD*
 
1,517 posts, read 3,128,567 times
Reputation: 574
Computer Science is a really sought after degree.

You should be able to find a job here at the state, or with a private employer.

The four addresses you posted are not in the greatest parts of town...

If i were you, I would look on the North side of Tallahassee, or the East side of town.

Much nicer areas... Northwest is ok as well.


You might want to rent an apartment for the first year or 6 months to get a lay of the land before committing to buying a place.

Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 PM
 
43 posts, read 53,356 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Computer Science is a really sought after degree.

You should be able to find a job here at the state, or with a private employer.

The four addresses you posted are not in the greatest parts of town...

If i were you, I would look on the North side of Tallahassee, or the East side of town.

Much nicer areas... Northwest is ok as well.


You might want to rent an apartment for the first year or 6 months to get a lay of the land before committing to buying a place.

Just my opinion.

Do you think you could give me a zip code or something to lookup for the north or east side of the town please? Thank you for the reply also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 AM
TD*
 
1,517 posts, read 3,128,567 times
Reputation: 574
32312, 32308, 32303.

Check out those 3 zip codes.

The prices are going to be much higher for homes, but it is worth it. much nicer area.

Although with lots of homes on the market, you could pick up a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 AM
 
43 posts, read 53,356 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
32312, 32308, 32303.

Check out those 3 zip codes.

The prices are going to be much higher for homes, but it is worth it. much nicer area.

Although with lots of homes on the market, you could pick up a deal.
Thanks TD! good looking out Yeah the housing market isn't getting any better it's a buyers market for sure. I checked some of the house on realtor.com and they look to be in a good area. Can someone tell me how far the closet airport is away from these places, and how far I would have to drive for a job ? Thanks again for the replies

Last edited by mike_316; 08-24-2012 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 AM
TD*
 
1,517 posts, read 3,128,567 times
Reputation: 574
The Tallahassee Airport is located in the extreme southside of Tallahassee, near where you were originally looking for a house.

From the northside of town you can get there in 20-30 minutes depending on traffic.

Your commute for a job might be 30 minutes maybe 45 at most if you live in extreme north tally, depending on where you live.

Reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 11:22 AM
 
43 posts, read 53,356 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
The Tallahassee Airport is located in the extreme southside of Tallahassee, near where you were originally looking for a house.

From the northside of town you can get there in 20-30 minutes depending on traffic.

Your commute for a job might be 30 minutes maybe 45 at most if you live in extreme north tally, depending on where you live.

Reasonable.
Very resonable driving time. Well, I think I'm sold on Tallahassee, seems like everything I want. What's the weather like durning the winter season their, and I have never seen the Ocean and was wondering how long the drive would be to see it? Thanks for reply TD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 11:33 AM
TD*
 
1,517 posts, read 3,128,567 times
Reputation: 574
No problem Mike...

The ocean is 18 miles from Tallahassee directly south.

You can see it at the very closest local beach (Shell Point)

but I would reccomend you atleast go to Alligator Point at the state park there. (50 minutes)

The Nicest beach within a short drive is St George Island.

Its a 1.5 hour drive but its very nice. Has a state park on the island, and also, a few hotels, condos, and houses for rent.


You definately will enjoy St George Island...

If i just want to see the water, i go to Alligator Point or Mashes Sands in Panacea, or like i mentioned Shell Point.



If you drive 2.5 -3.5 hours you can get to incredible beaches in the panhandle Fort Waltin/Destin/Panama City/Pensacola.


I almost forgot, a very unspoiled natural beach can be found at st joseph peninsula state park.. It has pristine sugar white sand, 20-30 foot sand dunes, and its just beautiful, without development.

Go there, if you dont want all the tourists to bother you.

(2 hour drive)



Winter is our best season... most people would not think that florida gets cold, but north florida certainly does. Florida winter weather is highly effected by whatever cold ftonts happen to be passing by. If there are no fronts, it wouldnt be weird for it to be 75 degrees during a winter day, but if you get a cold front it can stay cold for weeks im talking Highs in the 50's and lows in the 20's and even the teens sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 11:36 AM
TD*
 
1,517 posts, read 3,128,567 times
Reputation: 574
The old saying is, if you can tough it our through a Tallahassee Summer you can live anywhere! The summer months are incredibly hot, and the humidity is overwhelming.. Makes you want to stay in the A/C whenever possible. But we cant have everything can we?

Im glad september is almost here, and the sweltering temperatures will slowly be subsiding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM
 
43 posts, read 53,356 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
The old saying is, if you can tough it our through a Tallahassee Summer you can live anywhere! The summer months are incredibly hot, and the humidity is overwhelming.. Makes you want to stay in the A/C whenever possible. But we cant have everything can we?

Im glad september is almost here, and the sweltering temperatures will slowly be subsiding.
I live in Michigan right now, it's been really hot here, and I love the humidity.i'm weird, I know I like hot weather for some reason, but hate the cold weather we have here. I was looking in the Tampa area, but someone told me that Tallahassee would be more for me, and I'm really glad they. Thanks again TD. I plan on saving two to three weeks vacation, and stopping down their to check it all out. I plan on saving a ton of cash, and paying for house with cash. There's nothing like the look on a bankers face when you tell them,"I have the money up front, no need for a loan." I've done this once already, the look on their face is ticked at first, then sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top