Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 PM

8 posts, read 19,414 times

Advertisements

I'll be graduating from Georgia State University with a degree in geography. Honestly, there are a lot of jobs in geoscience if you have a background in geographic information systems. But, GIS is not my strong suit. I just landed a job in marketing with a company that produces road races and triathlons. I'm a runner and triathlete so it is right up my alley but has zero to do with geography. However, without that piece of paper I never would have gotten the job.

Hang in there with the math and the stats. For me, I had to go back and retake all the basic algebra courses because I was afraid that I didn't remember anything. I did that at a community college. When I entered GSU I had to take stats and that scared the heck out of me. Luckily I had a TA who was a great teacher and so, so patient. He phrased things in ways that made me understand. FSU has great math labs so if you need help you can really find some great graduate student help in the labs...and it's free!

Don't let the subject matter intimidate you. You know you can do this. You have been raising 2 children alone for 3 years and you have been through a divorce. You are strong!

Funny story: My first GIS class required a lab where everything was on a windows computer which I had never worked on. I'm a Mac person. Day one of lab, everyone knows how to access the K drive, get the directions, load the data, and I didn't even know what the start button was! I was so scared I almost started crying right there. I remember thinking that I was in way over my head...what was I thinking I could learn complicated, scientific computer stuff??? Now, I'm a whiz at it and I can laugh at where I was when I started GSU. Yikes! It was scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 AM

168 posts, read 394,764 times
How fun finally getting into something you will enjoy doing. IF you ever want to get into something with your degree though, one of my professors, used to draw up maps for a major oil company,to find oil. He has a PhD in Oceanography, and two Masters I believe; one in Geoscience. He rattled off several things to do with that degree to make a lot of money. It isn't my strong point so it went over my head but I'll be glad to get you together with him if you ever have an interest. BTW...I have been divorced for 3 years; my boys are 18 and 21; I spent 25 years supporting and marketing my former husband's IT career. So, now that the divorce happened I am having to come up with a new life dream.. Thanks for the encouragement with the math; however they have said I don't need to take Algebra or Stats right now so even though I told the advisor "you know one day even with degrees I AM going to have to go back and pass these two classes!" She said "better you than me, I won't" lol. I believe I can do anything I set my mind to do, so I refuse to give up...but...on the other hand, I need to get my degree, get in shape in every sense of the word, and get my life going. =D

Old 04-29-2013, 01:50 PM

29 posts, read 49,071 times
I just wanted to add that I agree about Gaines street; the construction that is going on is a big improvement. I work in the area and now am a pedestrian in the area a few days a week. It looks much better. I'm guessing many of us were unaware of the little pocket of art that has bloomed over there. There are a variety of small businesses springing up in that Railroad Square area and I believe the city is encouraging it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee