Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 03:00 PM

7 posts, read 49,597 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm looking at commuting to school at Florida A&M University, but my husband is going to be working at Eglin AFB. I really haven't researched towns yet, but the halfway point looks to be somewhere a little west of Oakdale (off of I-10). Mapquest puts that at about an hour and 20 minutes. Is this doable, or is Tallahassee traffic (and I-10 traffic) nuts? I don't know anything about this area of the country, so any input is appreciated. I was thinking I could probably commute in early and avoid the morning rush, but I'd definitely hit the evening rush (is that bad??). Also, is there any public transportation I should look into (rail, bus, etc) to make this easier/cheaper, or is that pretty much non-existent once outside of Tallahassee? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 08:00 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,300,615 times
Yikes....Once you GET to Tallahassee, and take Monroe down to FLorida A&M, it's gonna be suck traffic unless you come in early.

The rush hour OUT of Tallahassee along Monroe is also awful.

Taking the "back way" in through Capital Circle MIGHT be better, so long as they have finished the construction.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,033,818 times
Default Very long commute

Rail is nonexistent, and public transportation is limited to within Tallahassee (and you're much better off driving). Traffic isn't horrible compared to major cities, but a few of the major roads get backed up during rush hours. If you're familiar with town, you can find ways around it at times.

The major issue is living west of Tallahassee between Eglin and TLH. Northwest FL (the "Panhandle") is extremely rural, except for a few small towns near the I-10 exits. The drive from TLH to Eglin is at least 3 hours - probably closer to 3.5 - so you're looking at a 1.5-hr drive at the least for each person. If you're accustomed to living in larger cities, or larger towns with more amenities, you will have culture shock. Much of the land west of TLH is owned by either the government (Natl Forest) or St. Joe Company (timber land that they are slowly developing).

You should visit in person before making significant plans. You will have a significant commute, and you won't exactly be heading home to a great place to live. I'm not knocking the small towns - my parents are from a couple of those places and I still have family in a few of those towns - but I need something bigger.

By the way, Tallahassee is a nice place to live. I will likely move back there down the road. But you couldn't commute to Eglin from there, not unless he can borrow a jet for the commute.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:28 PM

7 posts, read 49,597 times
Thanks for the input. Any idea what a SMALL (ie. cheap) apartment goes for in the Tallahassee area? If we had to have 2 places, would be looking for something convenient to Florida A&M (and not in the wrong direction for visits to Eglin AFB on weekends) and in a safe area. Any suggestions for general locations or places to avoid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee