Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 31,716 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, really a very nice place to raise a family. Of course FSU is the center of town. I lived in tallahassee for five years and now that I have moved away really miss it. Tallahassee is more like Floria-bama than Florida. It's not flat like the rest of Florida. Really the whole panhandle is nice and if I were to move back to Florida it would probally be somehwere in the panhandle. Tallahassee has everything you could want. The only thing that I didnt really like about it is that it is several hours from a large city. Of, course if you dont really care for large citys it doesnt matter anyways. There are alot of bumbs in downtown Tallahassee there is a homeless shelter there and you can drive by it on Tennessee st and see everyone pandering around. I think the city is trying to shut it down, I know that the shelters federal grant was in question and I dont think the grant was going to be renewed. I think Tallahassee is something like 100 feet above sea level and like tweenty miles from the coast so that alone provides some insulation from hurricanes and the like. I would live in Killarn and commute to Tallahassee. I miss it on the whole. Home prices arent outrageous like in many parts of florida but on the other hand there is a limited job market as well. Wages are somewhat repressed and opportunity narrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 07:03 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,908,001 times
It's got Bible-belt elements but is more liberal and college-oriented (especially compared to the surrounding region). Tallahassee is definitely on an upward swing with the continued growth of FSU and (unfortunately) of the state government. Lots of new construction and less blighted areas.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:00 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,178 times
The surrounding area is very Bible-Belt but Tallahassee is relatively liberal (we are talking Old South Dixiecrat church lady liberal, not tatooed lesbian liberal). In other words, the Democrats here look just like the Republicans, but there is a lot of bipartisanship and the tolerance index is pretty high.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
not tatooed lesbian liberal)
Haha, there are plenty of those kinds too.... if that's your cup of tea, I can tell you where to find em

Old 02-12-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Haha, there are plenty of those kinds too.... if that's your cup of tea, I can tell you where to find em

Believe me, I know where to find them - or at least I used to. Not that I ever went into Brothers, even on a dare LOL.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,768 times
Default ratio of flora to bama?

My wife and I are originally from central/south florida, so I am trying to get a feel for this part of the state. In the past I really enjoyed living in georgia, but not so much in Alabama. Which does Tallahassee most resemble? I am considering Grad School there at FSU, but I have a wife and toddler, so it's not the college years for us so much. I am hoping that we can find an eclectic sort of vibe in the city. Is this realistic?

Is it "small town" meaning narrow visioned, or relaxed and open?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directorscoffee View Post
My wife and I are originally from central/south florida, so I am trying to get a feel for this part of the state. In the past I really enjoyed living in georgia, but not so much in Alabama. Which does Tallahassee most resemble? I am considering Grad School there at FSU, but I have a wife and toddler, so it's not the college years for us so much. I am hoping that we can find an eclectic sort of vibe in the city. Is this realistic?

Is it "small town" meaning narrow visioned, or relaxed and open?
More relaxed and open - and more like Georgia, IMHO. It isn't really that small of a town, it's more of an atmosphere thing. Most people here tend to be socially liberal or moderate, or otherwise pretty tolerant.

I live on the north side of town and only about 12 miles from the Georgia border.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:20 PM

5 posts, read 25,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Can someone tell me a little more about Tallahassee?:

Is it more of a bible-belt community, or a college community? Is it more conservative or more liberal?

Being a conservative, I feel Tally is pretty liberal.

Can a good small house be had for ~$130,000? Is hurricane insurance for homeowners expensive?

You maybe hard pressed to find a nice house in a good neighborhood for that price. Our homeowners insurace is $1100 a year.

Is the city on an upward or a downward swing?

Not sure

Any other input as to Tallahassee's desireability as a place to live would be greatly appreciated.
I have lived in Tallahassee for 14 years & enjoy it. Some of the time the traffic can really get to ya. All in all, its not too bad.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:25 PM

25 posts, read 93,082 times
once you get into the outskirts, it's more Bible beater soccer moms. We live a mile from the college and it is okay in this area. The housing cost is gonna depend on where in the city you want it and what you consider "good". I don't know about upward or downward. They seem to be attempting to revitalize various sections of the community, but then elsewhere they build offices and stripmalls with no stores to put in them. It will always be hard to find a job because with state/city/county you have the buddy system working at it's best and everything else is taken by the hundreds of qualified graduates entering the market each term. As far as from a stuff to do aspect, unless you like nature and outdoor activity there really isn't much. There are some good museums, but their displays rarely rotate. My father is one of the directors at the Civic Center and their calendar is booked less than a quarter of what it was 8-10 years ago, there used to be something going on there most nights, now it seems like they are lucky to get something twice a month.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,885 times
I don't know what gumbyfly was thinking but, there are plenty nice size 3-4 br homes for 130,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee